It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

Donnajeanlee HB User
Unhappy Stomach Migraines In Adults

My 23 year old daughter has suffered from migraine headaches for 10-11 years. In 1997 she was diagnoised with "stomach migraines" after been sick for one week (vomiting uncontrollabily) . the Neurologist then diagnosed her with the stomach migraines. She told her the pain would eventually go either to the head or she would grow out of it. It went to her head, and now she does get migraine headaches. Starting in 2004, she again started with the vomiting ( for a minimum of one week) and the doctors hydrate her and send her home. She cannot keep anything down, then as quickly as they come on, after one week she starts feeling better. I do know there has been times when she has drank "coolers" 1-2 and then the vomiting. But then there times when she drinks her 2-3 coolers and nothing. Does anyone else have this problem? She does take Zomig for her migraines only when one comes on, but other than that she needs nothing. HELP! Anyone with suggestions?

thanks
Concern Mom

Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

pamg6 HB User
Re: Stomach Migraines In Adults

I am no doc, but I am wondering if she should get on a migraine preventative. Since most of our seratonin is in the gut, it would make sense to get her seratonin levels up to help the vomiting stuff. I have had maybe two episodes of stomach migraines. I started vomiting for no reason...the stomach flu wasn't going around...had eaten what others ate and they weren't sick, so I have since concluded that it was stomach migraine. I also have Migraine Syndrome, or non-headache migraines. I have been on a migraine preventatve for several months and have improved greatly. Anyway I hope this helps.

Pam 3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
(female)

nchantng HB User
Re: Stomach Migraines In Adults

Hi Concern Mom -

I'm sorry to hear about your daughters troubles. It sounds miserable. I have had migranes for years - and like everyone else who suffers this curse - there are some medcines that I respond to and some that are useless to me. It shows how individual migraines really are.

Here are some suggestions for you both. Have her keep a diary of symptoms - even if on one day she has no symptoms, write that down. Write everything down - eventually a pattern often emerges, sometimes its a food or alcohol trigger, sometimes stress, sometimes hormonal changes (end of/ beginning of the menstrual cycle. Knowing the connections is a huge help - it does not mean that you can always eliminate the problem, but it certainly makes treating it easier. For example, follwoing the pattern of my headaches over the years I know this: they are mostly hormonally triggered, occasionally red wine or stress, and that my eyesight is just a little blurry the day or so before. With this knowledge I can often nip one of these episodes in the bud rather than suffer for several days.

There are many, many medications that can help - if nausea is the main problem, Phenergan or Compazine often work a charm. They are available in pill or rectal suppository form. I use liquid phenergan, just a little and hold it in my mouth and swallow it really slow. ANything else would come right back up. Staying hydrated is a challenge with nausea, but with phenergan on board, I can tolerate gatorade or something similar. Drinks with caffiene help the headache part. Sometimes Doctors treat the headache part with drugs like Zomig or Topamax but don't address the nausea. Thats the worst part, and its really easily treated.

I wish you and your daughter luck, please let me know if I can help you in any way

Closed Thread