It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
(male)

aefef HB User
Question Vasodilators to abort migraines?

Hi all! My question is...whats best for aborting a migraine:

A vasodilator or a vasoconstrictor??

As i undertand it, when we have a migraine our head vessels become painful, inflamed, and dilated. And ive heard that under a migraine blood flow and oxygen are reduced. What i dont undertand is:

How can blood flow be reduced if our head arteries have become dilated?? (dilatation improves blood flow in theory).

Supposing that's true (blood flow becomes reduced even with dilated arteries), then the remedy would be a vasodilator (it would dilate arteries even more, but it would also improve the blood flow.

So, why are vasodilator only prescribed to take before a migraine attack? (Why not when you are having a migraine attack in order to recover faster?)

(As i undertand it, a vasoconstrictor would only reduce even more the blood flow)

Lately, im trying Garlic supplements to improve my blood flow (it makes blood thinner). They say Garlic is a vasodilator, so its good to take before having a migraine attack. But, as i said, i dont undertand why can't it work to take it during a migraine?

Yesterday i tried and i took a high dose of garlic during a migraine attack, and i didnt notice anything (not good, not bad), just my veins inside my eyes became red and visible (i suppose because of the higher dilatation).

Thanks for reading! Feel free to reply!

Last edited by aefef; 08-17-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User
Re: Vasodilators to abort migraines?

Wellll---a migraine is about the arteries/veins constricting then suddenly dilating--so that's why you get the aura prior to one, or the sensitivity to light, sounds, smells, or just that "off" sensation, not enough blood flow to the brain...so a vasoconstrictor would not be of much help, right? Just make it worse, I would think. The vasodilator lets the vessels dilate slowly and minimizes the "pounding headache" effect.
My hubby and I have found that, for him MSG (monosodiium glutamate) is a never fail trigger for a migraine--watch for it in foods...esp. processed & prepackaged foods. They say 20% of the population is sensitive to this stuff.
MAybe it has a vasoconstrictor effect? So much we do not know about h/as...just anoying as heck.
Liz

Closed Thread