It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Headaches caused by barometric pressure

I am certain that my headaches (which for years I have considered to be sinus headaches due to the areas of pain) are being caused by barometric pressure. For the past 2 months or so, whenever I have one of these particular headaches, I check the barometric pressure and it is 30 or a bit above. When it goes back to 29 or below I feel better.

Right now it is 30.17 and I am in serious discomfort. Advil, tylenol - none of them touch it. I also take zyrtec and nasacort for seasonal allergies and my allergist thought they would help with the headaches. I thought so for a while...but I am still getting them. I have a tachycardia so I cannot take anything with a stimulant. So I basically have to just live with it.

Wondering if others here have noticed the correlation between their headaches and barometric pressure. Also, what are somethings that can relieve this pain??

Would love to hear what others have to say.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Headaches caused by barometric pressure

Yep I've known about this for years. A study was done in 1981 about headaches caused by barometric pressure. It's true. There is alot of info out there if you look around. Blood vessels in your head expand or contract to compensate when there is barometric pressure. Changes in the size of your blood vessels is part of the flow of changes that happen when you get a migraine headache. This is also why you may get a headache when flying, hiking, or even travelling to a new location.

They suggest an ionizer or humidifier to help. Home remedies are cayenne pepper Put 1/2 to one teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a glass of water and drink slowly. This will dilate your blood vessels and improve circulation.

Ginger inhibits a substance called thromboxane A2 that prevents the release of substances that make blood vessels dilate. Use fresh or powdered ginger when you cook, eat crystallized ginger, or put grated fresh ginger in a drink. Ginger is useful for migraines as well as other headaches.

Honey contains potassium and magnesium which will help relax the arteries and allow more blood to flow to the brain.

Try a product called MigreLief which contains a combination of B-2, feverfew and magnesium

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-19-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

Andyck HB User

I've suffered from migraines for over 30 years and some of them are triggered by changes in barometric pressure or overly high or low barometric pressure. Usually these headaches are not severe and can be alleviated by OTC meds such as Excedrin. I usually take two with lots of water and use a cold compress. Within a few (usually two) hours my headache is gone.

Hope this helps and hope you are pain free

Old 05-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I have always had a headache before and during a humid change. never thought about it, just another thing to blame the weather for, LOL.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hi All:
I have suffered w/headaches/migraines since i was 16 (now 31yrs.old). From seeing so many drs. and taking so many different meds., i have pretty much figured out what works best for what kind of HA i am having.
I've even gotten so desperate i've gone to Diamond HA Clinic in Chicago 2 times (i live in FL.) and stayed in an in-patient clinic in hospital , which u stay in for 1wk. or more and they do all kinds of stuff to try & help & teach u.
Anyways, i definitely have worse HA's when weather changes, i usually take 2 Benadryl Severe Sinus HA caplets. I have tried all kinds of things, but when it's from weather, it is usually a sinus ha. So that really helps me. I've tried everything else for those types of HA but that worked the best.
I also lay down w/cold pack over eyes.
Never use a hot pack (per the clinic) - u need the cold over your eyes/neck to help the inflammation that causes headaches.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
(male)

zach016 HB User

Hi all,

Squeaky - they did a study up here in Canada (in Calgary) about 5-6 years ago and found the same thing as what you posted. I know they affect me in a terrible way.

I haven't read that about honey and will certainly give it a try.

Maggie - I guess if you went to Dr. Diamond's clinic twice you were happy with the outcomes - yes?

I know - or have heard from many people - that he is very anti-pain medication. Can you tell us what he tried that was different from the 'normal' things like accupressure, accupuncture, massage, bio-feedback, neuro-feedback etc.?

Thanks//Zach

Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
(female)

barbara3478 HB User

Yes when it is going to rain, i get a headache every time.....

Closed Thread