It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

te34resa HB User
someone please please answer! at the end of my tether here.

Please someone advise me here! My head is driving me crazy and I can't take much more. I already have migraines but this pain, which I'm assuming is sinus related, is different and doesn't respond to anything although it can sometimes lead to a migraine. I first started these headaches over 20 years ago and I've never found a cure over the years although they've gotten better and worse over that time. My symptoms are similar to lots I've read here- pain over the right eye mainly, as if someones pushing with a thumb into my eye, pain mainly down the right side of my face, into my cheekbones, temple and down my neck. Right now it feels like there's a peg on my nose and I'm blocked up. I seem to suffer from permanent catarrh and dripping down my throat and do get lots of colds probably as I work with children. My throat always feels clogged up. Stuffy headaches can come on really quickly,particularly due to heat. Right now my eyes feel like someones pulling them at the back so I feel dizzy and dazed. Sinus tablets don't help and migraine meds only if it's become a migraine. I can't sleep with these heads as they affect my neck and I can't rest. When I'm about to get a bad attack my head often feels tingly like I've been dragged along the carpet or something! Over the years, doctors seem to offer the same old advice like steam inhalation, irrigation, and more antibiotics...like I hadn't thought of using steam after all these years! I have great difficulty working like this as I feel dazed and irritable all the time. This is driving my husband mad too- he also has nose problems but his is caused by polyps which he wants removing so he thinks I should just have surgery and that will cure it. I've never been referred to the hospital- doctors just look up my nose and say it's fine! It can't be fine to live in pain for years, can it?? I also have IBS so I have to be careful what I take- medicines can upset my stomach for days. I find cold helps the pain rather than heat, also turning in certain postions can start my head off. Please can someone understand what I'm talking about? Doctors just start talking a soon as I'm in the room- "yes, it's an infection, post-nasal drip" etc etc but this has been occurring for years!! Many thanks for any answers Teresa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
(female)

wendyjcs HB User
Re: someone please please answer! at the end of my tether here.

Hello. I don't have the vicious headaches, but you sound so miserable, I thought I'd toss this out there:
1) Is there any possibility that you feel better on days when you eat less? If so, it could be food allergies. If you can, try kicking yourself through a couple of days of a spring water fast or exotic foods diet (e.g. something like buffalo meat and mangos, weird stuff you normally don't eat). If at first you feel worse, then start to feel better, you might be reacting to something in your diet.
2) Also considering that you so often feel like you have an "infection" or some sort of chronic cold, ESPECIALLY if you've take a lot of antibiotics in your lifetime, you might be suffering from systemic Candida. There's a product called Three-Lac that might help you. It's incredible the myriad of mysterious symptoms that people have suffered from this very common problem.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

2 things to try:

1. If it is sinusitis, take a Drixoral decongestant twice a day, and also use a snort 2% saline (1 teaspoon of salt in cup of warm water, place nose in the cup and inhale, then blow vigerously... repeat twice a day) Continue for 2 weeks. Advil etc can also be taken as neede for pain

2. You may have tension headache

Take 2 Advil AND 2 Percogesic, and rub some Bengay into your neck and shoulders, and do some neck strecthes. See a physical therapist.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

Esoph HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by te34resa View Post
Please someone advise me here! My head is driving me crazy and I can't take much more. I already have migraines but this pain, which I'm assuming is sinus related, is different and doesn't respond to anything although it can sometimes lead to a migraine. I first started these headaches over 20 years ago and I've never found a cure over the years although they've gotten better and worse over that time. My symptoms are similar to lots I've read here- pain over the right eye mainly, as if someones pushing with a thumb into my eye, pain mainly down the right side of my face, into my cheekbones, temple and down my neck. Right now it feels like there's a peg on my nose and I'm blocked up. I seem to suffer from permanent catarrh and dripping down my throat and do get lots of colds probably as I work with children. My throat always feels clogged up. Stuffy headaches can come on really quickly,particularly due to heat. Right now my eyes feel like someones pulling them at the back so I feel dizzy and dazed. Sinus tablets don't help and migraine meds only if it's become a migraine. I can't sleep with these heads as they affect my neck and I can't rest. When I'm about to get a bad attack my head often feels tingly like I've been dragged along the carpet or something! Over the years, doctors seem to offer the same old advice like steam inhalation, irrigation, and more antibiotics...like I hadn't thought of using steam after all these years! I have great difficulty working like this as I feel dazed and irritable all the time. This is driving my husband mad too- he also has nose problems but his is caused by polyps which he wants removing so he thinks I should just have surgery and that will cure it. I've never been referred to the hospital- doctors just look up my nose and say it's fine! It can't be fine to live in pain for years, can it?? I also have IBS so I have to be careful what I take- medicines can upset my stomach for days. I find cold helps the pain rather than heat, also turning in certain postions can start my head off. Please can someone understand what I'm talking about? Doctors just start talking a soon as I'm in the room- "yes, it's an infection, post-nasal drip" etc etc but this has been occurring for years!! Many thanks for any answers Teresa
Hi there - I'm sorry that you are suffering so much. I've got a doozy of a headache myself right now and I am beginning to think that HORMONES may be involved. I recall my mom going through menopause and she ALWAYS had horrible migraines - plus the sinus issues as well. She tried all kinds of over-the counter-pain killers and she was also on some low dose estrogen/progesterone pill - I don't remember exactly ( I'm calling her soon to ask her what finally helped) - but I'm making an appointment with my doctor next week to look into it. Although I've been told that I'm too young to have peri-menopause symptoms - I have heard that some women start in their 30's.

Just another angle for you to look into - the other posted suggestions sounded good also. I'll be looking into these things as well. Like you, I am so sick and tired of suffering all the pain and discomfort.

Best of luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

I used to have crazy sinus/headache problems and it turned out to be a combination of allergies and acid reflux.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi teresa,

i also have migraines, and the constant stuffy/runny nose, and post-nasal-drip symptoms. sometimes a headache doesn't respond to anything, and then i know it's more than a migraine. the pain is utterly horrendous!!! at times, even vomiting doesn't bring relief anymore--maybe vomiting and then taking imitrex and some OTC pain med, plus some klonopin, to calm me. i've tried all types of nasal sprays, saline solutions, decongestants, etc...nothing works on that irritating post nasal drip, and/or the other types of pains i get. i go through hell until it basically runs its course. with the post nasal drip, i feel like i constantly have to swallow.

as regards my migraines, i had my hormone levels checked, and that test came out ok. i haven't done any allergy testing. although i've stayed away from lots of foods because of the migraines.... maybe it's something else that causes these chronic symptoms, besides foods, some other sort of allergies. i don't know. i really, really need to check this out. it's been like this since i was in my first year of college (about 17 years old). now i'm 36, and it seems it's gotten worse with time, especially around my period. heck, i'm even on an antidepressant, because besides other issues, when these pains strike, they completely take away any type of control i feel i have over life in general and i can't do absolutely anything to help myself, but sit there, cry, and take it.

so, needless to say, i empathize with you!!! i wish you all the best, as i wish everyone with this damned debilitating illness.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
(female)

cat3 HB User

The hormone thing is exactly right. Or at least it was for me. I had a headache for 15 months until I finally was told about a naturapath Dr. She immediately put me on Progesterone and Thyroid and it's been 3 months or getting better. I am back to work which I hadn't been able to do for over a year.

Closed Thread