It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 08:13 PM   #1

dflur HB User
Post pain in temple area

I periodically have extremely sharp almost debilitating pain in my temple. This comes on suddenly and severely and usually lasts less than a minute. It only happens about twice a year(and has happened for about ten years), but it is so severe it scares me. It may be only in my right side of my head(it is in the area of my temple, but I am not sure it is precisely that spot). Anyone experienced something like this?

David

------------------
David

Old 06-01-2003, 12:45 AM   #2

blankaflower HB User
Talking

hi!! i am a migraine sufferer but a few years ago i used to get cluster headaches,and what you are describing sounds like they could be just that,let me ask you this,does your eye on the side of your headache get red and watery does your nose run??do they wake you from your sleep?look those headaches are the most terrible.and they are scary as well ,you should check with your dr and try to find the cause,,,,blanka

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 04:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi David....
Yes, I've experienced the exact same thing. For years! A sudden, sharp, lacinating pain in my temple...disappears in about a minute.

Like you, it doesn't happen more than two or three times a year. Very infrequent, to say the least. But scary, because the temple area seems so fragile, and because veins are so close to the surface in that area, we get alarmed, thinking some blood vessel is going to burst or something!

No other symptoms.

My best friend has had this happen.
A work collegue has had this also.
My uncle had it just the other day.
Oh yeah and my sisters, over the years have had it happen as well.

It's a muscle spasm.

And as long as it's transient and accompanied by no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry at all.

And don't forget the rule of thumb in medicine: Signs of serious illness do not "come and go" over years, without change, or without other symptoms eventually accompanying them!

zuzu xxx

Old 10-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #4

h121shalz HB User
I have the same pain at my temple. It's happened before earlier this year, but it was only sharp striking pains that only lasted a few seconds. Those would hurt alot that i would have to close my eyes and concentrate, and wait till the pain was gone i suppose. However, i think until maybe a few months ago, the same pains came back at my right temple, and the pain was there for the whole day, it went away in the morning without me taking medication. Yesterday i had the same pain, it lasted the whole day, and i took advil and it helped. Now today, i woke up with the same pain, ive taken about 6 advils today which has been helping, i took the last two about an hour ago, and its still hurting. Please give me some advice ? My doctor says its tension headaches, but i would like maybe a second opinion.

Shalz

Old 10-20-2003, 06:42 PM   #5

cstiffey2003 HB User
i get pains like that but mine are in the left side of my head and i get them at least three times a week.i went to the dr. and he said it was something called ice pick headaches the cause is unknown but it is harmless. so i really dont think you need to worry about it. but if it is scaring you go to a dr.

------------------
christina

Closed Thread