It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
(male)

darkstar416 HB User
10 day long headache from someone who doesn't get headaches!

Hi people,

This is my first time using this board. It's great to find it though!

First off, I'm a 33 year old male living in Toronto, Canada. I'm healthy, relatively fit and don't have a history of headaches at all.

About 10 days ago I started noticing a mild headache, more in the front and top parts of my head (although, I swear it sometimes moves a bit). I never generally suffer from headaches, so it got my attention. I took some pain killers, but it didn't really seem to help. Nonetheless, it was pretty mild, so I didn't think too much of it, at least at first.

However, it never really went away. About five days later I started to notice I was also feeling a bit nauseous (something I also never get) and the mild headache was still there. It wasn't very painful, but still enough to be constantly on my mind and enough to be mildly distrcating. The nausea continued for the next few days, but I never did "get sick" because of it.

Two days ago I decided to go to my doctor. He asked me the routine sets of questions and gave me a look-over, including feeling different parts of my head and body. He also took my blood pressure and said everything seemed fine. He didn't think it was a migraine (as they tend to be stronger), but thought it may be some "viral thing" in my sinusses that will runs its course eventually. I asked, "can I really have an infection in my sinusses when my nose isn't running?" He said, it's possible. He also sent me to the lab for some blood work just in case something else was going on.

So my blood work isn't back yet, but my mild headache seems to be getting a bit more pronounced by the day. In fact, today I'd say it's borderline migraine (even though I've never had a migraine before, I'd dare say this is what I'd imagine it to be like). The nausea is gone, but man does my head hurt. Pain killers really don't do anything either. It's just a constant sort of dull pain in the front/top of my head. I've never really felt anything like this before and it has me a bit freaked.

The only medication I'm on is Nexium for my acid reflux. I've been taking it for over 3 years and it works like a charm. My doctor doesn't think it's a case of the Nexium suddenly not agreeing with me. In fact, he thinks it has nothing to do with it.

I will likely return to the doctor early next week (if this doesn't get better), regardless of whether or not he finds something wrong in my bood (and I'm assuming he won't). However, I have a weekend ahead of me to dwell on it and I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

So what I'm wondering is two main things...

1. Are 10-day long headaches common? Should I be worried or is this pretty routine in the "headache world"?

2. Has anyone else experienced anything else similar? If so, any ideas or pointers on what I can do?

By the way, I don't think I'm under increased pressure these days, but admittedly have been down lately about a few things. I don't think this headache is being caused by anxiety/depression, but I suppose I can't rule it 100% out either as I know that mental and physical well-being are often way more connected than we know.

Any and all adnvice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

-JP

The Following User Says Thank You to darkstar416 For This Useful Post:
juliogarcia (10-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: 10 day long headache from someone who doesn't get headaches!

Headaches generally last a couple days. It's not uncommon for people to get headaches for longer then a week. If the pain gets worse and the nausea remains I would get it further evaluated. I thought of a tension headache at first. Is the pain worse in the morning upon waking? Could also be sinuses.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
(male)

darkstar416 HB User
Re: 10 day long headache from someone who doesn't get headaches!

A quick update....

Things got quite a bit better for a week, but then it started creeping back. So much so, that last Friday night I considered going to "emergency" as I was in so much pain. It has gotten slightly better since Friday, but I still have this constant head pain.

I went back to my doctor on Tuesday. My blood work was perfectly healthy and the doc now thinks I have some sort of tension headache. So he prescribed some muscle relaxants. I've been on them for a few days now and they've done nothing, save making me super tired.

The doc doesn't think it's anything more serious (ie. stroke, tumour) as my symptoms aren't really consistent with those. However, I'm still really freaked out. I'd even say it's making me anxious and down feeling like this constantly.

If anyone has experienced anything similar, please let me know.

Also, I'm not beyond admitting this "could" be caused by depression. If so, is this consistent with a depressive headache?

Closed Thread