It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

jociec HB User
Tingling sensation in head

Hey

I've had a headache for the past 3-4 days now. Its not bad but i feel really tired and groggy. I work for a neurologist and his wife told me it could be weather related....i live in florida and its been raining all week.

However today while i was a work i got this thingling sensation on the top left side of my head. The Dr. wife gave me some migrane medicine but it didnt help much.

This happened about a month ago too.....but it was accompanied by a weird numb burning feeling on the right side of my head. When that happened i went to the ER and they told me it was just a headache and after 5 hours sent me home...the next day i still felt it and so i went to the ER in the next town and they dr. there told me i probably strained the muscles on the right side of my head....probably from dance. So he gave me some muscle relaxers and within the next few days i felt fine.

The Dr's wife said i should see a neurologist to get an MRI done. My question is has this ever happened to anyone else before? Its kinda scaring me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to jociec For This Useful Post:
bosslady909 (10-11-2011)
Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

lynxgal HB User
Re: Tingling sensation in head

Hi, is it just tingling or is it like a zap?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

jociec HB User

it feels like something is crawling on my head....and its always the same spot. Its not a zap.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
(male)

TribeGuy09 HB User

I had that for awhile and got an MRI done and it was fine. Might be stress related. i wouldn't worry too much though.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #5
(female)

emmymm HB User

So is the sensation more on your skull/scalp...or deeper?

I have had the same sensation. I get it on the top, back, left area of my head/scalp/skull. It tingles...almost feels like its gone to sleep like a numb foot. My neurologist said it was just another type of aura I experience. I sometimes get the same feeling on the left side of my face.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
(female)

jociec HB User

It feels like its right on the scalp. It happend again today....i usually notice it when im at the computer at work....i dunno if that has anything to do with it or not. I could very well be stress related....im in the middle of planning my wedding. I go see a neurologist tomorrow so i'll post what happens.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
(female)

lynxgal HB User

I get the crawling sensation at the base of my head and into my neck. For me I think it is muscle related. My neck trying to compensate for my dizzy spells. I also get the numbness in my face but I also get an electric shock/zap/shiver through my head and sometimes down my body. My recent MRI was normal (so says the nurse at my Neuro's ofc). I have had migraine with aura since I was 17 (39 now). I have not had a migraine in almost a year but I am still getting the aura.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

lynxgirl,

Quote:
I have had migraine with aura since I was 17 (39 now). I have not had a migraine in almost a year but I am still getting the aura
Can you tell me if you get other types of headaches now that you don't get migraines any more?

I too get the aura independently of a headache. Then I get headaches without the aura. I thought you were supposed to get both at the same time! I really panicked when I got the flashing visuals as I thought I was starting to go blind. (since there was no headache, I had assumed something was happening to my eyesight) I have severe hypertension and damaged vessels in my eyes. The eye doc told me my vision problems were a migraine.

Flowergirl

Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
(female)

lynxgal HB User

Hi flowergirl,

I have been getting the odd throb on the top of my head now and again. Nothing consistant until today! No aura - the headache I seemed to have developed today started at the top of my head and has travelled right down the front and back of my head. My face actually hurts. This is new...I have never had a headache like this. Here is the interesting thing, the numbness in my face that I have been experiencing on and off since March 2007 went away for about a week. Since this headache started today the numbness is on and off on the top of my head and on my face. I am also experiencing numbness in my right arm and it feels kind of heavy but not really. Hard to explain. I have had no visual aura today.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

lynxgirl,

how good is your doctor in treating headaches? Mine pays no attention to
them. I don't bother mentioning anything to him because it's like...hm...so.....on to the next thing....How would he like to have a constant headache for 5 weeks with no relief?

In your case, with the numbness in your face and arm, I think you should go see him/her. Just to be sure it's a "normal" (???) headache. I had constant numbness and tingling in my arm for almost 5 months before my doctor finally gave in to my complaining about it and sent me to a neuro. Seriously, do we have to be falling down sick to get the medical attention we deserve?

Flowergirl

Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
(female)

lynxgal HB User

I have been to see a neuro - she says my symptoms are not neurological? I self medicate w/tylenol for the headaches. The tylenol is not touching this one! I really agree with you it's hard to get the Doctor's to do anything. I find if they can't figure it out right away they stop trying. Where are u in Canada? In Ontario? The health care here is horrible!!!! I can remember when they would admit you to the hospital right away and give you a battery of tests till they figured it out. Now your GP has to refer you to this dr and that dr and it can take months to get the appointments!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

lynxgirl,

Quote:
The health care here is horrible!!!! I can remember when they would admit you to the hospital right away and give you a battery of tests till they figured it out. Now your GP has to refer you to this dr and that dr and it can take months to get the appointments!
I could not agree with you more. There's a long wait involved no matter what type of medical care one needs, especially if it's nothing urgent. My husband had to wait for a MRI for 13 months (this was a few years ago). When they finally called him in, he asked them to give his spot to someone else. We live on the West Coast and deal with the same health care issues you guys do.

My headache has switched gears and moved to another location. It's closer to the top of my head now. I thought it was finally retreating after almost 5 weeks. I did manage to have a couple of decent days with just a trace of pain and now it's back, yet different somehow. I came up earlier to do a BP reading as my head was really hurting. My BP was 187/99. This while on BP medications. I wonder if I have a BP headache now. I would take the tylenol but as the neuro advised, am trying to ride it out without the meds. (He thought I was taking enough of them already).

Flowergirl

Old 06-14-2007, 04:01 AM   #13
(female)

emmymm HB User

I don't remember who mentioned they get aura without the headache and vis-versa sometimes. So do I . Or did...Now on Topamax I am done with all of it!
Anyway, Yes it is possible to get auras without headache. Sometimes I would get the visual ones, or my left side of face would be numbish and tingly, or I's get the tingly scalp business. These were all "aura" type things...sometimes a headache would follow, and somtimes I got lucky and the headache didn't come. Neuro did the whole gammet of tests/scans and everything was normal. It was all migraine aura related.
I hope you all find some relief soon!

Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
(male)

DamianNsd HB User

I am having that same problem. I too am scared what is it? I am under stress in school, my doctor also said it was a migraine headache!
Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by jociec View Post
Hey

I've had a headache for the past 3-4 days now. Its not bad but i feel really tired and groggy. I work for a neurologist and his wife told me it could be weather related....i live in florida and its been raining all week.

However today while i was a work i got this thingling sensation on the top left side of my head. The Dr. wife gave me some migrane medicine but it didnt help much.

This happened about a month ago too.....but it was accompanied by a weird numb burning feeling on the right side of my head. When that happened i went to the ER and they told me it was just a headache and after 5 hours sent me home...the next day i still felt it and so i went to the ER in the next town and they dr. there told me i probably strained the muscles on the right side of my head....probably from dance. So he gave me some muscle relaxers and within the next few days i felt fine.

The Dr's wife said i should see a neurologist to get an MRI done. My question is has this ever happened to anyone else before? Its kinda scaring me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Closed Thread