It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Tension headaches at night

Some of you may remember from many topics past my posts concerning my chronic headaches (going to be celebrating the one-year anniversary of the start of the pain in about two weeks ).

I have done research about headaches and the different types, and altohugh I have not had an official diagnosis, I have reached the conclusion that I have chronic tension-type headaches. They do not necessarily fit the description of tension headaches exactly. For example, although tension headaches are 'not usually' unilateral, I feel some tightness and pain in the right side of my face and none in the left side. Also, a good night's sleep does nothing for me - in fact, my headaches begin to worsen around nine at night while being fairly dull during daylight hours. I also have no other symptoms but the headaches - no nausea, no sensitivity to light/sound, no changes in appetite.

Other details about my headaches...they are exacerbated by excess caffeine and sugar, lack of sleep and massaging/rubbing the painful areas.

Those who suffer the pain of chronic tension headaches - how do you deal with your pain? Is it true that over-the-counter painkillers can help? I have pretty much stayed away from aspirin and acetometaphen because my headaches weren't bad enough to warrant pill-popping.

I do plan on calling my doctor tomorrow to talk to her about it, just to see what she has to say. She's the one who kept me sane by teaching me a simple mantra in terms of headaches. She said that, as long as I do not experience any of the following symptoms, then whatever is ailing me is most likely nothing to lose sleep over:
- nausea/vomiting
- vision/memory/coordination problems
- overall worsening pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
(female)

dragon25 HB User
Re: Tension headaches at night

I also have chronic tension headaches. I have found NOTHING that works. I have also been seeking advice about this.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hi
I am a Chronic Tension Headache suffer as well. You can do a search on this board under boxerlover227 and find a post I wrote called Chronic Tension Headaches. I suffer usually everyday with some degree of tension headache. for myself it is a pressure feeling all around my head, eyes, and base of skull, I also have lightheaded/dizzy/floaty head sensations as well. I have been on Advil now forever, which seemed to help at first. Then I switched to Motrin which also seemed to help, But they NEVER completely went away. I went to my Dr. who prescribed muscle relaxers which really didn't DO A THING. I have TMJD as well which is a culprit in these daily tension headaches. (NOT sure if ANY of you were checked for this a well) If not you should look into this.
My Dr. Told me that if the muscle relaxers don't seem to help "Break" the cycle he suggested SSRI treatment. Yes antidepressants. It is a know fact that anyone suffering from some sort of chronic headache pattern is low on serotonin. I REALLY was objective to this treatment, because I didn't want to start a SSRI because of the horrible side effects. I researched and researched and found a "natural" SSRI called 5HTP
I began using 5htp after reading all the wonderful success stories, from migraines, to anxiety, to sleep disorders. Since using 5 HTP My headaches have been less and less, and my sleep pattern is so much better. I would highly recommend trying this as an alternative treatment. But keep in MIND if you are already on SSRI treatment YOU CAN NOT USE 5htp. I also recommend magnesium. This In the Past also has helped significantly with my headaches. I hope you both find this useful. And when you both get a chance look for my post called Chronic Tension Headaches and you will find a ton of information about massage and which trigger point are best to relieve Chronic Tension Headaches. Keep me posted and any thoughts or questions let me know. Feel Better ..Boxerlover

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I have been diagnosed with TMJ. The only thing I do for that is wear a mouth guard at night for that. I am already on the SSRI Lexapro for bipolar disorder, so that isn't helping me. I hope i can get some relief soon. These headaches are disabling.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

Hi Dragon25
I feel your pain!
I can bet that your tmjd has a lot to do with your headaches. Have you tried massage therapy? Do you also get the off balance/lightheaded floaty feeling as well? I have been told that the night guards are just over priced and a waste of time. I am not sure if this is true for you as well. You can also look into what is called Myofascial pain syndrome, this also comes with TMJD and other muscle spasms as well. Headaches that are chronic being one of them. I hope you find some relief soon.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
(female)

dragon25 HB User

I do think the mouth guard is a waste of money. My dentist told me it would help the headaches but as you can see it didn't. I do get dizziness which then makes me nauseous. Money is a issue for me, so i have not had a professinal massasge but i do get them from my fiance when i can. I am going to look into that myofascial syndrome. I would like to find out what is wrong with me. I get tired of everyone saying "You are always hurting, there is always something wrong with you. Do you ever feel good?" They make fun of the situation not realizing how bad it can actually be. Thanks for the advice!

Closed Thread