It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 09:06 PM   #1

kebikun HB User
Post throbbing vein on temple

Hey everybody, this is my first post here so be patient with me =). Here's my situation. I used to suffer from constant headaches (roughly 3 per week) which would usually persist and worsen throughout the whole day. Now that it's summer, I haven't had these headaches nearly as frequently but a new problem has arisen. My problem is this:
2 months ago, a friend pointed out that there was a big vein on my head. I went home to investigate and surely enough, there was a vein running from my hairline, through my right temple traveling to my ear. Besides being aesthetically unusual, I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm 21 now and I've never noticed the vein. In comfortable conditions (relaxed, room temperature) the vein is slightly visible. However, if its hot or if I run or something along those lines, the vein becomes very obvious and pulsates quite a bit. This would be fine I suppose if it went away relatively quickly but it doesn't. For example, today I was driving my car and it was reasonably hot (maybe 85 degrees) out. As usual, my vein started to throb so I stopped near a well shaded, cool are to rest for a while. I waited nearly an hour as the vein refused to go away and continued throbbing and pulsating. This worries me some. It worries me more that it seems relatively new. I was curious. Does anybody else have this "problem" (provided that it is problematic) and if so, what was done about it? Is there something that triggers it in particular? Other than being mildly stressed and frustrated, I can't understand where this vein came from. It's completely absent from my left temple. Anyway, sorry about the long post and thanks for any responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 07:11 AM   #2

pebbles852 HB User
I have been searching for a while trying to find someone who experiences this I was beginning to feel alone I experience this throbbing feeling on my right side of my head also feels like a thumping sensation kinda scary because when I ask others if they have experienced this they look at me like what are you talking about (sigh) whenever my head throbs I can put my hand to my head and actually feel the vein throbbing
it happens a lot most of the time it happens when I have had a long day and I am tired, or stressed, or angry
maybe it has something to do with stress I was wondering how many of these thumping sensations do you get a day? Do you lead a stressful life?

Old 07-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #3

kebikun HB User
I'd say my life is moderately stressful. Right now I'm in a bit of a stagnant situation so
I've been fairly frustrated and/or depressed. I've noticed that the vein appears
usually when its hot and i'm sweating. The throbbing sensation isn't especially noticeable
until i sit still at which point I can feel it on my right temple. In many cases, If
I'm upset and speaking my mind, the vein will appear. I haven't had a headache for a while now
but I'm still curious if the vein is a result of it. I do notice veins on other people's
heads occasionally, but never to the degree that I see my own. Is the vein on your
head visible at the time that your tired or is there just the thumping sensation? Some
people have suggested high blood pressure as the reason behind it. It's hard to say how often
I get the thumping sensations. For the most part it's every time i'm in hot weather, weather
or not I do any physical work. Go figure.

Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 PM   #4

pebbles852 HB User
No I dont think the vein shows but I can feel it thumping when it happens
at least I dont think it shows I have never been able to catch it in the mirror when it happens and I asked my friends if they can see it when it is happening they said no so I dont really know

As far as high blood pressure whenever I go to the doctor they tell me my blood pressure is fine

I used to get headaches too before this started happening I used to get a headache everytime I got mad cried or really stressed now instead I just get these thumping sensations

Are you going to visit a doctor about this? I will be scheduling one tommorow I have been holding out on going because I was fearing for the worst but I really need to know what this is about

Old 08-31-2003, 10:11 PM   #5

joecessini HB User
I have been having a similar problem for almost two months now, I get a pain in my vein on my right temple at least once or twice a day or just all day. The pain got so intense I went to the ER, they did a CT scan, I had tumors years ago so this was a must, it showed nothing. They only found that I had elevated BP(intense pain can do that, duh!)gave me BP medicine and moraphine and sent me on my way, not saying if the two are even connected. So I started to ride my bicycle again to get back to good health after riding the first few days my head began to hurt, I took the pain for about two weeks, I came home and my head hurt so bad I took painkillers I have had for a previous unrelated condition. I went to the Dentist and had a wisdom tooth pulled, thinking that was the problem of my pain, it didn't help and by that time I was so stressed out and I felt like I was going insane. Now a few more weeks later I still have the pain in my vein, I need some peace of mind and a solution, any help on what you have gone through or know about this is appriciated.
And FYI I am 27m, I have a reletivly stress-free job, I just took a vaction to Daytona to relieve any stress, I am heavy but I have not changed weight, no changes in diet or anything really, I do the same stuff most every day, no traumatic events, etc.
Once again thank you in advance for any assistance.
Joe.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
(male)

JTxc HB User
Re: throbbing vein on temple

My name is Joe and I am 16. I have been experiencing this same problem too, but only recently. I go to a charter school and I only go once a week but do homework in between the weeks and turn it in at the end of the week and take a test. Well I recently started algebra about 4 weeks ago. I find it pretty easy once I learn it but my first test I failed and that put stress on me next time I did it. So now when I do my tests I stress alot thinking I might fail again. Well the vein in my head started about 1 week ago. I felt fine after and all day. But then around 11pm I started feeling like my head was being squeezed and I didn't know what was wrong and I felt on my head and on the side of my head I could feel, but not see the vein throbbing (pumping blood I assume) through my head from about the tip of my ear (sideburn area) about to right above the middle of my eyebrow. I looked in the mirror and couldn't see it, then sat down for about a minute, looked again and I could just barely see a vein along the side of my left eye. I woke my mom up and she stayed up with me till I started feeling a little better and fell asleep. And now today after I had done my 3rd test today and I felt fine all day but later today I started feeling that vein again except it was on the opposite side and noton the side it was originally on(it was originally on the left side of my head and now my right) I don't feel pain from it though, just a little pressure, as if someone is pressing something against the side of my head. So I assume it is stress related, if it doesn't stop by next week I probably will go see a doctor about it.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
(male)

hairydeal16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebikun View Post
Hey everybody, this is my first post here so be patient with me =). Here's my situation. I used to suffer from constant headaches (roughly 3 per week) which would usually persist and worsen throughout the whole day. Now that it's summer, I haven't had these headaches nearly as frequently but a new problem has arisen. My problem is this:
2 months ago, a friend pointed out that there was a big vein on my head. I went home to investigate and surely enough, there was a vein running from my hairline, through my right temple traveling to my ear. Besides being aesthetically unusual, I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm 21 now and I've never noticed the vein. In comfortable conditions (relaxed, room temperature) the vein is slightly visible. However, if its hot or if I run or something along those lines, the vein becomes very obvious and pulsates quite a bit. This would be fine I suppose if it went away relatively quickly but it doesn't. For example, today I was driving my car and it was reasonably hot (maybe 85 degrees) out. As usual, my vein started to throb so I stopped near a well shaded, cool are to rest for a while. I waited nearly an hour as the vein refused to go away and continued throbbing and pulsating. This worries me some. It worries me more that it seems relatively new. I was curious. Does anybody else have this "problem" (provided that it is problematic) and if so, what was done about it? Is there something that triggers it in particular? Other than being mildly stressed and frustrated, I can't understand where this vein came from. It's completely absent from my left temple. Anyway, sorry about the long post and thanks for any responses.
Wow finally i find someone with a similar problem, i have nearly the exact same thing! only it is in my chest on my left side, and i do not need to put my hand on my chest to feel the throbbing, in fact one can physically see it just my looking at my chest, for me however it is more random, it can happen when im resting exercising sitting laying etc. but for me it takes a long time to go away, for example right now i have been having this problem for 4 days! it is on and off but it is frustrating since it won't go away.. i got a smaller thing happening in my leg to, i am not usual one to worry about my health at all though but this does worry me a fair bit considering i am only 16!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
(male)

houndpirate HB User

I have the same thing on the left side of my head. It really hurts, alot. Sometimes it happens every day for a week. Sometimes I go six months without any trouble. How can this thread have been going six years without anyone having an answer. Nice to know i'm not the only one. I'm 23.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
(male)

tofs247 HB User

I have the same thing only i get constant pressure in my left temple along with slight dizzienes

Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
(male)

hairydeal16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofs247 View Post
I have the same thing only i get constant pressure in my left temple along with slight dizzienes
mhm well mine i had an injury there as a kid i got hit with a medal bat in the head and was never taken to the hospital... it can be rather painful sometimes but eoepl say that if it was serious problems would have occurred long ago... still it cna go on for weeks at a time and sometimes move to my chest....how long have you had it for?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
(male)

hairydeal16 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndpirate View Post
I have the same thing on the left side of my head. It really hurts, alot. Sometimes it happens every day for a week. Sometimes I go six months without any trouble. How can this thread have been going six years without anyone having an answer. Nice to know i'm not the only one. I'm 23.
mhm 6 years wow...yea good to know im not the only one! sometimes i can go 4 or 5 months without trouble but other times im not so lucky i get t n different part of my body but mostly my chest and head.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
(male)

BradVans17 HB User

so i see there is still no answer to this...

im 21m and recently started having these attacks.

1 week ago was the first encounter, a throbbing sensation on my right side of my head. it hurt ALOT. i was pretty relaxed watching tv. i had smoked weed about an hour prior and thought maybe that could have been the reason why. but just yesterday it happened again this time on the left-front side of my head and this happened during work (not high at all, in fact i haven't smoked since the 1st attack). this job is not very stressful all i do is sit behind a desk and hand out shoes (bowling alley) i had a customer sitting at the desk at the time and he thought i was having a headache, but it was nothing close to a headache.

ive checked ***** and they dont have anything about veins in the head. (atleast in the symptom search)

i dont know if anyone still goes on here. but im hoping someone found some answers. i really dont want to go see my doctor because hes like 400 years old and scares me. i hope im not dying

Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

If you want to find out if you have a b/p problem--go to ER, they will take your b/p for free? Go to health dept. You need at least three readings before the doc will call it high. Also take it standing, sitting, lying down. Sincerely, searchin

Closed Thread