It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

debbbielpn HB User
how to break the cycle of intractable migraines

Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
(female)

teri48 HB User
Re: how to break the cycle of intractable migraines

Not to sound stupid, but, what are "intractable" migraines? My 15 yr old daughter has suffered w/migraines since she was 3. But lately she's having 1-3 a WEEK! she's missing a lot of school. We don't have any insurance, but I would take her to a dr if I knew what kind we should see. Or if anyone has any advice???? It's heartbreaking to watch her throwing up all the time and crying. We only get narcotics when we go to Urgent Care.....Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbbielpn View Post
When I have that kind of migrane my nerologist puts me on home health care, with infusion therapy. So far it has worked everytime.

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

BSBGeezerFan HB User

I don't know. My son, now 21, has had an intractable migraine (I mean it is unresponsive to just about anything thrown at it, except some triptans which caused heart arrythmias (spelling, sorry) and Topamax which reduced it to a level 4 but nearly took out a kidney. The narcotics do nothing and neither do the NSAIDS nor the anti-depressants to a great degree.

The only thing that keeps him sane is when it gets too bad he takes 3 Benadryl and knocks himself out.

We are now at a major medical center pain clinic and all they can do is do trial and error drugs. I pray that since it seemed to start at his first real puberty growth spurt, that once he cycles out of puberty it may go away or diminish in intensity.

I've always taken him to a neurologist although I have been trying to get him to try accupuncture, masssage, chiropractic or maybe accupressure with little success.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
(female)

worstmigraines HB User

When I have experienced intractable migraines which has been about 4 times now and I am 42 is my very first migraine, after the birth of my first child, after taking Maxalt, and when my migraines changed to include deficeits on my right side. The best advise I can give is to get the pain under control, decrease stress levels, find a place within the persons' self to focus on allowing the pain medication to work, and lots of rest. It may take a combination of medications for example, pain, anxiety, nausea and vomiting. Once the intractable migraine is resolved, the migraines generally continue and that is where and when to maintain a preventative and pain control situation. You all have my utmost sympathy, I been there and it is worse than hell. (Sorry for the language, but its the truth.) Also, another note, not all pain medicines work well for aborting migraines, Fiornal no. 3 has worked well for me without the rebound headaches associated with the stronger meds such as morphine, etc. Don't give up! Pray, meditate, and fight to feel better...you know the mind over matter thing. Also, communicate with your doctors, get and give all the information you can, ask lots of questions about your concerns, why isn't this resolved, etc. and don't take "I don't know" for an answer. Sometimes, we have to be rather diligent with some doctors to get the problem resolved. I always say utilize every tool you can. Everyone is different and what works for me might not work for another person with migraines.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
(female)

worstmigraines HB User

Just wanted to add, I have had a hard time too with migraines with severe side effects. If he can find a pain med to work himself out of this intractable migraine, then he will proably only have to deal with them every so often. The other techniques, massage therapy, accupuncture, the manilpulation technicues to me just seem to aggravate an intractable migraine. Good luck to you and god bless

Closed Thread