It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User
"flashing lights" in my eyes..then migraine?

Guys I have to admit, at 27 years of age Ive NEVER had any headache problems...ever. I can count on my 2 hands how many headaches Ive had my whole life!
Yesterday morning Im sitting at my desk at work, my right eye all of a sudden has a huge floater in it and its pulsating like a strobe light. I can see it in both of my eyes, but I can no longer focus my right eye. I freaked out and thought I was having a stroke! I called my DR he said go to the opthamologist, luckily theres one right next door to my work. I go over there, they take me in right away suspecting a retinal detachment or something like that. Of course, nothing wrong with my eyes and 1/2 way through the exam the flashing floater goes away, my vision comes back and a SPLITTING headache appears. I took 2 advil gelcaps and took it easy the rest of the day. Today in the afternoon the same thing happened: Floater in my eye thats strobing like a light and blurry vision out of my right eye, then 10 minutes later a migraine.

Anyways I did some research about this and it appears that I am having Migraine headaches with "auras". Is this common? Is it normal for a 27 year old male to have these? Im not overweight, I dont smoke, I drink maybe 1-2x a month, but I live a super high stress lifestyle (College, 2 jobs, taking care of Mother with dementia). I wonder if the stress caught up to me? How long do migraines last? This happened around 3pm today, I popped 2 advil and now at 7:15 my head still hurts a little.

Really Im posting here because Im nervous about getting them all of a sudden. Can migraines just "pop up" at any time in ones life?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
(male)

nhemi2 HB User
Re: "flashing lights" in my eyes..then migraine?

With your stressful situation, it is not uncommon to develop migraine headaches. These visual disturbances you describe are also common. This can be controlled with medications very effectively. The only caveat I would add is that if you got a headache which could be described as "the worst headache of your life" it may be prudent to request a CT scan to rule out a more serious brain condition. I think that would be very unlikely though.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

Thanks for the fast response. Ive been able to head off the headache pretty much today and yesterday with Advil Gelcaps (2 at a time). However afterwards I feel tired, confused, weak and just plain exhausted.

There are a few factors that I 'think' contributed to this.
1.) My neighbor has a retarded motorcycle thats really loud and he brought it out the other day. Every morning at 5am he starts it before he goes to work and lets it run for 15 mins or so. This wakes me up every morning and I cant sleep afterwards.

2.) I just started going back to college 2 weeks ago. I work full time and have a part time job that Im juggling.

3.) My Mother is in late stage dementia. I have to find a nursing home (the pressure is on) and am not having any luck.

Im just shocked because Ive never had headaches, at least not without good reason (bumping my head, sinus cold, etc) my whole life. I dont even own any aspirin! I just need to hear from people like me who started getting migraines out of no where and I will feel better

How long do the after effects of a migraine last for (tired, weak, just worn out)?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
(male)

nhemi2 HB User

Migraine symptoms rarely last greater than 72 hours.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

Today I am keeping the office lights off above my desk. We have windows that let in a lot of sunlight. My right eyelid keeps twitching though and occasionally I get random "pains" in my head. Should I just take an advil now "just in case" a migraine is going to happen?

Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
(male)

nhemi2 HB User

It is fine to take an advil if you feel a migraine is coming on. You may want to ask your doctor about a migraine preventative medicine such as imitrex as long term use of advil and other NSAIDs can cause gastric issues such as ulcers. In the future you can save the advil for when you are symptomatic.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

Ok so now my ears are ringing, specifically my right ear (my right eye was the one with the flashing lights earlier in the week). I havent had a migraine since the day I posted this. Ive been researching on the internet (big mistake) because its just gotten me more anxious and nervous that I have a brain aneurysm, HIV, cancer, im dying, doom and gloom.. and so on...lol It seems that every web site you go to wants to scare the crap out of you! Im also very fatigued, but then again I worked yesterday 8-5, college 6-10 and then had to wake back up and go to college again today 8-5. I didnt sleep well at all, kept on waking up for the most minor things. This may be a factor too.

Anyways Im concerned about the ringing in my ear now. I can hear fine, I mean it doesnt sound blocked or anything. Is it possible I caught a virus? My room mate said he felt this way last week.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I was actually just about to post about these migraines, they are called occular migraines. I havent had one in years until yesterday. It starts out as a small bluish fleck/sparkle of light and gets worse until it looks like a kaladiscope or tunnel vision. It usually lasts about 15 minutes and the moment it goes away the headache comes on. I have noticed in the past that I get these when I over do it physically with excercise. I work out every day but can push it too much sometimes. Well, yesterday I had a personal training session and I started to see the speck of light but tried to ignore it....10 minutes later I was sitting down with eyes shut because I could not see a darn thing except--literally it is like looking into a kalidascope. Anyway then the headache came on and literrally it was the worst one I have had yet. I was nausious and could not move for 3 hrs.

Hopefully I do not have another one soon!

Closed Thread