It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2002, 03:03 PM   #1

StarLove HB User
Question Bad neck pain & headaches

Got an appt with a neurologist, but wondered if anyone had experienced this or had any ideas...

I do get migraines but lately been suffering from a new type of headache. They have been stemming from extreme neck pain. When my neck starts to hurt, it gets extremely painful, stiff and grinds/cracks like nothing else. If the pain stays long enough, the headaches spawn from the neck and spread up the back of my head to all over the top of the head.
My primary was trying to say I was having migraines but she gave my Imitrex during one and it didn't help at all, possibly even worsened the episode. (She had said if the Imitrex helped then the diag was migraines)

Well that's all, just curious if anyone else ever had this or had any ideas what is causing it.

Thanks all,
Laura
:-)

Old 08-27-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Laura,

I get neck pain and migranes as a result usually of the neck flaring up(whiplash injury). I have c5/6 bulge and have had 2 lots of cortosone facet block injections that helped my neck (numbed it)yet I still get the migranes. Have you had any Xrays or MRI ? It sounds like a neck problem giving you headaches as the muscles under the skull wrap around the eyes and are all interconnected. If I get a headache it's always usually with upper neck pain. Do some more checking with your doc and good luck.
Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2002, 07:16 AM   #3
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

What kind of work do you do? Like possibly a desk job and hunched over a computer? Have you ever suffered any trauma such as whiplash injury? I only ask as I very much agree that your headaches are definitely stemming from your neck pain.

The muscles normally involved in this are the trapezius muscles that run up the sides of the neck from the shoulders and go up to the occiput (base of the skull). Headaches that start like yours are very much to do with the muscles.

It is a good idea to go and see your doc/neurologist to ensure that there is nothing serious going on. However, I would suggest that you see a good physical therapist or have some massage. Tui Na, which is a form of Chinese acupressure/massage is extremely good for these types of headache. Also, acupuncture is extremely effective for all types of headache and also migraines and most practitioners use massage too.

In terms of Chinese Medicine, it sounds as if you have a lot of stagnation in your Gallbladder Meridian, which runs up the sides of neck and all over the sides and top of the head. This meridian is very prone to stagnation.

Anyway, try some acupuncture/massage and see if this is helpful.

Good luck

Old 09-20-2002, 12:57 AM   #4

StarLove HB User
*BUMP*

Just hoping for some more feedback concerning this...

<=-P

Old 09-20-2002, 04:38 AM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Did you not bother to read my feedback or are you not interested in my suggestions?

What kind of feedback do you want?

Old 09-29-2002, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
Laura, I agree that this sounds so familiar! I had cervical spine surgery on June 7, and now during recovery I'm getting headaches that sound very similar to yours. They are muscle related, as after 7 weeks in a hard collar and then the soft collar for about the same length of time my neck is downright wimpy.

You should get an MRI of your cervical spine to see if there are any problems. I'm still trying to find a drug that cuts the headache when I get them.

PT has helped-I'm in my third week and it has loosened up the trapezoids so the headaches are not as frequent. One thing I've noted since surgery is my hormonally induced migraines are worse, but I'm hoping with healing they will improve.

My suggestions would be to get that MRI, ask about some PT to loosen up the muscles and give you relief, and watch your posture. I sound like my mom here, but sit up straight and tuck in your chin to keep your neck as straight as possible. It really does help.

If you find a med that kicks this kind of pain in the butt, let me know. I go back to the surgeon on Oct. 2, and you can bet I'll be asking for something to take when the pain gets the better of me.

------------------
Nancy D

Old 09-30-2002, 03:03 PM   #7
Super Sarah

Talking

You suggest physical therapy, but acupuncture is a hell of a lot more effective than any analgesia you will ever take. Try it and see.

Old 11-16-2002, 11:19 PM   #8

amilyne HB User
this is called occipital neuralgia.i have these haedaches and they are awful.
ami

Old 11-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #9
Super Sarah

Talking

These headaches stem primarily from the stiffness in the muscles of the neck. In terms of acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, this is typical of stagnation in the Gallbladder Meridian, which runs up the sides of the neck and the head.

I would strongly suggest that you go and have some acupuncture treatment, as this could really help. Acupuncture is also extremely good for migraines too and can help prevent them and also help you to cut down on your meds.

If you don't like the idea of that, then do go and see a Chiropractor or an Osteopoath. Both of these practitioners can also have a very powerful effect on both neck pain, headaches and migraines.

Old 11-23-2002, 04:46 PM   #10
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
I would agree with the responses above about acupuncture. After 5 years of unsuccessful Chiropractic treatment, I turned to Acupuncture which has been brilliant and I am a strong believer. he said I had an adversion to cold and that my blood was stagnated - the acupuncture opens up the energy pathways through the body. If not, try Cranial Osteopathy which is also highly successful. My headaches sound similar to yours - I have always presumed mine are tension headaches rather than migraine. Try the acupuncture.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:56 AM   #11

digitaldoc HB User
Can you recommend any good referral places for an accupuncturist that treats migraines.
Thanks.
RAM

------------------

Old 11-25-2002, 02:05 PM   #12
Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
Where are you from?

Old 12-01-2002, 04:50 PM   #13

CJCarroll HB User
Hi Laura,

I am 27 years old and have had neck pain for about 4 years with no known injury. Usually the right side of my neck hurts and I have my neck adjusted by the chiropractor
and it feel better for about a month and then I get my neck adjusted again. But now just starting this year I get
migrain headaches on the right top side of my head and I take an imetrex and the headache goes away.
For the last 2 months I have been going to a new chiropractor that took x-rays of my neck and instead of having the C curvature in my neck that everyone is suppose to have it is straight and you can see that in my posture. Also the neck bones are jagged and not lined up.
Over the last three days now the left side of neck has been in pain and I have a headache on the left side. I can't even sit up straight sitting here at my computer. I must say, my pain is getting so bad it makes it very hard to live. I wonder when I go to work, will I
get a migraine today. I have been seeing the chiropractor once a week. I did want to ask you, do you know what the cause of your neck pain is and has anything worked for you like, acupuncture or massage. Did you see a chiropractor? If you did how did that go?
Please email me, I would like to hear your input.

Old 12-09-2002, 07:39 AM   #14
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User
This is going to sound really silly, but it does work. I have had migraines my entire life (ophthalmoplegic ones and others.) I also get them due to neck strain (from the muscles.) Try putting a little Ben Gay on the back of your neck, just into the hairline. I know it's messy, but it works. I've been doing it for so long, that I actually find the smell kind of relaxing. (Yeah, I sound like I'm 100, I know.)

Sue

Old 01-15-2003, 08:02 PM   #15

Amosquito HB User
SuperSarah:

Are you a nurse? I think I read that in one of your posts. You're very knowledgeable. Have you seen many people with chronic tension head/neckaches who also get vertigo from that? The "tensors" or something like that cause mine. When I get LIGHT massage or PT, it makes my neck feel like poison is released in my body that causese extreme pain, then a master blaster headache for days. I've been told by my doc. to take Zanaflex to get through this initial period of PT and massage while facet joints and other stuff that hasn't been moved in years, gets moved. Makes me sleepy and have to get a ride to treatment.

Closed Thread