It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2001, 10:13 PM   #1

deehenry HB User
Smile Head hurts worse when laying down - anyone else have this?

I have had constant head pain for 3 years no with no diagnosis and no relief. I am wondering if anyone else has the experiece of their head hurting worse when they lay their head down. Also, it hurts worse <i>where</i> I lay my head down. For example, if I lay on my back, the back of my head hurts more, if I lay on my side the side of my head hurts more. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2001, 04:46 PM   #2

Hamsmacker HB User
Hi dee,

The only time I experience pain in my head from lying down is when I have a migraine. And even then, that doesn't always happen. I do know what you mean though. There are times when my head can be on the softest pillow, but the *pressure* is just unbearable. Sitting up hurts, lying down hurts etc. I have found that when I put a cloth such as a bandana and tie it tightly around my head, I have an all around even pressure which will allow for my to lie down and TRY to sleep off the migraine. I wish I could help you out with something new to try but I'm sure you've heard/tried them all. I guess this is just a little note to let you know that you are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2001, 01:40 PM   #3
Inactive

Vickie HB User
Unhappy

I know what you mean. Have you tried lying down with an ice pack where the pain is and trying to get to sleep for a little while? Maybe taking Excedrin PM to help. If you take it about a half hour to one hour before you lay down, you may be drowsy enough to sleep through the pain. It may be worth a try. I know how hard it is to try to sleep when you are in so much pain. Also, try massaging your head with your fingers or with a massager. It will give some relief even if only for a few minutes. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2001, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Exclamation

I too get migranes possibly related to a disc bulge c5/6 and I cannot lie down at all when in pain. I sit up on pillows in bed with a ice pack and try to not move untill I can sleep it off or I listen to music with ice on my head and my feet in hot water - this can help alot especially if you add lavender oil. Do you take migrane meds if so what kind because most set up a rebound syndrome which ends up causing more pain.

Old 08-17-2001, 06:10 PM   #5
Magenta

My head usually hurts more when I lie down. I'm still not sure what kind of headaches mine are. Often there will be pain and a taut feeling that goes up one shoulder into the neck and ends in a point on the side of my head just above the temple. Lying down only seems to increase the feeling of tension. Sounds like a tension headache, but there is also sensitivity to light and loud sounds. When I get one like that I can usually count on it lasting all day. Occasionally Ive had one last for two or three days.

Old 09-05-2001, 10:36 PM   #6
thneedle

I've had a few headaches where it hurts to lie down on it, but I know now that they were rebound headaches from taking so many analgesics on a regular basis. They were mostly at the base of my skull in back and were so bad that I couldn't sleep through them. But the 'withdrawal' effect only seemed to last for a day and then I was just left with my usual migraine. Some people ween themselves off the drugs, or your doctor can help.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2001, 08:21 PM   #7
Veteran

robste HB User
If you have sinus problems, sinus headaches are usually worse when you lie down....and, don't think that you only have sinus pain around your eyes...for the past two weeks I've had awful pressure in my head that moves around...temple area, back of head, etc...dr. says it sounds like a bad sinus infection and has started me on sinus medication which has helped. It could be something as simple as that.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:00 PM   #8

Jason30 HB User
I have similar migraines robste; sinus triggers them, but they turn into full blown migraines, and having my head anything but up hurts. When I lay down, I can feel the pressure all over the front of my head, almost feels like it's a gel pack of pain that slides along my forehead and goes straight back into my head.

When I raise my head, the pain is intense. I try sleeping propped up, but always end up with my head prone, and when I awake, the pressure is severe.

Old 10-21-2001, 11:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
For almost 3 years I had the same problem and believe
me I tried every possible remedy I could find, without
relief. At times the headaches hurt so bad it caused
vomiting, other times each step I took caused my head
to throb with pain. I also have problems with depression and hand tremors, and started taking a antidepresant and a high dose (80mg) of propranolol for the tremors and the headaches became less and less. My doctor initially prescribe propranolol for my headaches but only at 10mg and it didn't help. I still
don't know if the headaches eased from the antidepresant, the increased propranolol, the combo of
them both or something else I discovered about menopause.
I don't know how old you are, but I'm 44 and have been premenopausal for about 5 years. It only been the last 2 years that symtoms were really getting to me and I starting researching menopause. To my surprise severe headaches are among the symtoms, along with weight gain not to mention numerous other surprising symtoms. I truly wish you the best in resolving your headaches and hope this is of some help.
Been there, Sue

Old 10-22-2001, 05:44 AM   #10

dayna5 HB User
Unhappy

Hi,

Sure sounds to me like cluster headaches. Cluster headaches are a little different that migraines. Where migrains can be "cured" by lying down, cluster's can be brought on by sleep. Cluster, from what I have experienced, been told, and have read, are the most intense headaches there are. There have been known to actually drive people to end or want to end there life. It is scarey cuz they don't go away like migrains. They can stay for months or even years and than disappear just as fast as they come.

Ask your doctor about the cluster headaches. I don't usually post here but was browsing and your post caught my eye. Sounded like me years ago. And I am soooo sorry you are going through this. I can handle any migraine after the clusters. Please get help so you don't have to suffer anymore.

dayna
epilepsy (TLE)
owner of five kids, any takers???, just kidding
did have tubes tied...maybe a little too late, once again just kidding
Love to write, post, and answer anyone
Had Millions of MRI's, Cat scans, EMG, not pleasant, and cortizone epidural shots (three) hated them!!!!!
Love, ME

Old 04-16-2003, 06:10 AM   #11
(female)

shirley0922 HB User
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who suffers from headaches when lying down. I do have migraines, but a shot of Imitrex gets rid of them in 15 minutes. The other headaches I have been getting for over 10 years now. I usually wake up about 3:00 a.m. with a terrible pain at the back of my head. I can't lay on the pillow, because it hurts so much. I take two aspirin free Excedrin and it goes away. Several years ago I started taking the pills before going to bed and that stopped the headaches from coming. As soon as I stopped taking them the headaches were back. I went to four different doctors and told them about them and all they said was keep taking the Excedrin. Good luck. I can sympathize.
Shirley

Old 09-02-2003, 08:56 PM   #12

gamemaster442 HB User
i have headaches only when i lay down. ihave to sleep siting up. the pain is from so so to i cant think and have to pace.i can lay and watch a movie an hour or so and get one. i wake up with what feels like a hangover all the time..any ideas?????????

Closed Thread