It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
(female)

libbylou HB User
Question Imitrex

How much Imitrex can one take in a week? Hubby has awful ha this week. He seems to go thru blocks. Has headache everyday. At least two weeks out of the month they get really bad and he spends a lot of time in bed. Has had these for 25+ years. We are now in the process of doing Botox. First time he got 100 units. Next time it was 160 units. Seems to be helping some but this week isn't good. I am always afraid of to much Imitrex. He took two yesterday morning and just now took one. The pressure usually seems to affect him. When it drops he can usually tell us before it happens. He is a good weather man. Sorry to have rattled but we have been dealing with this for so long. Have been thru all the tests and Dr.s

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
(female)

libbylou HB User
Re: Imitrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbylou View Post
How much Imitrex can one take in a week? Hubby has awful ha this week. He seems to go thru blocks. Has headache everyday. At least two weeks out of the month they get really bad and he spends a lot of time in bed. Has had these for 25+ years. We are now in the process of doing Botox. First time he got 100 units. Next time it was 160 units. Seems to be helping some but this week isn't good. I am always afraid of to much Imitrex. He took two yesterday morning and just now took one. The pressure usually seems to affect him. When it drops he can usually tell us before it happens. He is a good weather man. Sorry to have rattled but we have been dealing with this for so long. Have been thru all the tests and Dr.s
I guess my question is does anyone have side affects from the imitrex. He is irritatable, fidigety, can't sleep, don't know if its from the ha that has lasted a week or med or both. I feel sorry for him. I just stay busy so I don't add to his problem when he is like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

Smokey77 HB User

I feel for you! Your husband must be out of his mind with frustration with him being in such pain for such long periods! I can't even imagine! What could be the cause of such prolonged periods of pain?

I can only tell you what happened to me when I took Imitrex almost daily for a few days.

I took Imitrex one day, skipped a day, took another pill the next day, and then (fed up!) took two pills the next day (one in AM one in PM). A couple of hours after I took the 2nd pill - my bladder was feeling really strange and hurt. I was a little grouchy from the Imitrex, but nothing like Zomig made me. (really grouchy!!)

Good luck to you both.
Smokey

Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
(female)

LadyVeteran HB User

I had to up my imitrex from 25mg to 100mg just to get some relief. I use to pass out when I was on zomig. Besides imitrex I go to a sports therapist for my headaches. not 100% effective but I'm able to go back to work.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

Jill1221 HB User

My doctor got on me about taking too much Imitrex, and when I went in for a refill they made me do an EKG to check my heart, since it can cause heart problems in otherwise healthy people (rarely). They told me that it has not been proven to be safe if taken more than once or twice a week. Probably best to give the doctors office a call.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
(female)

bella1829 HB User

I am on Imitrex for migraines as well. I take a prescription of 50mg and I believe the rule is "take 1 tablet as directed; may repeat once in 2 hours if needed. Maximum of 4 tabs in 24 hours; maximum of 3 times a month". That's what my prescription says. One thing to be aware of, you said your husband gets headaches and takes the Imitrex... do you mean migraines or just headaches? Because my doctor told me to only take my Imitrex when I can clearly decide that it's a migraine.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
(female)

libbylou HB User

They are definitely migraines. We are now trying Botox injections. He seems to have had a fairly good almost two months but he has had a bad ha for a week now. Can't go for more botox for another month. In Sept will be the third treatment. It is very expensive and insurance doesn't cover. Have any of you tried Botox?

Old 08-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lisaontheloose HB User

I have had weeks when I have taken it daily with no side effects. Both my family doctor and my neurologist know this and although they don't love it, they haven't told me to stop doing it when necessary.

Botox actually made my headaches worse the second time around. It seemed like the imitrex wouldn't work after I had taken the botox. Perhaps this is what is happening with your husband.

Currently, I am on 500 mg daily of depakote and that has seemed to cut my migraines in about half. I may now only have them about 10 to 15 days out of the month.

Lisa

Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I was on Imitrex for awhile and it didn't work nearly as well as the following combination. Though I do have to take it all as soon as I get the aura warning or it doesn't work. I start throwing it up and it does no good if I don't catch it in time.

Try:

Three Motrin or Aleve taken with a Coke or something else with caffeine
One Benadryl or a dose of Dimetapp
Lie down for about half an hour

I still get the headache, but its not as painful and I do not have the other horrible symptoms that go along with it.

Nancy

Closed Thread