It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

Jasmer HB User
Question What's the deal?

Well, I've been having headaches every day for at least the past four weeks. I thought they were migraines but for diagnosis you have to have photo and/or phono sensitivity and 75% of the time I have neither, though occaisionally noise or lights will bother me, but never both. It's a sharp, stabbing pain behind my left eye. Almost always behind my left eye, or close to my left temple, or it will shift to the back of my head. Tylenol, Aspirin, etc don't work, not even extra strength. I asked my mom if she had anything since she gets cluster headaches and she gave me a bottle of her headache pills. They help immensely...for three hours or so, then I have to take more.

I hate taking pills so I've just been dealing with it. The pain is excruciating at times, to the point that I curl up in a little ball under covers with the curtains shut to block out the light and just cry because it hurts so bad. I get very sick to my stomach but I can't puke even if I try, which is kind of annoying. I work in a loud environment that requires me to be focused and aware, so if this keeps up it could very well cost me my job. They were able to find something more relaxed for me to do today, but I highly doubt they'll be able to more than once a week at the most.

I was thinking cluster headaches as well, but from what I read the pain is utterly debilitating and shouldn't last as long as it does for me. There are no breaks at all whatsoever between headaches. I actually kind of think it's the same headache. It just varies in severity every few hours. Sometimes it's barely there at all, but never actually gone, and goes back up to a noticeable level within an hour or two. Sometimes it's throbbing pain. It gets so bad that the entire side of my face can hurt from it. My wisdom teeth on the left side of my mouth hurt horribly because they need to be pulled, but it seems to me that they hurt most when my head does too. It can't be from gritting my teeth because I don't do that when I'm in pain, nor do I bite on my lip or pull my hair or pinch myself or whatever it is a lot of other people do when they hurt.

People at work are starting to notice and constantly ask me what's wrong, and it's getting kind of irritating to me because saying "oh I have a bad headache" probably just sounds to them like I'm looking for sympathy or something. I dunno.

What is this and how can I get rid of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
(female)

paigenfl HB User
Re: What's the deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmer View Post
Well, I've been having headaches every day for at least the past four weeks. I thought they were migraines but for diagnosis you have to have photo and/or phono sensitivity and 75% of the time I have neither, though occaisionally noise or lights will bother me, but never both. It's a sharp, stabbing pain behind my left eye. Almost always behind my left eye, or close to my left temple, or it will shift to the back of my head. Tylenol, Aspirin, etc don't work, not even extra strength. I asked my mom if she had anything since she gets cluster headaches and she gave me a bottle of her headache pills. They help immensely...for three hours or so, then I have to take more.

I hate taking pills so I've just been dealing with it. The pain is excruciating at times, to the point that I curl up in a little ball under covers with the curtains shut to block out the light and just cry because it hurts so bad. I get very sick to my stomach but I can't puke even if I try, which is kind of annoying. I work in a loud environment that requires me to be focused and aware, so if this keeps up it could very well cost me my job. They were able to find something more relaxed for me to do today, but I highly doubt they'll be able to more than once a week at the most.

I was thinking cluster headaches as well, but from what I read the pain is utterly debilitating and shouldn't last as long as it does for me. There are no breaks at all whatsoever between headaches. I actually kind of think it's the same headache. It just varies in severity every few hours. Sometimes it's barely there at all, but never actually gone, and goes back up to a noticeable level within an hour or two. Sometimes it's throbbing pain. It gets so bad that the entire side of my face can hurt from it. My wisdom teeth on the left side of my mouth hurt horribly because they need to be pulled, but it seems to me that they hurt most when my head does too. It can't be from gritting my teeth because I don't do that when I'm in pain, nor do I bite on my lip or pull my hair or pinch myself or whatever it is a lot of other people do when they hurt.

People at work are starting to notice and constantly ask me what's wrong, and it's getting kind of irritating to me because saying "oh I have a bad headache" probably just sounds to them like I'm looking for sympathy or something. I dunno.

What is this and how can I get rid of it?
You certainly have the symptoms of a migraine. I suffer from Cluster Headaches which are insanely bad. But your symptoms seem to be more on the Migraine side. And everyone is different. Your lack of sensitivity doesn't mean that is not what it is. If you curl up and are able to lay down with it comfortably it isn't a cluster. CLusters make you want to pace and bang your head on the ground. THey are similiar to Migraines but some differences. Have you had an MRI? If not find a really good Neurologist. For me it took about 4 different ones before I found the right one. Mine suffered from the same headaches so he understood. I hope the best for you quickly. It is a horrible way to live but the good news is they say we will grow out of them. I am now over a year headache free and that is the longest I have gone in 15 years. So I am crossing my fingers and praying everyday that I am on my growing out of them stage. Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
(female)

tamarak86 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your headaches. I have suffered from migraines since I was four years old. I am 35 now. During the last 10 years or so they have came out with medications that works wonders (zomig, imitrex, maxalt ect..) My migraines have changed over the years. When I was younger, the whole left side of my head would hurt, especially in the base of my skull and behind my left eye. For the last 6 or 7 years the pain starts out in the left side of my nose and then radiates to the rest of the left side of my head. Usually I can take a zomig and within an hour the headache is almost gone. I have had people tell me that I don't get migraines because I don't get the aura or because I get the pain in my nose. My doctor disagrees. My dad has also suffered his whole life. His doctor refuses to give him migraine pills because he doesn't vomit with his headaches. Big deal neither do I. Well at least not all the time. When I get a super duper migraine, I ram my head in the side of the couch, it hurts so bad I can't find a comfort zone. I can't lay down, sit down, stand up, I can't function. Usually with those, I throw up. The weird thing is, the real bad ones are usually on the right side of my head. 95% are on the left. I have discovered that different things trigger my migraines. Perfume, smoke, sunlight, not eating or sleeping right and about 2 days before I start my period (hormone fluctuations). I have also discovered that I can take about 12 vicoden in a 3 days period and it not touch the headache. So I don't take pain killers anymore.

Okay enough about poor me. The only thing that bothers me about you is the duration of your headaches. Before I started taking zomig, the longest that a migraine would last would be 3 days. If I were you I would find a doctor that won't blow you off. If you aren't someone that gets headaches on a regular bases, then something else could be seriously wrong. A friend of mine and my husbands was having a headache that also lasted him about 3 weeks. He doesn't normally get them. Then one day he had trouble verbalizing the words that he wanted to say. He went to the doctor and they ran a bunch of test that showed he had a blocked artery in his neck. This is and artery that feeds the blood to the brain. They have him on a bunch of meds. We are praying for him. I guess I'm just trying to say that you should probably go to the doctor. If one doesn't think that there is anything wrong, go to another one. It is hard for people that don't suffer from migraines to understand the pain that you are going through. I hope that you find out soon. So that you can start easing the pain. Good luck!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarak86 View Post
When I get a super duper migraine, I ram my head in the side of the couch, it hurts so bad I can't find a comfort zone. I can't lay down, sit down, stand up, I can't function. Usually with those, I throw up.
Okay enough about poor me. The only thing that bothers me about you is the duration of your headaches. Before I started taking zomig, the longest that a migraine would last would be 3 days. If I were you I would find a doctor that won't blow you off. If you aren't someone that gets headaches on a regular bases, then something else could be seriously wrong.

I guess I'm just trying to say that you should probably go to the doctor. If one doesn't think that there is anything wrong, go to another one. It is hard for people that don't suffer from migraines to understand the pain that you are going through. I hope that you find out soon. So that you can start easing the pain. Good luck!!!!

what you describe up there is sooooo true for me as well, but i really want someone to chop my head off, or pull a trigger and put me out of my misery!!!! and yes, sometimes, i cannot do absolutely anything to "diffuse" a migraine no matter what.... and like you, i cannot stand, sit, lay down, any smidgeon of fragrance--whatever it may be--would have me with my head in the toilet, and so on....

although i take imitrex and topamax i still get times when the headache lasts two days... that's the most debilitating, since i usually have to take off at work...how many times have i cried bec. of these pains? how many times have i prayed? i don't even know anymore. i've had these disabling, horrific 'nightmares' since my college years and i'm now 37 y.o. i'm wondering if they're going to last til i die, or if i'll ever get some relief and some peace. even though i've had them for so long, i still ask why do I have to get them. and...i'm sorry to say, but i reallly envy people who do not have migraines. i know i shouldn't and i may come across as a mean person, but i'm just tired of crying and suffering, and being in pain, and crying, and getting depressed because there's nothing else to do anymore....

but to jasmer-- i completely agree with tamara. please get yourself checked out by a neuro--a competent one and one who shows you respect and care. god bless and good luck!!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

tamarak86 HB User

Dakota Skye, I'm so sorry to hear about your head. It will put you in a major state of depression. You just get sick of being sick. My husband always asks if there is anything that he can do for me. Yah get me a new head!! I tried taking Topamax. It did seem to cut down on the migraines, but unlike others I can't tolerate the side effects. I guess I'm just used to the migraines. The worst side effect of the topamax for me was tingling in my hands and feet. Kinda like they were asleep all the time. I'm not the smartest person in the world, so the not being able to verbalize my words at times just made it worse. I got the dumb blonde looks!

Jasmer, one other thing that I wanted to tell you. My doctor sent me to a nuerologist for an MRI because of pain I was having in my neck. Instead of the MRI, the nuerologist put me on nuerontin. The nuerontin makes you very very very tired, messes with your depth perception and just kinda puts you in a funk. So he put me on wellbutrin to counteract that. NO THANKS!!! So I just stopped going to him. I never went to another, but I do wish that I would have. I have just learned to live with the migraines, because I really don't think that there is any thing that can be done. I KNOW that I get migraines. I take zomig or maxalt and I deal with it. You NEED to go to a doctor to find out if that is what is really wronge with you. Make sure that it's not something life threatening. God Bless.

Forgive any misspellings, my spell check isn't working

Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 AM   #6
(male)

konacluster HB User

Hey Jasmer, I feel for you. I've suffered from cluster headaches for almost 10 years. You have what sounds like a cluster. Over the years, I've experienced changes in my headaches, with regard to duration, severity of pain, and symptoms. The basics are always the same though. Severe eye pain, my teeth absolutely kill me, and my pain is always on only one side of my head. I'm not very sensative to sound, light or fragrances, as with migraine sufferers. I never get sick to my stomach (well rarely).

I'm currently taking morphene as per my pain management doctor. It provides an acceptable level of pain relief, but there are definite drawbacks to taking narcotic meds. I just tried everything else, and was left with morphene, as it helps enough that I don't consider killing myself to get rid of the pain any more.

People who have never suffered a true cluster, have no way of comprehending the incredible pain involved. I truly wish you the best, and hope that you're able to get a handle on this.

Gary

PS, I'm looking into suboxone as a long term pain management treatment rather than morphene. Has anybody got any experience with this form of treatment? I'd love to hear your thoughts or observations!

Closed Thread