It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

kyetzbac HB User
Unknown freaky headache

I'm a 40 year old Mom of two and I have never had a migraine in my life, just the occasional headache. In April of 2007 I had an accident where my head and neck went flying around. And May of 2007 I had a top back molar break in half right down to the nerve. A dentist put a filling on it. For the next 3 weeks that tooth throbbed and ached and the dentist kept taking x-rays telling me nothing was wrong with it. She sent me to an Endodontist and he said I'm just swollen from the dental work and put me on steroids for 3 weeks and gave me pain killers!!
June of 2007 I felt an ice picking in the center of the back of my head that went on and off for one day. Totally took me by surprise, I didn't know what it could be.
So, from June to August I would get the ice picking headache only about once a week, and tingling in my finger tips and feet, dizziness, blurred vision, the feeling of an egg being cracked on the top of my head and dripping down and tingling, the bridge on my nose is very full of pressure hard to wear my sunglasses, my legs and feet swell up on and off, and there were several times I felt like this balloon was rushing up from from feet to my head and the feeling of an elephant sitting on my chest, my scalp was tender to the touch, I could hardly wash my hair because every strand felt like pins and needles digging into my head, I also have this terrible metal taste in my mouth for the past few weeks, and during this time my tooth was still killing me!!!!!!
August 16, 2007, the ice pick headache came with a vengeance and I was driving home and had to pull over and got out of the car and my legs couldn't move. I dropped to the ground and couldn't figure out where I was and how I got there. I got my cell phone and called the last call on my phone, which was my husband, and crying and freaking out I told him what was going on and he took me to the ER. They took a CT scan without dye and told me I had a tension headache and gave me pain killers and muscle relaxers and sent me home.
August 18, 2007, same thing happened again while I was in the car. Tingling and the feeling of electric shocks going thru my head and ice picking at the back of my head, and my scalp even hurt to touch it, numb legs and fingers, confusion, disoriented, I could think of words in my head, but I couldn't say them out of my mouth! My Dad was calling me on my cell phone and I was crying and trying to figure out where I was and what was happening. He told me to pull over and he came and got me and took me to ER. They took another CT scan with dye. This doctor diagnosed me with Occipital Nerve Neuralgia. Gave me painkillers and muscle relaxers and sent me home.
August 21, 2007 had MRI ordered by top Neurologist in our Metropolitan area. All results came back normal. The neurologist told me it was stress and told me to schedule a massage or something to de-stress. Gave me some muscle relaxers and pain killers and sent me home.
It is now September 13, 2007 and it has been 28 straight days of having this terrible electric shocks, tingling, throbbing feeling in my head. And sometimes I get this terrible pain behind my ear and up the left side of the back of my head, and an awful dull ache behind left eye. I have been to numerous doctors and dentists and they all say, it's stress. And they send me away with more pain killers and muslce relaxers. I could open up my own pharmacy right now!! The pain was so bad, that I was taking 15 Ibuprofen a day. And finally one doctor begged me to stop. I did. But it hurts! So, I take the muscle relaxers now.
Sept 4th, I finally got a root canal done on that bad tooth and the headaches are still fierce!!!! When the Endodontist was pulling out my nerve, he told me it was extremely inflamed and very angry!!!!!! So, it was inflamed for about 3 months!!!!!!!! The tooth still hurts and I still have the headache, so I scheduled to get the tooth pulled next Friday!!! And I will wait for two weeks to see if I feel better. If I don't notice any changes, then my parents are taking me to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. They have neurologists, dentists and doctors that all work together to diagnose the patient.

Last edited by kyetzbac; 09-14-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Unknown freaky headache

YIKES! Good luck and congratulations for your continued efforts to keep searching for some peace in you medical life. You must be very miserable and wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is wise that your parents are willing to go with you to the next level...the Mayo. Good luck! Here you were just going through life minding your own business and wham!...now you are struggling to get back to something close to normal. My hat is off to you you have been through a lot...good luck!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
(female)

jolener HB User
Re: Unknown freaky headache

Hi I have similar symptoms to yours. Let me know if you went to Mayo Clinic.

Closed Thread