It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #1

ButterflyGirl22 HB User
Post Best Migraine meds?

I am taking Immitrex for migraines and I'm wondering if anyone has tried more than one migraine medicine or can suggest the best one out there. Immitrex helps, but doesn't make my migraines go away. I am not able to work when I have a migraine. I want to take something that allows me to function as normally as possible. I was told by my eye doctor, who suggested Immitrex to me, that it helps her to function, but that's not the case with me. I had to double my dose to 100mg because 50mg, at least for one specific migraine I had, did absolutely nothing to help. My doctor was shocked that it didn't help. My migraines must be pretty bad then. Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions as to the "best" medicine out there for migraines. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2003, 07:15 PM   #2

Selina90 HB User
My dr. just put me on imitrex too. I started on 50 milligrams and it did not take the headache away. It made it slightly duller. It made my chest so tight, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Did it affect your chest that way? I called my dr. and said I can't take this stuff. So I have an appt. next week. I'm curious to see what he will try next. I don't know anything about migraine medicine, so I want to know what the people on this site have to say!! I was not impressed with the imitrex though, so don't feel bad!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #3

ButterflyGirl22 HB User
Thanks for your response. As far as I know, 100mg is the highest dose of Immitrex my doctor will allow. It helps, but not enough. Let me know what your doctor gives you and if it works. How often do you get migraines? I don't get them very often, but when I do, they are really bad. Over the counter migraine medicines don't help me at all. I seem to get migraines mostly when I don't get enough sleep and when I'm stressed. I usually take regular headache medicine on mornings when I know I haven't gotten enough sleep, to try to prevent a migraine. I did that for the past two days, but got a migraine this morning. I guess there's no real prevention for a migraine, unfortunately! Tight feelings in your chest are a bad side effect of Immitrex that I read about, but luckily I don't have that. Migraine medicine is scary stuff. I know it's really important to not take it unless you are 100% sure you have a migraine. I get blind/blurry spots so I know when I have one. I hope you can find a migraine medicine that you can take, that works. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2003, 01:51 PM   #4

Olgab HB User
Lightbulb

I have also been a migraine suffer for years. I remember taking these pills that made me drowsy and could not function normally. I had no choice than to live with it. A few years later I started suffering from Gall stones and doctors blamed migraines on my gall bladder. Once I had surgery I thought my migraines were going to be history. Unfortunetly, they never went away.

I researched every possible website on the internet. I found Migrahealth and gave it a shot. You have no idea how that helped me! I can now live a normal life. Since it is a natural product it doesn’t make me drowsy. I saw results within a month. I only take one pill twice a day and buy it online. Migrahealth acts as a nutritional supplement that combines magnesium, Riboflavin (B2) and Fevervew.

I f you want to give it a try, check out their website: [url="http://www.migrahealth.com"]www.migrahealth.com[/url]
I hope you get better and good luck.

Olga B.

Old 06-06-2003, 03:00 PM   #5
Inactive

Karla HB User
I use imitrix and have tried maxalt, axert, frova, amerge, migranol, midrin(duridrin), butabiltol, stadol ns, and many others. I have found imitrix to be the fastest acting ns and shot form. I have also found imitirx to be the best acting. But that is for me. We are all individuals/different and you need to try them to see which ones offer you the best protection. Keep trying until you find one you like or after you have tried them all the one that offers you the most protection from the pain/ha.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #6

ButterflyGirl22 HB User
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have a history of bad reactions to medications, so I'm afraid to try anything new, but I know that if I don't, I'll never know if there is something better for me. A woman I work with used to get migraines and she told me she doesn't get them anymore, ever since she had a hysterectomy. Hmm... No thanks! I'm 26 and I'd still like to have kids someday! That's another thing I worry about... Being pregnant one day and getting a migraine, but not being able to take anything for it! Tylenol does nothing for my migraines. I guess I'll deal with that when it happens.

Old 08-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #7

Kaisey HB User
Smile

Just an FYI and a possible happy note - most of the time, for some reason, pregancy staves off migraines. I've had terrible migraines since age 15 - usually 2-3 times a week - and have found nothing that works for them. I've given up on the other meds and just take Tylenol #3 just to dim the pain a little so that I can half-function to get things done. Imetrex and the other migraine meds have not helped at all and some have made the migraines worse. But, I've had two babies and during both pregnancies only had one migraine - not even half as bad pain-wise as usual. The Tylenol #3 is safe to take during pregnancy, according to my doctor, but I didn't even need it for those 2 headaches. So, hopefully you'll be like most women with migraines and not have them when pregnant!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:12 AM   #8

ButterflyGirl22 HB User
Smile

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear about how often you get migraines. What is Tylenol #3? I've never heard of it. Is that what the box will say? With my migraines they're so bad that even with Imitrex, which if I take it early enough it helps "a little", I still can't really function normally, at least with the more recent bad ones I've gotten. Any time I got a migraine at work, I had to go home. They're just too painful, plus with the visual auras, I can't see to do anything, which can be scary if I need to drive home. I'll see if I can find that Tylenol #3 and give that a try when I need it. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones whenever I'm pregnant to not get migraines! Thanks!

Old 08-01-2003, 11:37 AM   #9

PVS HB User
Tylenol #3 is a combination of Tylenol and Codeine. You need a prescription to get it.

In my opinion-it is safe during pregnancy - I took it when I absolutely needed it during my pregnancies and had no complications from it. I would have gone insane from the pain if I didn't have something.

Tylenol #3 works like this for me:

It does not get rid of the migraine but it makes me not care so much about the pain. Sometimes it dulls the pain somewhat.

GL-PVS

Old 08-02-2003, 06:49 PM   #10
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I just typed up a long reply before this, but must have logged in wrong so I lost it! So let me try this again...

If your looking for the Quick fix solutions for migraines, talk to your doctor about all the triptans, not just imitrex. I use 2 different ones, and sort of switch back and forth because then I don't get too used to the one only. (never take them at the same time though). I would assume that if you can take imitrex that you shouldn't have any problems taking any of the other triptans.
Anyway My doctor wouldn't even let me try imitrex b/c she thinks it's the worst one out on the market, for side effects and effectiveness. As someone said earlier, everyone is different, so I would suggest you ask your doctor to get you a few samples of the different ones and see what works for you. (my types are Zomig ZMT and Amerge). Good luck!

Old 08-02-2003, 10:21 PM   #11

ButterflyGirl22 HB User
Thanks for your input. Of Zomig ZMT and Amerge, do you prefer or recommend one over the other? Do they seem to work the same for you, with no side effects? The next time I see a doctor I'll definitely ask for samples of different migraine meds! Thanks!

Old 08-02-2003, 11:39 PM   #12
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I like them both for different reasons. Zomig ZMT dissolves in your mouth so it is pretty fast acting, but the side effects are more prevelent (for me), and Amerge is slower acting, but little to no side effects (for me). The zomig side effects that can be the most bothersome is the drowsiness/feeling of heaviness. Sometimes I feel sinus pressure. But I use them because they work pretty damn good, and I am used to the side effects. But if I have to be totally alert and such and can handle the extra wait for relief I will take the Amerge, since it doesn't make me feel as drowsy. Sorry I wrote a novel to answer your question.

The only thing is you would most likely have to find this stuff out for yourself since everyone is different with how they handle these drugs.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User
What Laney00 stated..............
"The only thing is you would most likely have to find this stuff out for yourself since everyone is different with how they handle these drugs."

Is so true. You need to discuss w/your dr preferably a Neurologist.
What has worked for me "lately" is a combination of Vitimin B2-100mg/daily, Frova, Zomig & Vioxx. This is my 2nd migraine management program w/a new neuro.
I still get migraines & suffer the side effects (drowsiness, dizzyness & insomnia), but the above combination of meds do provide relief. Zomig is very fast acting (10-15 min) so I use that med w/my worst migraines.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:33 AM   #14

yoga1st HB User
i have taken almost every narcotic for migraines and they just dull the pain i even ended up with a shot of morphine in the butt and it still didn't take it away , when the local clinic called me back they had me come in and gave me a shot of imitrex and within minutes my migraine was totally gone,so now i carry the shots with me every where i go , the nose spray only works on me if i catch the migraine at the very first ~twinge~ i haven't tried the pill form,i have no insurance so thank god the dr provides samples for me!!
yoga

Old 08-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #15
(female)

Laney00 HB User
I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, could be advertising, but imitrex is supposedly giving out coupons for your next 6 prescriptions if you call them or go to their website! Sounds like a good deal if that's your migraine med choice, and if you have no insurance b/c they are soooo expensive.

Closed Thread