It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2002, 08:46 AM   #1

murray1987 HB User
Question BC Powder addiction

I take BC Powder everyday. My headaches are mild, but they are there. I blame them on too much or too little sleep, stress and allergies. Nothing else is wrong with me. Can taking BC's everyday damage my body?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Be aware that taking any pain killer routinely for headaches may cause rebound headaches. Since I am not sure of the ingredients in BC powder it is hard to say if it will cause permenant damage to your body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2002, 06:57 AM   #3

sexyh HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by murray1987:
I take BC Powder everyday. My headaches are mild, but they are there. I blame them on too much or too little sleep, stress and allergies. Nothing else is wrong with me. Can taking BC's everyday damage my body?
i use to take bc's everytime i had an headache after ive taking them for so long, it seems like they had start going against me they had start my stomach to hurt everytime i take one, so i switch to advil, my mother always tells me that its not good at all to be taking all of these different kind of drugs there not good for us.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:15 AM   #4

Niki Whitehead HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by murray1987:
I took BC powder for years about 8 to be exact, it was the only thing that took away my daily headaches. about 2 or 3 years ago I went to the doctor because I started having stomach pain to my suprise my stomach had been bleeding I pretty much had no blood in my body and was rushed strait to the hospital for a 3 pint blood transfusion I was terrified! I still get headaches, some migraines this past year I have taken about 3 BC powders for emergencies only! To my suprise though, when I stopped taking BC powder on a dailey basis my headaches were less frequent. GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-22-2003, 04:31 PM   #5

dailypainlady HB User
I just have a question...a dumb question. What in the world is BC powder?!! I was thinking..hmm..BC..?? Birth Control..powder??!! What?? That couldn't be it! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by dailypainlady (edited 09-22-2003).]

Old 09-22-2003, 11:18 PM   #6

murray1987 HB User
Talking

A powder form of aspirin. It works faster than tablets. It's very popular in the Southeast US

Old 09-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #7

PamelaC HB User
I too depend on bc powder, I love it because I have a very hard time swallowing pills, and yes, it seems to work faster, I sometimes take up to 2 or 3 a day...but usually only take them when I have a bad migraine, so far I have had no bad effects from them...just seems like sometimes its all that will clear up the pain, just wish I would find something to clear up the foggy feeling...
Pamela

Old 09-25-2003, 03:25 AM   #8

murray1987 HB User
Wink

I tried the new Excedrin Quicktabs that dissolve in your mouth, and it has helped me get off BC powder. It works so fast amd it's not aspirin so it's not as bad on the stomach.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:47 AM   #9

monifa HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray1987
I know this is very late but iam a newbie, anyway my grandmother has up until last year taken bc powder for years for her migranes and it has eaten away at her stomach and throat. she has also had some blood problems,she is still in and out of the hospital because of this. I hope by now you do not take them anymore,trust me it's not worth it.

Old 11-06-2003, 07:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
BC is a powder headache medicine with caffeine, acetaminophen and aspirin. I used to swear by those powders. I developed an ulcer this year so now I stay away from all NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. Be careful taking them every day because they can lead to stomach problems and your tolerance may build up requiring a heavier dosage. Also you can get rebound headaches which is an addiction that can be hard to break. I have a neighbor that is a nurse that used to work in the ER and she said that she has seen too many cases of people coming in with stomach bleeding due and sometimes death due to BC powders. And never combine alcohol while taking them because that will greatly increase your chances of developing major stomach problems!

Old 11-07-2003, 05:48 AM   #11

sleeptweedledee HB User
I sure hope I dont scare anyone here but since we are concerned about BC powders than I will go ahead. As I was also very addicted to these sometimes up to twice a day and know that when my grampa died of a heart attack years ago they did an autopsy on him and he was a daily BC powder addict they said he had multiple holes in his stomach but of coarse that did not cause the heart attack. I was hard headed and it didnt scare me until I ended up in the emergency room with massive sinus infections. Until this day I have every day migraines or sinus migraines and sinus infections that will not clear up. It has been two years I guess since takeing these but they are sure a quick fix but I found I took them for everything including anxiety, dunno sounds crazy right but I was addicted to them.
I hope you can find some alternative, they are bad for your health.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #12

jnoelle HB User
Re: BC Powder addiction

I am a 26 year old RN, and I am addicted to BC Powders, I have been taking them since I was 16, they seem to be the only thing that works for me when I have a really bad headache, I used to take them maybe twice a week, but now I take up to four a day, I can go though a box of 50 in less than two weeks sometimes, there was even a few days when I took over six, and thought my heart was going to pop right out of my chest, I know they are bad, but I dont know what to do, when I try and not take them I am grumpy, and mean, I dont know what to do, HELP!!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:06 PM   #13

stacey01 HB User
Re: BC Powder addiction

i dont take BC, but i do LOVE my aspirin for headaches and stuff, it works fast .... but you guys on BC should be very careful on how you take it , aspirin as well as some other NSAIDS(like ibuprofen) are blood thinners and cause ulceration of the stomach and thus the bleeding stories... i would try and get off of those and try tylenol or naproxen(advil), they are a little less harsh and work just as well, maybe not as fast. If you should ever be involved in some kind of trauma, the effects of the aspirin on ur blood will complicate matters when the MD's are trying to help/save you. Just one negative aspect to think about .... Love the aspirin but id definitely monitor how much i took good luck

Last edited by stacey01; 09-14-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Closed Thread