It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #1

1of millions HB User
Unhappy Dull ache Sharp pain and Heat/pressure Feeling

I have been searching the web now that i have a computer to try and investigate my problem as my doctor does not seem to know what is causing my head aches/pain. They are not regular headaches,the pain can be described as stabbing,dull ache and a heat/ pressure feeling always on the left side. The stabbing pains are in the top of my head and at times it feels like a vice has been placed around my head and is tightening. I have had this complaint for four years now and it just came on following a typical head cold. All the other symptoms of the cold went but the head pains remained.
To date i have had numerous medications to try and kill the pain,these include Beta blockers,amitriptiline,zydol,imigran?,an d presently Neurotin together with meloxicam,and dihydrocodine which i have been advised to take with paracetemol.
I sometimes associate the pain with a stiff neck but not always. I have paid for physio,deep tissue sports massage,and am now investigating food intollerence.
I was referred to a neurologist early on at my request,he did various feather tests and basic pressure tests but said there was nothing wrong with me that he could see. He gave me the option to have a scan but said the massive dose of radiation could cause me a problem in later years and he thought it was not necessary. That said i was frightened and opted not to have a scan.
My saga continues and reading these messages it seems i truly am 1 of millions. Does anyone have any ideas as to what causes these headpains?. Is it trpped nerves,tight muscles,tension. I exercise regularly which does assist in the short term.I have heard all sorts of theorys but there must be an answer. I am a young man and would hate to think i have to put up with these pains for the rest of my life. Can anyone help?.
Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #2

susieq03 HB User
I read your post, and think maybe you have ptc(pseudo-cerebri)It is where you have too much spinal fluid around your brain, which causes pain and pressure. I was treated for years for what the dr said was migrains, only to find out I had ptc. I suggest you go to an opti-neurologist. Alot of neurologist don't really know much about this disease, because it is fairly rare. Usually it can be controlled with medicine, but like me, I still got bad headaches after a year on meds, so they put a shunt in, to relieve the pressure. Please don't give up! PTC can rob you of your vision and the only real way to know if you have this, is for the dr. to do a spinal tap, to read your pressure. I wish you luck, and try to find a good dr, that will listen to you. Insist on having a spinal to rule out ptc. God bless,susan from Iowa

Old 08-28-2003, 07:59 AM   #3

1of millions HB User
Susan,
many thanks for your response and for taking the time to read. I will continue to do my own research aswell. I have not had any vision problems to date other than a slight glazing of the eye when the pain is at its worst. Would i have to have vision problems for the problem you recognise?.

Thanks again.
Sean

Old 09-03-2003, 08:19 AM   #4

susieq03 HB User
Dear Sean, No you don't have to have papiledema(optic swelling) to have pseudotumor. Many dr's will insist that you have to have papiledema to be diagnosed with ptc, but like me, have no vision problems, but have high pressure around my brain.I belong to a support group,msn, that you can find out alot of info about ptc. Hope this helps, and am so glad that you aren't giving up and doing your homework. Too many people never question their dr's. The more one looks into what might be causing problems, the better. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, and I will be happy to answer them. Take care. SusieQ

Old 09-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
(female)

prendi HB User
Red face

i too have pressure on the right my dr says it is tension

Last edited by prendi; 11-27-2003 at 03:09 PM.

Old 09-03-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
(female)

prendi HB User
i am on amitryptiline syrup but when the feeling comes over me i go all weak and shaky.ifeel i cant concentrate, and my eye stats to go red and watery on the same side.any ideas

Old 09-17-2003, 11:07 AM   #7

1of millions HB User
THANKS FOR REPLIES/QUERIES. I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN TO A QUALIFIED CHINESE DOCTOR FOR ACCUPUNTURE AND AM CURRENTLY OFF WORK TO TRY AND FIND A MECHANISM OF CONTROLING PAIN . TODAY WAS THE THIRD VISIT, I ALSO HAVE CHINESE HERBS GIVEN TO ME BY THE CHINESE DOCTOR.
SO FAR I HAVE TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST AND SAY THAT I HAVE HAD A REDUCTION IN PAIN. I HAVE FURTHER VISITS ON A ONCE AWEEK BASIS AND IT DOES SEEM TO HELP. I FEEL THIS TIME THE ACCUPUNTURE IS BEING PERFORMED TO A MUCH HIGHER STANDARD BY SOMEONE WHO IS HIGHLY QUALIFIED IN EASTERN MEDICINE. I AM NOW ALSO GETTING SOME DEEP MASSAGE FROM ANOTHER THERAPIST AND A DIFFERENT TECHNIQUE IS BEEN APPLID TO LOOSEN UP TENSE MUSCLES WHICH COULD VERY WELL BE PRESSING ON NEARVES CAUSING PAIN. IWILL AHVE TO SEE HOW IT GOES I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED. I AM CONTINUING WITH NEUROTIN AS PRESCRIBED. I HAVE BEEN INFORMED MANY PEOPLE SUFFER PAIN WHICH COULD EASILY BE TIGHT MUSCLES AND RESTRICTED BLOOD FLOW/IMPINGED NEARVES. I WILL CONTINUE I WILL FIND THE ANSWER AND LET YOU KNOW.

Closed Thread