It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

feelmylife HB User
Tension headaches and eye pressure?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the headache board and have a question--I apologize in advance that it's long, but I'm not sure what's important to include and what's extraneous.

I have had tension headaches for years (or at least that's what I think they are). The muscles around my temple and at the back of my head feel clenched. Miserable, but I can deal with it, and my doc gave me Esgic for when it's really bad since NSAIDs don't really work.

However, over the last year or two the headaches have gotten much more localized and often involve pain behind my right eye. When this happens the vein in my temple throbs, and the entire eyeball feels like it's swollen--lots of pressure behind it. At its worst the pain behind the eye is hot and sharp and utterly excruciating.

Dropping barometric pressure can bring on a headache, but even on a day like today, crystal clear sky and no "weather" forecast, my head is aching.

My allergy doc (I'm allergic to pollens, animals, mold, etc) did a CT of my sinus and said it looks good, so at his suggestion I'm seeing a neurologist, but that appt is a month away.

In the meantime, I'm having headaches around the clock, with lots of eye pressure (just the right eye). I can feel that the muscles in my head are clenched, and I consciously try to relax them, but that only lasts a moment or two. And the pressure behind my eye is awful.

Oh--I clench when I sleep. I have a nightguard, but often wake up with the sides of my face feeling sore/tired. And in case it's relevant, I also recently (3 weeks ago) started taking Wellbutrin for depression/anxiety, and take Astelin and Pulmicort for allergy/asthma issues.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be going on, what I can do to deal with it until I see the neuro?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

atchoo HB User
Re: Tension headaches and eye pressure?

Could it be Horton's neuralgia (also called cluster headache) in addition to the tension headaches? I have that, and the symptoms are: very localized pain behind my left eye, red and swollen eye, drooping eyelid, very tender head on the right side, feeling of pressure. It comes and goes and sometimes I have months without any Horton's trouble and then I can have several bouts a day.

Check out Cluster headaches with Google and see if your symptoms resemble those described on the pages.. Good luck! Oh, and I have noticed that sometimes a combination of caffeine and ibuprofen helps, but if you are diagnosed with this, your neuro will perscribe some stronger and more topical medicines.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

feelmylife HB User

Thanks for the reply--I will check it out. Aleve and a cup of coffee or a coke definitely does take the edge off, as does massage. We'll see what the neuro says.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

Try 2 Advil AND 2 Percogesci, with a cup of coffee, followed by rubbing some Bengay into your neck and shoulders, and doing some neck sretches

Closed Thread