It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2001, 10:45 AM   #1
markanthony

Question Noise Sensitivity/Headache

Hi
New member who needs advice and perhaps a discussion with a similar sufferer. We all know that migraines can be "triggered" by various means. My own triggers are Noise, Odours (Paint, Perfume etc), Air- Conditioning etc.
My main worry is my hypersensitivity to noise. Any noise. Everyday noise. Screeching or screaming children, cutlery hitting crockery (doesn't have to be loud)Saucepan against saucepan. (I have to keep out of the kitchen when my wife is cooking)Squealing brakes. General conversation in restaraunts (have you ever noticed that there is always one table louder than others)
The list is endless. Needless to say I have a daily intake of 6 or more headache pills as well as Amitriptyline tablets. My doctor just says I'm unique.
Are there any fellow sufferers out there???
Regards
Markanthony

Old 11-14-2001, 06:06 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Since you are still getting the headaches it would seem to me that the Amitriptyline is not working for you. I would head back to the neurologist and have them try something else for preventative medicine. As for taking 6 or more headache tablets a day........you could very well be suffering from rebound headaches along with your normal migraine headaches. Either way you need to go back to the neurologist to get these under control. You may be unique but your Neurologist is not doing a very unique job of helping your headaches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2002, 03:46 PM   #3

Rotund HB User
I too get headaches from loud noises. They come on right away when something loud happens, could even be a t.v. ad. I try to keep the volume down, keep noise to a minimum when possible, take a relaxing bath, go for regular massage and when all else fails and I cant stand the pain take 2 fiorinal. works like a charm
Rotund

Old 01-09-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Inactive

Wowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB User
It's a condition called Phonophobia, and many people with migraine-type headaches can have this.

There are so many medications available, that if one isn't working well for you, you may want to try another one; I'd talk to your MD about it.

Also, during the most sensitive times, you may want to try buying a small pair of soft earplugs and using them to either calm down a headache that's already started or stave one off.

Good luck and take care.

Old 01-10-2002, 09:39 AM   #5
markanthony

Thanks Wowwweee
Further investigation reveals that I am suffering from "hyperacsis" which is sensitive to loud noise and the only "treatment" is hearing therapy as it is supposed to be stress related.
My question would be, I can be as relaxed as the next man but if someone creates a lod noise in my vicinity,pow!instant headache, so I fail to see the stress relationship.
Regards

Closed Thread