It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Topomax Anyone?

Hi, I have been having terrible migraines. I get regular painful ones and also sometimes vision loss and muscle weakness, numbness without pain. My neuro just prescribed topomax 25mg. to start. After reading the side effects I am afraid to take it. Does anyone have any experience with this med? Thanks.
Kara

Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #2
(female)

emmymm HB User
Re: Topomax Anyone?

I just posted my experience a few days ago...scroll down a few threads and you'll find it. I love topamax and have had no problems. Slow increase of the meds, I believe ,is what helped me avoid side effects. I has been a life saver for me! Use the search feature on this board and you might find other's experiences...good and bad. It hasn't been for everyone, but it sure has been the silver bullet for me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

Dawgswife HB User

Hi - I tried Topamax several years back to try and prevent migraines. I did not have a good experience at all. The worst was my food tasted weird, especially my Diet Coke, I walked around in a "fog" and just was not myself and lastly, my vision got so bad that I started to think I was gonna go blind. It was kinda like I was looking through a kalidascope (sp?). So I had to get off of it. But as others have said, medicines affect people in different ways. It is always worth a try because if it works for you, then you might have some relief from all the pain.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
(female)

bekkee HB User
Lightbulb Re: Topomax Anyone?

Topomax has SAVED my SANITY!

I have suffered from migraines since around puberty. I am 26 now. I was diagnosed w/ Fibromyalgia 3 yrs ago, and after getting sick, my migraines became unbearable! I would literally have a DEBILITAING migraine 5 out of 7 days a week. I would have the type of migraines that made me projectile vomit. I would go thru a bottle of excedrin migraine in about 12 days, which could not have been healthy! I had tried every migraine med out there, most either did nothing for me, or had an adverse reaction to my system. The only drug I found that worked was Fiorinal (old school med), but that is the type of med that can only be taken in small quantities, or it can actually cause you to have more migraines... I basically lived on my heating pad in a dark room.. I was a cave person! I had lived like that for almost three years until this last December when my neuro thought of trying me on Topomax for both my migraines and my Fibro. (I already take an anti-epileptic/off label drug for my fibro, and he was hoping that Topomax would solve both problems.)

I started on 25mg for two weeks and he told me to increase by 25mg every 2 weeks up to as much as 200mg ( I have been w/ this neuro for a long time, he knows that I know my body and my migraines, and that I would not abuse...) So basically he let me decide where/what level of the drug worked. I did the increase as he suggested, and I noticed a small difference by 50mg, but by 175mg I was AMAZED! I went as far as 200mg but saw no dif than 175. So now I take 175mg of Topomax every day and I have maybe 1 migraine a month, sometimes longer!! It is AMAZING! I can function! (except for the fibro).

As far as side effects. The ONLY side effect I have had from the Topomax is weight loss. I have lost roughly 15 pounds over 5 months, but I stopped losing weight and have leveled off. I have not had any vision problems or complications with other meds (and I take 13 pills a night for my fibro!...). I know that there are risks of cataracts in the long term for a slight few. But honestly, my neuro could have told me that I was going to grow a beard and a tail as soon as I took the first pill. If it was going to get rid of the migraines I was having, I still would have done it... and just joined the circus... that is how desperate I was.

Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hannasnana HB User

My daughter was put on topamax at 17 for migraines she was having almost 7 days a week. The side effects were awful for her. Most people I talk to that are on topamax have the weight loss because food begins to taste different. After long term use my daughters memory was almost destroyed. She could hardly carry on a conversation because she couldnt think straight. She was always tired and spent most of her time in bed sleeping. Soon she started having the tingling in her hands and feet. She felt much better after going off topamax. She was starting to have breakthru headaches anyway.

I've met other people who didn't have any side effects from using topamax. You have to make that choice and see how your body reacts. One warning I will give about topamax is it does leach calcium from your bones and teeth. Besure to take extra calcium when on it.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PinkPiglet HB User

Topomax didn't work at first for me. I used another med - can't think of the name right now. However, it made me gain weight badly but it controlled the migraines to a point.

We switched slowly from the one med to Topomax and it's been very successful. Once the migraines were under control the topomax has been able to keep it controlled. I got very tired to begin with but it went away after a couple days. Every time I upped the med I got tired for 2-3 days but then it would again go away.

It hasn't ruined my taste and unfortunately I haven't lost a lot of weight (I'd like to *grin*)

Every drug works differently with every body. Start with a small dose and see what happens. You build it up slowly so you can always stop if you get side effects.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
(female)

Hockeygirl17 HB User
Wink Re: Topomax Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdel View Post
Hi, I have been having terrible migraines. I get regular painful ones and also sometimes vision loss and muscle weakness, numbness without pain. My neuro just prescribed topomax 25mg. to start. After reading the side effects I am afraid to take it. Does anyone have any experience with this med? Thanks.
Kara
I wouldn't be afraid to take it. First off what I was told by my neurologist is that the major side effects do not effect those taking it for headaches because they build up to the correct dosage over a period of time, whereas for seizures (which is what the drug was initially taken for) might start you right off taking 200 mg.

I have been on Topomax for a little over a year and it has been a lifesaver for me, I had headaches everyday, and now I get them a few times a year.

I started taking 25 mg, than after a week went up to 50, and so on now I have built up to the standard of 200 mg a day and it's the best thing ever. The only side effects I initially experienced at the very beginning was tingling in my feet and hands but that goes away once your body gets used to it and also if I drank soda it tasted weird for again probably the first month of takign the drug but other than that I've had no side effects. Kidney stones are common if you are prone to them already so they just urge you to drink a ton of water, since I am in the habit of drinking 96 oz of water everyday as it is at minimum I knew the kidney stone thing wouldn't be a problem for me.

This has truly been a wonderdrug for me.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #8
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User

Have you tried the Topamax? I'm on the band wagon for it. I've noticed moodiness and my soda pop used to taste funny and I did have the tinglies. Now, just the moodiness/irritability. I'll take that over migraines any day. I read and laughed at a post earlier about growing a beard and tail. I'll take those, too, over migraines!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
(female)

Ann-Marie12 HB User
Smile Re: Topomax Anyone?

Hi I'd like to say that I was put on Topamax by my Neurologist about a year ago, as I have suffered from headaches since I was 13 (I am now nearly 31!). I was diagnosed as having recurring migraines as I used to wake up with a headache, have it all day and go to bed with it. I was prescribed Topamax by the Neuro and told to start with 25mg at night and in the morning, gradually increasing to 50mg at night, then 50mg in the morning to. I was told there may be side effects but they should go away after a few days. Once I started taking this drug I found that at first I only suffered with diarrhoea for a day or two, and had tingling in my hands, feet and face now and again this has since gone away. It also made me tired when I increased the dosage at night but now I'm used to it I'm fine. I increase the dosage now and again even now but I no longer suffer with headaches as Topamax has certainly worked for me and has made such a fantastic difference to my life as I can now enjoy life and not worry whether I'm going to have a damn headache all the time!! It's a miracle I never thought I'd ever get rid of them!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User

I think it's either your miracle drug or your worst nightmare!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
(female)

Ann-Marie12 HB User
Cool Re: Topomax Anyone?

Well I guess it's a drug that doesn't work for everyone and after reading all your experiences with Topamax, I must be one of the lucky ones which sounds like I'm in a minority!!! Although I am sooooooo glad that they do work for me coz I don't think I could've stuck another headache for much longer!!!

Closed Thread