It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 12:35 AM   #1

want2Bcalm HB User
Post Aura's while driving.....HELP!!!!!

I am always so worried I will get a migraine, starting with the aura while I am driving on the freeway. And I will not be able to see, at night its really bad with the oncoming headlights glaring in my eyes. My aura's last 30 minutes and are the colorfull, brighly flashing dot that builds up into a huge geometric arc, and I am blinded by the light. And then it is gone and the headache arrives...
But I am soo scared about it happening on the freeway and I will be driving through a bad part of town and have to pull over and sit wait there for 30 minutes...
Any advise ???? Please and thank you! Whats a girl to do??? I am afraid sitting in a bad area for 30 min or so....but I know I can not drive when my vision is so distorted......HELP!!
By the way it has happend to me before and I kept driving, not a great idea! I really could hardly see....

[This message has been edited by want2Bcalm (edited 06-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #2

jafc HB User
Hi, I'm new to this board but when I saw your post I just had to respond. My auras also last 30 minutes and last Nov., I got one while driving with my two kids bringing, my older son to preschool (7 minutes from my house thank goodness). I got him to school and ran back to the car with my younger son and used all of my powers of concentration to get us home pronto. You might be thinking "what bad judgement" but I knew I had time to get home before the pain kicked in (at the time I was still nursing my younger son and couldn't take my Imitrex) and I could still see well enough.

If I were you, had frequent migraines, and was regularly driving through unsafe areas away from my neighborhood or town, I would consider programming the local police dept. phone numbers into my cell phone. Then if I had an aura and was more than a couple of minutes from my destination, I could call the police to request some protection while waiting out the aura.

I'm curious -- you mention that you would only be pulled over for 30 minutes. What would happen when the pain arrives? For me, if I squint and concentrate hard, I can drive for a little while but when the pain comes, unless I've taken Imitrex, I'm vomiting and crying and cannot function at all.

------------------
Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #3

want2Bcalm HB User
Hi Judy, thanks for replying. Where I live, L.A. I don't think the police would come sit with me because I have a headache....they have crime to fight!
Anyway after the aura when the headache comes its usually not an extreme severe a headache. I don't throw up , may feel like it a bit but never have....
The aura is the scariest part for me, when I get the aura I take a midrin and it really helps the pain of the headache....
Take care......

Old 06-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #4

tmooreLPN HB User
That's my biggest fear too. I have about 15 minutes from the start of the aura and the ear ringing until the full blown migraine starts. I'm afraid that I'll be somewhere and not have my medication. When the aura starts it's hard for me to see and once the full blown migraine sets in I really can't see because of the sensitivity to light. So because of that fear I've become a girl scout who is always prepared. I take my Rx everywhere because over the past 16 years of recurrent migraines I and my doctor have yet to find what my triggers are.
I guess that's about all I can do.

Closed Thread