It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2002, 09:46 AM   #1

Skuld HB User
Exclamation What Food Should I stay away from for Migraines?

What foods should I stay away from for Migraines? I'm only a 15 Yr. Old and need to now ASAP!

Old 12-25-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
Not sure of every food but I have heard a biggie is caffiene and every food that has it. Coffee, tea, coke, pepsi, mountain dew, chocolate and many more. There are probably other things but this is all I know for now.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD for 12 years
Carpal Tunnel syndrome
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured now I think)
Alot of past Medical Problems so if I can help in other areas of health...I will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2002, 08:07 PM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User
Your dr. should be able to provide you with the list of potential foods that may trigger a migraine. You don't want to avoid the whole list at once. Eliminate one thing at a time from your diet for 2-4 weeks. If your migraines stop then you know you found a trigger. Then move on to trying the next item and then the next. It is a very long slow process to find triggers. It takes many months. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #4

Skuld HB User
Here are some foods(I found out.) To stay away from!

Certain foods-most often those with tyramine, a natural chemical-can provoke migraines. These include ripe cheeses such as brie and cheddar, the cheese and yeast in pizza, nuts, peanut butter, chicken livers, smoked meats, and alcohol (especially red wine). Caffeine can also trigger a migraine.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 12-27-2002).]

Old 01-03-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
littlesheep1999

CHEESE
ANYTHING THAT CONTAINS NUTS
CHOCHOLATE
FISH (especially prawns)
and to much caffene does it for me.......

if one day i opnly have 2 cups of coffee and i have a migrane that night i have a very very strong cupp of coffee...

if one day i have alot of coffee and i have a migrane i suffer, untill 2 paracetomols, (500mg) 1 ibrupafan (500mg) settles in after one hr of taking them and still nothing i will have a cupp of very weak tea with alot of sugar a half of another ibrupafan... i have never suffered after that for a few weaks...

i dont eat cheese, chocholate, fish especially prawns o no.. i hate prawns..

------------------
donna

Old 01-08-2003, 02:57 PM   #6
littlesheep1999

Question

any luck?

------------------
donna

Old 02-10-2003, 04:35 PM   #7

simeone HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Skuld:
What foods should I stay away from for Migraines? I'm only a 15 Yr. Old and need to now ASAP!
Hi There
You should stop anything with aspartame, diet products. Since I stopI do not have half of headaches I use to have. Good Luck and Take Care.

Old 02-10-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Do a search for migraine triggers out on the web and use this list as a guide. If you have had migraines for a while you most likely have some clue as to what your triggers are be it food related or enviroment related. Foods are not always a trigger for all people. For me birth control pills were the cause of my migraines but the things that would trigger one for me was stress and alcohol. Quitting the pill caused the migraines to stop until I started having severe sinusitis and sinus infections. Now that I have that under control it has been probably 4-5 years since I have had a migraine.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Hey, everyone's triggers ar different but some common ones are:

Chocolate
Caffeine
Cheese
Alcohol
Coffee
Nuts etc.

Old 05-15-2003, 12:03 PM   #10

BigBadBert HB User
Start to keep a diary of your headaches. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to migraines, but my relatives (mom, sister, grandmother) all told me to keep a diary of what was going on before the migraine: Lighting, foods and beverages consumed, noises, weather, activities, starting symptoms, even scents (perfumes, cleaning products).

Unfortunately, it may take a while to figure out your triggers. It may end up being a combonation of things. For instance: caffiene, cloudy days (low barometric pressure), florescent lighting, and MSG (monosodium glutamate, a flavor enhancer) all dominate my migraine experiences. Yet I know that if I take out the MSG, I'm fine (otherwise I would never make it at work). I also know that caffiene (in Excedrin or in soft drinks)
can help me stop a migraine before it really gets going.

Hope this helps http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

Old 05-16-2003, 12:56 PM   #11
Inactive

zip2play HB User
CHOCOLATE...ESPECIALLY CHOCOLATE + BOOZE.

Sometimes apples, sometimes peanuts (especially if I don't take out the growth nib) for me.

If I want a small amount of cocoa (the worst)or milk chocolate, I must be careful to NOT have it with any of the lesser offenders....like BOOZE!

Common wisdom says commonest offender is
Orange Juice...but not for me.

For me, caffeine is soothing...in fact my drug of choice ergot come packaged with caffeine (cafergot)

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 05-16-2003).]

Old 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #12

Sunni58 HB User
Ive had migraines for 15 years. I don't have a food trigger that I am aware of but my family members have some
MSG is a strong trigger for alot of people
dairy products
pizza is my son's trigger

Old 05-25-2003, 05:51 PM   #13

fatesdestinie HB User
Wink

Well, everyone is different when it comes to triggers. but, i agree with simeone. my triggers happen to be stress and nutrasweet (diet soda is a killer!)
crystal

Old 05-28-2003, 06:53 AM   #14

Romi Wallis HB User
Hello! It took me half my life to find my trigger. Soy/Soya sauce or any soy/soya product. Soya flour, chocolates that contain soya (most do, but some don't). Chinese food! Rich in soya. I posted my soya story in the Allergy forum. Strange thing is quite a few fellow migraine sufferers I have come into contact with have reported getting migraines after eating Chinese food and/or Sushi. Obviously, not everyone has the same triggers nor the same relief but it is worth considering. I hope you manage to find yours. When I found that soya was the culprit my migraines reduced in frequency and intensity by 90%. Every now and then a bit of soya slips into something. I only know that when I begin to feel a migraine coming on. Investigation of the product I have just ingested proves, without fail, that there was a soya content! Good luck, I wish you well. Romi.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skuld:

[This message has been edited by Romi Wallis (edited 05-28-2003).]

Old 06-01-2003, 09:01 AM   #15

haditinpa HB User
Talking

Chocolate for sure.
Also very sweet food like cakes or cookies.
Wine is a guarenteed headache too.

Oh and for me for sure is perfume or anything scented will bring one on. For years I have asked people not to wear anything scented around me cause it really gives me bad bad headaches.

I have one starting now and I am not sure if it is the weather or something I ate because I really didn't eat
anything bad. I seem to get them more when it is raining or gonna rain.

[This message has been edited by haditinpa (edited 06-01-2003).]

Closed Thread