It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

pjkitty HB User
Shooting pain from behind eye to base of skull on right side

I get these headaches sometimes where I have a throbbing pain behind my right eye, where the pain goes from the eye, up around my skull stopping at the base of my skull. It starts very intense, where I literally cringe with every pulse, and I'm sure I look like I have a nervous tick. After a few mins it usually subsides to a tolerable level, but I am aware of it for anywhere from 20 mins to a few hours.

I usually have them already when I wake up, especially if I'm woken abruptly. They also sometimes happen if I am inactive and then stand up or do something exerting. It has been going on from time to time for a few years without much change until last night. While I was sleeping, a headache started, to the point where I was dreaming about it, and then it woke me up. I wasn't even moving, which is what usually makes the pain at the intense level that it was. After a 10 mins of the pain, I was finally able to get back to sleep. When I woke in the morning it was still there, but it was more like it had been before; only worsening when I moved around a lot.

I have been researching online and I am having trouble figuring out if this is normal. The main types of headache that kindof matched were migraine and cluster. However, I don't think that it's any of those, unless it's not a typical case. I don't think it's a migraine because I don't have any sensitivity to light, sound, and I'm never nauseous. Also, I have no vision problems before or during. I don't think it's a cluster headache because from what I understand, while that affects the eye, it's more about the front of the skull, from mouth to eye/temple. Also, I don't experience a droopy eyelid, red eye, or stuffy/runny nose.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?? I am a 23 year old female and I don't have any existing sinus problems, or major health problems.

Last edited by pjkitty; 04-08-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
(male)

HipsterDoofus HB User
Re: Shooting pain from behind eye to base of skull on right side

Wow, that sounds just like it could be a trigger point headache. Trigger points are in muscles and they cause pain somewhere else. So the point could be somewhere in your neck or shoulders and causes pain in your head.

There's certain kinds of doctors, physical therapists and massage therapists that do trigger point therapy. Or you can learn self help from a book by someone like Bonnie Prudden's MyoTherapy or Clair Davies' The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.

Closed Thread