It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
(male)

chaseldine HB User
Post Migraines - My Drugs review (glad i've found a community of people that understand)

Hello Everyone,

Just want to say how good i feel after spending the last 2-3 hours reading all the various topics about migraines. It makes me feel so much better that other people understand what i'm going through (not only with the migraines but also the side effects of some of the drugs).

A bit of background first: I used to suffer from classic migraines about two or three times a year, it never really bothered me that much. My GP prescribed Imigran 50mg to take when i got a migraine. This worked about 50% of the time which i was farely happy with.

About 2 years ago it all changed though, i was starting to get headaches/ migraines much more often. Eventually it seemed as though it was near constant. The near constant headaches aren't as bad as a full migraine but enough to stop me concentrating fully. They will often (2-3 times a week) turn into a full blown migraine where i just need to go into a dark quiet place.

So i went to see my GP nearly two years ago and was referred to a Neurologist. He was pretty sure it was all mirgaine linked but still sent me for a MRI scan just to make sure (luckily it all came back clear).

As it seems with a lot of people I started on:

Amitriptyline, slowly increased the dossage and stayed on the drug for about 6 months. (can't remember exactly but think i was on 40/50mg twice a day at the end. It made no real difference to my headaches/migraines, It took away my mental sharpness/ quick wit, emotions and most of the time I didn't care about anything (i'm asshamed to say including my new wife)

Back to the Neurologist, i was then prescribed:

Topamax I was given a slow build up 25mg a day up to 50mg twice a day after a couple of months, I was on this drup for about 5-6 months. It did work to a certain extent by reducing my head aches to only 3-4 times a week with one or two turning into a full migraine. The only problem was that i couldn't live with the side effects. I couldn't concentrate for long periods and the worst was that i was forgetting and tripping over simple words. This is really bad as part of my job is giving lectures/training to large groups of people. I also found that i couldn't stand being in noisy social envirments bars etc they made me feel uncomfortable and i sturggled to follw peoples converstaions against the background noise as my concentration would wander. So i slowly weaned off topamax while booking another appointment with the Neuolgist. I must add after reading other peoples comments about topamax that i didn't suffer another physical effects like tingling in the hands or feet, although i did suffer from always having cold feet !!

Diet Coke - Whislt waiting for my neurologist appointment i did work out that i often got more/worst headaches after drinking diet coke, and i was really glad when reading other peoples topics on here that other people had found the same. I was worried that i had made it up and it was a placebo effect. It hasn't got rid of my headachess/migraines totally but has probably reduced another 25% in regualrity and severity.

So at my appointment with the Neurologist he thinks that the Topomax type of drugs obviouly work (i agree) but i need to find one that doesn't cause side effects in me. (i'm happy to have small side effects) so he has prescribed:

Zonisanide 25mg at first increasing up to 100mg. So i went back to my gp last week before Christmas to get the prescription. The probelm is that my GP won't prescribe this drug as its not on the Derbyshire NHS prescription list. So i now have the option of paying for a private prescription (quite expensive) or getting the neurologist to prescribe another drug.

I'm not sure if anyone is going to read all of the above but its been good for me getting it all out of my head. Hopefully it might be usefull for someone in the way that all the other topics i read this morning have been.

Please feel free to add you comments (especailly anyone that has tried Zonisanide).

Chris

Last edited by chaseldine; 01-08-2008 at 03:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
(female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User
Re: Migraines - My Drugs review (glad i've found a community of people that understan

Hey Chris!

You sound like me.....I've been a headache/migraine sufferer since I was about 13. Unfortunately when I do get a migraine though, I wake up with them, so I'm "in cycle" and none of the meds work, zomig, imitrex etc.

My GP prescribed me Inderal LA which is a beta blocker.....to see what would happen (I had to anxiety episodes for NO reason which is what brought me to the doc...I've given up on the head :-( ). Within less than a week...my "normal constant" headaches were gone.....completely. Downside to this, you become adjusted to the meds and they can't increase mine as it lowered by Blood Pressure as LOW as it can go.....so I stopped taking it, and will resume in a few months again.

I just posted something for another poster.....this I read, tried and it works for most people in controlling the daily grind of headaches, and reduces the frequency of migraine.

Magnesium 3 times a day...250 MG, one in the AM, one in the afternoon, one before bed, daily.
B6 and B12.

Maybe give it a shot...if you haven't already.

If I was younger.....I'd without a doubt become a doctor or scientist to research headaches. It is awful and unfortunately, our daughter started getting migraines at about 13 as well....we put her on birth control pills at 14, and it stopped them, we did this to also work on the acne....both so far, are MUCH better...she'll get an occasional migraine, but not many and she doesn't have the "daily" headaches!

Good luck...if you have any questions, I'll check back....off to take Magnesium now....:-)

Closed Thread