It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

KarenHaston HB User
Unhappy Headache, migraine, chronic or what :-(

I found this great message board via google and have really felt alone until now....

I am grasping at straws to get something sorted out with my head problems which started on the 1st of December 07 when I was out shopping and I thought I was going to pass out with this feeling in my head, very intense and sort of watery electric feeling. Over the next few weeks what happened was short like electirc shocks on and of constanlty, not to painful but worrying and very sudden.

I have seen the GP on 13 occasions since December the 1st, ended up in A&E twice and seen a neurosurgeon at the beginning of Feb. The symptoms I get seem to be constant & daily, one sided (right side) and it pulses away constantly, the scale can vary from 1-10. The feeling never ever goes away and has been pres since December 1st. I can cope with the pain but I feel it causes me a great deal of worry that I have another problem. The pulsing when it goes up the scale say to 8 or 9, it is usually present at this for a long period of time, I feel a pressure feeling that makes me feel like un-zipping the side of my head to let it out, it has been 11 days now since the latest rise in pain and I am totally worn out and tired. The pulsing can be sharp and nippy, it seems to leave a 'shape' where the pulsing is and it really does get me down. The neurosurgeon recons I have migraines, I thought he was great with priceless information but I have never heard of a person have a constant migraine for 5 months without a break, as the time is passing I can't digest migraine and am at my wits end with it all. The GP's have totally fobbed me of with endless medication that makes me sick and I just don't know where to turn to. Sharing symptoms and stories does help, maybe you readers can explain more? Much in need of guidance and support,many thanks to all who have read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
(male)

Fresh J HB User
Re: Headache, migraine, chronic or what :-(

Your symptoms sound similar to mine which started about a year ago and got gradually worse and although mine have not gone away fully i have seen a marked improvement since.

I dont know if this will help but after reading your post it could have been me you were describing, at first i thought it was a ear infection but after seeing my GP and getting antibiotics it did not clear up. I then went back to him and was told it was probably wax in the ear and to get the ear syringed( i knew it wasnt as i had had them done about 8 months earlier). All the time the pain was getting worse and i was getting by on painkillers. Eventually i went to see the GP again who told me he was stumped and referred me to hospital (which was 2 months ago and still i have no appointment date) and he gave me nothing to help with the pain and i felt as though he had not listened to a word i said. I decided to go and see a different GP in the practice and after explaining the symptoms of pain all around my right ear, at the back of my head on the right side, bottom jaw hurting from time to time on right side and also in my neck below the right ear aswell as not being able to turn my neck to the right fully. The GP told me to take a de-congestant called Pseudoephedrine as there are 2 tubes in the area causing concern below the ear which can get blocked and result in pain and it would take 4 or 5 days till i noticed any improvement. This has helped a great deal and instead of maybe 4 or 5 days of being pain free in a month it is now maybe 4 or 5 days of pain a month which happens if i stop taking the medicine. And im still waiting for a hospital appointment. Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
(female)

susiefibro40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenHaston View Post
I found this great message board via google and have really felt alone until now....

I am grasping at straws to get something sorted out with my head problems which started on the 1st of December 07 when I was out shopping and I thought I was going to pass out with this feeling in my head, very intense and sort of watery electric feeling. Over the next few weeks what happened was short like electirc shocks on and of constanlty, not to painful but worrying and very sudden.

I have seen the GP on 13 occasions since December the 1st, ended up in A&E twice and seen a neurosurgeon at the beginning of Feb. The symptoms I get seem to be constant & daily, one sided (right side) and it pulses away constantly, the scale can vary from 1-10. The feeling never ever goes away and has been pres since December 1st. I can cope with the pain but I feel it causes me a great deal of worry that I have another problem. The pulsing when it goes up the scale say to 8 or 9, it is usually present at this for a long period of time, I feel a pressure feeling that makes me feel like un-zipping the side of my head to let it out, it has been 11 days now since the latest rise in pain and I am totally worn out and tired. The pulsing can be sharp and nippy, it seems to leave a 'shape' where the pulsing is and it really does get me down. The neurosurgeon recons I have migraines, I thought he was great with priceless information but I have never heard of a person have a constant migraine for 5 months without a break, as the time is passing I can't digest migraine and am at my wits end with it all. The GP's have totally fobbed me of with endless medication that makes me sick and I just don't know where to turn to. Sharing symptoms and stories does help, maybe you readers can explain more? Much in need of guidance and support,many thanks to all who have read this.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
(female)

KarenHaston HB User

Hi there, many thanks for the reply to my post, I only just got in form work, read up on what you had said and as soon as pos I was back out the door getting what you have been using, the pharmacist gave me one box only of twelve that will last 3 days, so I am going to give it a try, I will honestly try anything. It is really interesting how what doctors say can differ so much, in all the appointments I have had not one mentioned what your doctor said, it really does amaze me, but the body is a HUGE thing and so many things that have the same symptoms but can have a different diagnosis! It was reassuring to hear your story, it makes you feel better and worry less about what your thoughts are - the over active imagination which at times you can't help when you feel so bad and get not joy from medication. I will let you know how I am doing at the end of the week. Hope you are well and had a happy Monday!!! Regards, Karen :-)

Last edited by KarenHaston; 04-28-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: The reply was for Fresh J .....

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
(male)

Fresh J HB User

Hi Karen, the medication i got off the pharmacy came in the liquid form and i was to take two 5ml spoonfulls 3 times a day when required. That was on 18 march and i have just finished the bottle, i took it as prescribed for about 7 days and after day 2 i found it was helping a lot. I stopped taking it for about 10 days until i could feel the pain starting to come back and so started taking it for a few days and although the sensation of knowing that something is always there remained, the pain would ease away and i would stop taking the medicine until i could start to feel it coming again. The pharmacist told me when i went to pick up the new bottle that sometimes it affects the sleep pattern which it did but i found this a small price to pay, and if i wanted i could just take it twice one in the morning and one early evening. He said it is a very commonly used medicine in Liverpool and is mainly used for sinus problems. You are right about the worry and active imagination and reading that other people have the similar things going on. I will check back at the end of the week and see how you got on.

Last edited by Fresh J; 04-29-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: update

Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

KarenHaston HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh J View Post
Hi Karen, the medication i got off the pharmacy came in the liquid form and i was to take two 5ml spoonfulls 3 times a day when required. That was on 18 march and i have just finished the bottle, i took it as prescribed for about 7 days and after day 2 i found it was helping a lot. I stopped taking it for about 10 days until i could feel the pain starting to come back and so started taking it for a few days and although the sensation of knowing that something is always there remained, the pain would ease away and i would stop taking the medicine until i could start to feel it coming again. The pharmacist told me when i went to pick up the new bottle that sometimes it affects the sleep pattern which it did but i found this a small price to pay, and if i wanted i could just take it twice one in the morning and one early evening. He said it is a very commonly used medicine in Liverpool and is mainly used for sinus problems. You are right about the worry and active imagination and reading that other people have the similar things going on. I will check back at the end of the week and see how you got on.
Fresh J.....

Hello again :-) Many thanks for writing again, how kind. Your posting really has helped, many thanks for that! Do you think the tablet form is the same as the liquid form? The box says 4 times a day and no more, it is what you have 'Pseudoephedrine ' I went into Boots after work to get some more (!!!), they only ever sell you 12, no more. I am wondering if I should try the same as you or as I said the tablets, will they do the same??? Funny last night I never slept a wink, for once I was dying on the alarm going of, ha ha, that is a first! Will be back soon to read up, Karen

Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
(female)

mfd25wife HB User

I believe the tablets are the same. However, it seems like different forms require different amounts. I think some you only take once a day. Here, it is moitored very closely even though it is technically an over the counter medicine, but is kept behind the counter. It is an ingredient used in the manufacture of Chrystal Meth. You have to show your ID, they log it in and you can only buy a certain amount at a time and also in a month. Is it the same reasoning there?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

KarenHaston HB User

Many thanks for you reply to the message I added yesterday re liquid or tablet. I never managed to get to the chemists today to ask. They only do allow you to buy 12 at a time, the girl had said to me about legal restrictions. I'm not sure if t hey are helping or if I am at a 'dipping' point which happens after about 12 days of being at a peak point. It all gets very frustrating :-( I wish I was back to the old me again, I live in hope, Karen

For: mfd25wife, thanks

Last edited by KarenHaston; 04-30-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: For mfd25wife

Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
(male)

Fresh J HB User

Hope you are feeling a bit better and the tablets helped a little, i would go to your GP and try and get the liquid form as then you can take it as and when required and see if it makes any difference and it is not just your dipping point. So i was right about the effects on sleeping then lol, i thought i was becoming an insomniac.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
(female)

KarenHaston HB User

Fresh J

Many thanks for your reply, nice to hear from you. I am feeling good today,betterthan I have in a while. I am unsure to it being the tablets or if I am at what I call 'the dipping point!' But it does feel good to have a good day, and be almost normal! What I will do is see how many days this lasts till it changes, take the tablets still anyway (I wish it wouldnt!) and monior it. I am going to the doctors on Tuesday, I was just unsure what to say to him about it and what I have been taking - and how to ask for it when I don't have sinus problems - and how I stumbled on the post on the net - sure you know what I mean, what do you think?

As for the sleeping, I am wondering how I am still standing, I went to bed last night as half 1, was up at half 2 then awake and got up at half 6 and I'm of today!!! Funny eh.

Hope you have a good weekend and are well, will be back soon on here to have a wee look, Karen ;-)

Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
(female)

alicemsmile HB User
Post Re: Headache, migraine, chronic or what :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenHaston View Post
Fresh J.....

Hello again :-) Many thanks for writing again, how kind. Your posting really has helped, many thanks for that! Do you think the tablet form is the same as the liquid form? The box says 4 times a day and no more, it is what you have 'Pseudoephedrine ' I went into Boots after work to get some more (!!!), they only ever sell you 12, no more. I am wondering if I should try the same as you or as I said the tablets, will they do the same??? Funny last night I never slept a wink, for once I was dying on the alarm going of, ha ha, that is a first! Will be back soon to read up, Karen

I have chronic migraine headaches that don't seem to go away. I haven't tried Pseudoephedrine, but I have taken just about everything else. topomax, depakote and now Lyrica. Nothing seems to take the pain away.
I have never been in blogg before so I hope I am in the right spot. I have seen several neurolgists and they just don't seem to like to deal with someone who has chronic headaches. I get them 3 or 4 times a month which will last almost a week at a time. How do you cope?

Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
(female)

mfd25wife HB User

I feel for you. Mine go in cycles. I was in a 5-6 days/week cycle since Thanksgiving. I've had numerous tests over the last few yrs for migraines. For me, the weather changes get me as do flashing lights. Winter is especially rough. My neurologist says that if they can decrease migraines in a patient in half, it is considered successful. Have you had your thyroid checked. I am hypo. Mine atrophied. If my medicine is off, I get more headaches and they do go into migraines. I have increased water consumption like crazy. If I am the least bit dehydrated, I do get sick. I was told to rotate over the counter meds so that I don't take the same one more than 3 days/week to prevent rebound migraines/headaches. For me, I have to attack the migraines early, or they will be terrible. You may have said before and I'm sorry to ask again if so, but have you tried Imitrex injections or Maxalt MLT to stop them once they start? One Dr. also mentioned magnesium may help. As for Depakote, I didn't have much luck with it, but did have more with Verapamil. I hope you get relief soon.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
(female)

KarenHaston HB User
Smile Re: Headache, migraine, chronic or what :-(

Sat 10th May...

Many thanks for all who have added to my post, the postings have all been great and helped a lot, in a way that you see what others are going through, what medication given, the relief you all get and don't get etc, it so varies and that is what makes it interesting

Update - I went back to the Doctors on Tuesday to discuss this on-going problem. The Doctor who I seen was the one I originally seen when I first started to get this head feeling in December 07 (!) What then happened, he broke his leg and was of work for 4 1/2 months! My 1st app with him was very good, then over the last 4 months I have been given so many different meds, betta blockers, epilim and others, none that have helped. The Doctor returned to work only last week and I managed to see him. He was suprised that 5 months on I was still in the same place, he done many neurological tests, all seemed fine. I gave my ongoing concerns to him, how the severe pulsing has been pres for over 5 months, day in day out, nothing helps. He then said he would refer me for a MRI scan, he did add that he thought it would be clear (as I have no other symtoms) but it would rule out anything sinister and give me peace of mind. I was relieved to hear he was willing to refer me - at last.

He said in the mean time he wanted me to go back on a 10mg tablet of Amitriptyline, one at night, he said that this helps with a lot of neurological problems and he would see me again in 4 weeks time.

I am at a dip this week, my scale from 1-10 is currently at 3, so it has been a better week. The way this normally works is 7-10 days at a low and allmost always followed by 20 days of 7-10 (scale) I will get back here and post.

Many thanks again to all of you who have read and added your experiences, very much appreciated. Karen

Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #14
(female)

alicemsmile HB User

I have never tried verapamil. Right now I take the Imitix injections, if that doesn't help then I move on to Lortab, then Demeral. I just worry about taking such strong medicine.
I will ask my dr. about the verapamil.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
(female)

Aenanna HB User

You are basically taking a form of sudafed (sp) that is drying out your sinuses. I suffer from migraines and also have severe sinus pressure from december to march or april, depending on the santa ana winds (I'm in southern cali and weather is a huge migraine trigger) and i finally started taking sudafed tablets to help with daily pressure.

Try going to an ear, nose and throat doctor and he will be of more help than a GP, if it is truly something to do with your sinuses that started the pressure and pain. A lot of migraines can be caused by sinus issues and migraines can cause a lot of sinus issues. Also issues with your jaw and/or teeth can cause constant headaches and migraines so that is another avenue, if you haven't already tried it.

Hope this helps some.

Kerry

BTW: sudafed will cause you to stay awake so that is why you are having issues sleeping

Last edited by Aenanna; 05-13-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: add more information

Closed Thread