It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
(male)

Frodoh HB User
Ibuprofen is killing my stomach

Hi headache sufferers

Hope everybody is headache free today

I was wondering if anybody has a list of over the counter headache medicines that don't cause stomach problems.

I have been taking Advil but they give me bad heartburn.

Thanks for any info!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
(female)

Abbygal HB User
Re: Ibuprofen is killing my stomach

Both Advil and Ibuprofen are anti inflamatories which can affect our stomach's greatly. Try switching to Tylenol...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
(male)

Mystical HB User

I agree with the previous post, Tylenol is the way to go if you have stomach problems. I used to take copious amounts of Advil until my stomach started acting up....the last time I took some I suffered the next day. Tylenol isn't great for the liver I'm sure, but it doesn't cause the same stomach issues that Advil does.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
(male)

Frodoh HB User

Appreciate the tips

I knew this at one point.

Also, how about Aleve? I think it also causes stomach problems too.

Feel good all

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

all nsaids (especially otc) can cause stomach upset. There is a product called ascriptin that i think has maalox in it. Maybe that will work for you. Sadly, I can no longer take any nsaid. One dose will screw up my stomach for a couple of days. Totally sucks for pain relief. I keep trying herbal products too. I have basically a full bottle of Zyflammend by new chapter that someone in a migraine support group recommended. That really flared up my hiatal hernia.

Really scared for when arthritis really sets in. Right now, i take either tylenol, darvocet and/or flexeril. I have imitrex nasal spray as an abortive (pills upset my stomach too )

Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
(female)

FairyBookWorm HB User

I'm on ibuprofen as paracetamol no longer had any effect on me (too many years taking it) and don't really have any other options despite it giving me really bad acid reflux and other stomach problems. My GP gave me Omeprazole which is a gastro-resistant and i find that it really helps - you should talk to yours. You just take one a bit beofre you intend to take ibuprofen and after a while (for existing damage to get better) it should help.

If not, try some good old fashioned codeine - just not if you intend to drive or you know, focus!

Closed Thread