It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

anita41 HB User
Unhappy what does it take to be free of headaches

hi all you headache sufferers dont we all wish that when we wake up we are free from headaches to be able to have fun with the family i have suffered headaches for 13 years on and off i take 4 to 8 anadins every day just to get about half an hour pain free i am waiting to have physio on my neck been to chrio pratise seen dr but now im getting to think i have to live with this pain anyone got any good advice like neck exercises of miricle pills thanks anita

Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User
Re: what does it take to be free of headaches

Ask your doctor for a trial of a tricyclic antidepressant, in a low dose at bedtime.

Prothiaden, 25mg at night for 2 nights, then 50mg at night is a good choice.

For releiving the accute headache, you would probably find somthing stronger than Anadin in the pharmacy.... Solpadeine Max, Nurofen Plus, or Syndol would all be worth a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

anita41 HB User

thank you for replying i have tried most pills from the chemist but nothing seems to work apart from the anadins but i think its just something stuck in my head telling me that only the anadins will give me a little break from the headaches i have not heard of the other bedtime pill you tolded me about i have been to the drs he said carry on taking the anadins and wrote to the hospital to book me in for physio but im on the waiting list now for 5 weeks

Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

mydogsandme HB User

please be careful about taking so many Anadins. I know it's tempting but it's really not good to take them every day.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

anita41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogsandme View Post
please be careful about taking so many Anadins. I know it's tempting but it's really not good to take them every day.
thank you for your concern i know its not good for me i take 2 every morning without fail coz i wake up with such a bad headache then about another 4 throughout the day i remember reading it can cause internal bleeding but while it takes my headaches away for a short while i feel a bit happier

Old 05-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Ask your doctor about Prothiaden or amitriptyline.... they are old antidepressants, but have been found to have the side effect of improving chronic headaches.

They are cheap, non habit forming, and can be highly effective. Ask your doctor if you can try them for a month.

Start off with 25mg at night, then move upto 50mg at night. Some people need more, but most will do well on 50mg.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Drugs will never cure or fix your headaches, they only suppress them and at the same time they are adding chemicals to your body that your tissues store and jeopardize your immune system. Try a chiropractor, accupunture or a lifestyle change. For me, I can cure a headache by unhaling peppermint essential oil deeply for a minute. Usually it is gone immediately.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Are you sure peppermint oil doesnt only suppress them, get built up in your body and poision your immune system?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Peppermint is from the earth and natural whereas drugs are manufactured chemicals that are essentially a toxin that only gives a quick fix without solving the problem and had many side effects either immediate or long term. A wide range of things can cause headaches from vitamin deficiencies, stress. Peppermint oil contains numerous minerals and nutrients including manganese, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, and copper. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. The medicinal use of this dates back to at least ancient Greece. Our bodies are not meant for these chemicals, it doesn't process them well and therefore stores them in the tissue. Tisse is made up of cells and cancer begin in the cells......Turning to alternatives are better long term. Research peppermint or other alternatives for headaches.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

I take your point, but arsenic, morphine, cyanide and tobacco are all natural.

Also, aspirin is derived from the barc of the wilow tree.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

A patent cannot be placed on nature, therefore any natural substance in a drug is changed from it's natural form and is "derived" from something of nature, but after that point it is no longer natural. You are getting something that is not real anymore and many chemicals are then added for whatever drugging effect they are trying to achieve.

As for cyanide, yes it can be naturally occuring in some bug that use it to repel, or in fruits and vegetables or plants. Cyanide can be changed and is used in drugs and manufacturing where it is no longer a natural occuring chemical, but changed from it's natural form.

I am not sure if you are trying to challenge me or if you are just having a freindly discussion.......anyways my point is to point out the dangers of drugs and to help people realize that there are natural ways of healing that they could try before resorting to something that isn't as healthy.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Just a friendly discussion!

I agree that we rely too much on pills, but i also think some people think "natural" means "harmless" which I am sure you know, isnt so

cheers

J

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, freindly is good, sometimes it is difficult to tell online. I used to be like everyone else until I read something one day and I never sopped reading a learning and I am making alternative medicine my life. I enjoy trying to help others see that drugs are not a first choice or an only option.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #14
(female)

momXseven HB User

You know I had 24/7 headaches for years and never could get rid of them, pain/migraine meds didn't work. Than I found out I had Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), got rid of all the cleaners, fabric softener, air fresheners, etc and the headaches decreased a lot. I'm not headache free most of the time now. So if you haven't looked into MCS google it and see if your headaches could be from what your breathing everyday, I know I heard about MCS over a year ago but at the time I thought there was NO WAY I had that, I sure wish I had talked to my Dr about it way back than.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
(male)

Oscar1954 HB User

Anyone ever here or suffer from Cluster Headaches?
Cluster Headaches: My Pain is on the left side above the eye, the size of a silver dollar. It lasts for 60 to 75 minís, like someone stuck a knife in and is turning it for that amount of time. The onset my left eye starts blinking which means I got about 5 minís to get off the road! During and when itís over my left eye goes red! Canít stop moving during the headache to much pain. Iím now 53, seams I get them every 3-4 years from age 19 and when they come I get them 2-5 times a day, for 3-5 moís then they go away again for years. No oneís ever been able to tell me where/why/how or what causes them. Before I found Imitrex, they had me on some heavy duty pain-needles that never helped, what I use to do is boil my head over boiling water for 1 hour till it went away! Most insurance companies will only pay for 1 shot a day (Was $60-$90/each) So whenever I get them I stock up on the shots, problem most of them expire before I get them again.

Yes Cluster Headaches is what I suffer from, the only thing that works for me is Imitrex Injectionís.
I got/had tonís of Oxycodone, 5,10,15,20 & 40ís but that takes too long to get in and only works for my back and shoulder pain!
Also tried morphine and Demerol and every drug that was ever on the market for headaches but nothing works like Imitrex a gift from the gods!
Once I take the shot, I feel a little light headed but the headache is gone in 5 minís. I can handle a little light head! But I canít tell you how many times I wanted to die!

Closed Thread