It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2001, 02:44 AM   #1

WhiteSnow HB User
Post Morning Migraine Headhache!

During a couple of weeks i always woke up with a migraine, I dont know why, i always have migraine but not that much during the morning when i woke up, maybe it the weather who is changing so much, it very hot and after a other day it very cold, maybe it stress or anxiety. I take motrine migraine, it help a bit but after a few hours I have a migraine again but did they have something else more strong to get aways those migraines and why now i have it all the time when i woke up?

Old 07-13-2001, 05:33 AM   #2
(female)

MLWC HB User
WhiteSnow...
I also suffer from migraines in the morning, just after I wake up. However, I usually get them on the weekends or on days when I oversleep. I know it seems weird to get "too much" sleep, but I have read that oversleeping can trigger migraine.

Also, check the ingredients on the Motrin migraine...I'm not sure that it's anything besides ibuprofen (the same as regular Motrin or Advil). I use Excedrin Migraine. It's a combo of acetominophen, aspirin and caffeine working together... I only take one and it works really well. Beats using some of those heavy prescriptions like Fiorocet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2001, 06:40 AM   #3

sarahb HB User
Hi WhiteSnow, when I get a migraine it is most likely to be in the early morning. A neurologist once told me that migraines follow a time clock...something to do with the hypothalmus (sp) gland. I have also noticed that I will start to get headachey right before a bm. I am taking verapamil (calcium channel blocker) as a preventative, which seems to help. I also have an oxygen tank for breakthrough headaches. I try to avoid pain killers as I have found that they will bring on additional headaches (rebound). I never believed that a few years ago, I used to eat T3s like candy.
I have cluster migraines, and right now I am going through a cycle. I am careful of the foods I eat. Nitrates and highly processed foods are almost certain to cause a breakthrough headache for me..always in the morning, not a great way to start the day!!

[This message has been edited by sarahb (edited 07-13-2001).]

Old 07-13-2001, 06:49 AM   #4

sarahb HB User
I was told to take ibuprofen as a preventative a few years back. I'm assuming that it does help some people, although it didn't help me. Headaches suck

Old 07-13-2001, 09:37 PM   #5

WhiteSnow HB User

Hi all,
Thanx to have respond to my post. Yea migraine suck!!!
Take care

Old 09-02-2001, 10:52 AM   #6

lovelei3 HB User
Sarahb--
I've been taking Verapamil for over 4 yrs now. It has been wonderful as a preventative. I have taken Midrin, Pamelor, Motrin 600 or 800mgs, and Imitrex.
I prefer prevention over trying to relieve the pain.
Hey I'd rather not hurt at all. :=)
But I am familiar with the early a.m. headache. I may have one if I've been lazy about taking my pills. You know delayed picking up the refill, something really dumb. And sometime around 4.30a.m. or so, the pain that cannot be described to anyone who has never experienced it, awakens you like an anvil on your head--heavy and oh so painful. If you could see }-< , you would throw yourself under a train, out of a window, you get the picture. But, of course, the pain is blinding you, so you have to figure out how to live. Meds, even a hot shower, and I know it sounds weird, a hot coffee helps. But, I'll do whatever it takes.

Good luck to all of you. I may not know exactly what you are dealing with, but it's definitely not a mystery to me.

lovelei3

Old 09-05-2001, 04:37 PM   #7

BBMom HB User
Yes I get the morning migraines also! It's horrible. Sometimes if I wake up early enough and feel it coming on, I'll get up and take one excedrin and it that will help. But if it doesn't I know it's going to be a doozy! I'm interested in this channel blocker that a couple of you have mentioned. I don't think my doctor has ever recommended that. Imitrex doesn't work for me, sometimes napracin workes, or Vicadin.

Old 03-02-2002, 06:28 PM   #8

davidsonya HB User
Lightbulb

If you are getting headaches on the weekend (a.k.a. If you are getting headaches on the weekend (a.k.a. The Weekend Migraine)caused by sleeping in past the time you normally get up for work during the week.....ELIMINATE CAFFEINE FROM YOUR DIET IMIEDATLY!!! I Got the weekend migraine for 10 years until I figured out that it was the caffeine that was causing it. Now I only drink decaffeinated coffee and caffeine free soda pop and I have not had a weekend migraine headache in 4 years. Skeptic? Try it for a week and you will see!

David.

Old 03-05-2002, 11:14 AM   #9

MelanieB HB User
I also suffer from morning headaches. Mine however are caused by a TMJ problem combined with severe bruxism (clenching and grinding your teeth while you sleep). If you are a clencher or grinder, and you wake up with headaches, I'd be willing to be that your bruxism habit has a lot to do with it. Bruxing all night puts major strain on your facial and neck muscles, which very often leads to severe headaches. Your jaw muscles are incredibly strong, strong enough to put the thin muscles on your head into spasm and cause a headache. If you have a TMJ disorder, then the effect worsens.

Classic TMJ/bruxism morning headaches usually cover parts of the face (eyes and cheeks, feels almost like a sinus headache), side of the head, and base of the skull in the back.

Melanie

Closed Thread