It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

57tommygirl HB User
Wink Headache on top of head

Looking for help. I have been reading several threads regarding headaches on top of the head, however, none seem to completely match up with my symptoms.

I am a newbie to the headache. I am turning 37, never had headaches until a year or so ago. Have no other ailments or vices. Never had allergies or sinus issues with the exception of 6 or so years ago, I had minor trouble but none since then. Since I am so new to the headache, perhaps I may have the same symptoms described in other threads, just may not be adept enough to recognize them. I don't have a stressful job, that I recognize, anyway-I have had MUCH more stressful situations/jobs in my life and didn't experience this kind of pain. I am a single parent, tho the other parent is involved. Bottom line, I don't have any issues that seem to stand out and warrant stress-causing headaches, unless, my stress tolerance had decreased and/or I'm just getting older. I do have bite issues, I don't clench my teeth, but my bite is off and I have a constant tingling in my left ear that I have yet to have resolved. But, this started a considerable time before my headaches started...

The pain is solely on top of my head. Usually starts in the afternoon. Rarely leaves the top of my head, but is not centrally located-as if a hammer hit me. It covers the entire top of my head and is excruciating for long periods of time. I don't feel a burning sensation or like someone is pouring acid in it like others have described, though, again, being inexperienced, I'm perhaps just not recognizing it. It feels like someone dropped a flat of bricks on my head. It feels better to squeeze or apply pressure to it. Aspirin doesn't even touch it and it does wake me during the night. It does seem to be getting worse. I wake in the morning with it, though, no pain in or behind my eyes or anywhere else. My eyes do feel swollen and like they are under pressure. I feel nauseous and light-headed, kind of tingly all over, some of you may understand this next part and some may not... My body feels like it does after you suck in helium from a balloon. The pain in the morning is not as excruciating as it gets later in the day. It is dull, tho, I know it's there and can feel it as it gets stronger throughout the day. Lastly, it is sometimes accompanies with sever mid-back pain, between my shoulder blades. It's an ache for which I need to go to a chiropractor, just have not. May or may not be related...

My fear is that I'm headed down a path most of you are describing and, like you guys, am not a huge fan of pain. Further, I am not a huge fan of medication or taking the time to go to doctors. If any of you have advice, or experience the same things I do, I would welcome any feedback...

Thanks

Last edited by 57tommygirl; 04-24-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Headache on top of head

You have muslces all over the top of your head between the skin and the skull that are connected to your neck shoulders and back. They can tightened up due to strees, allergies, pulled muscle in the back or shoulders, sinus problems and a few more. Since advil or aleeve, mortin of things like those do not help if it's a pulled muslce you can get a deep tissue massge and have the tightness worked out. I always start with a massage before I attempt any meds or chiropractors. I will never go to a chiro again as they all made me feel great for an hour or so after my visit. After that hour BAM worse pain ever worse migraine I hever had. Been to many and had the same outcome with all.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

57tommygirl HB User

Oh my Lord, thank you very much! I have the same concerns about the chiropractor that you actuall experienced so that's enough for me. I am thankful to have learned that it's a muscle thing and that little meds are necessary. Thank you very much for your help. I could say that you have no idea how much you've helped me, but I'm pretty sure you do.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I'm not trying to talk you out of going to a chiro. Every doctor is different. I've just had enough bad run ins with chiro's to last me a lifetime. I like to start with things that will help with the pain that don't require meds or having my bones cracked. If deep tissue massage does not help then it might require a muscle relaxer. For that you need to see you doctor. I've had to go on flexril or soma for a few bad muscle cramps. I took them at bedtime so not to interfer with my daily actions.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

I'm a chronic top of pain head sufferer. My doctor always attributed it to sinus problems. Sinus CT showed I had a sinus that never fully formed and is chronically blocked. I have attributed it more to the way I sleep on a pillow (two pillows balled up that cripple my neck) and posture.

Closed Thread