It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
(male)

ronin27 HB User
Headache and feeling lightheaded

Hi,

I'm having this lightheaded feeling since last year. It gets worse in the afternoon. There are instances while i'm walking that my balance get's disturb. I feel that i'm gonna fall but it doesn't happen. I just pause for a moment, slowly walk and continue walking. I also have a tendency to walk near a wall maybe because i'm afraid i'm gonna fall down.

I am consulting with my neuro. Here's my medical history:

Nov 2006
I had a stiff neck, left side. I'm not sure if this is related but i'll mention it as well.

Other symptoms:
I can hear a cracking sound at the left back side of the neck (sound similar when you slide your hand on your hair near the back of the neck)
I hear this sometimes when i move my neck. Sometimes i don't hear it.
This is still here even up to the time of writing this thead so i'm not mentioning it.

Feb 2007
I started noticing lightheadedness feeling with the balance problem.
The balance problem happens when i'm walking. When i'm sitting it feels like normal.

Other symptoms:
1. tinnitus (both ears but i usually hear from the right side)
The intensity is tolerable. I can only hear it when the environment is very quiet.
2. headache (none in the morning but it appears in the afternoon)

March - May 2007
Had a consultation with the ENT doctor. I had hearing test and ABR (Auditory Brainstem Response). Both were normal.
This ruled out Acoustic Neuroma. The doctor gave me vertilate for a week.
The medicine didn't help, i had the same symptoms.

Lightheaded and headache is worse in the afternoon. In a scale from 1-10 (10 being the worst headache) i have 4 accompanied by lightheadness.
Headache seems to disappear when i take a long walk in the malls.

June - July 2007
Same symptoms.

Tinnitus is still there. No change in intensity.

August 2007
I consulted a neurologist.
The following examination were done:
1. Knee jerk -- normal
2. Eye response -- normal
3. Blood pressure -- 120/80
4. Others
No feeling of numbness in the face.
No tingling.
No hearing loss.
5. CT scan -- normal.
The CT scan was a relief. This ruled out tumor and life threatening problems.

The doctor gave me piracetam for a week. It increases the blood flow and helps cognition. The doctor said that this could be a blood flow problem.

I think the medecine helped to some extent. But i'm still feeling the same symptoms. But less lightheaded this time.

September - October 2007
I'm taking no medecines.
Same symptoms. I think i was used to the lightheadedness. >_<

November 2007
Same symptoms. Less lightheaded (or was i used to being lightheaded already?)

December 2007 - January 2008
I feel no more lightheadedness. I can now walk without worrying i would fall. For the headache, i think it's gone, or it's already dull.

February 2008
The same feeling as of January 2008.

March 2008
I think the lightheaded feeling increased a little. When walking there are times my balance is disturb. I'm having headaches in the afternoon. The same intensity of the headache.

The same symptoms like before is going back.

April - May 2008
The symptoms are back. Balance is disturb when walking.

I had stiff neck at the left side. The same side like before.
The cracking sound symptoms is still there.

June 2008 - July 2008
I went back to the neuro.
The doctor said that i have tension headaches. I was told that there's no need to repeat the CT scan. The doctor suspected nerve compression.

When walking sometimes my balance is disturb again. I have the same symptoms i felt before.
The headache seems to worsen the lightheadedness when walking. And now when standing up i feel lightheaded when this headache is present.

The doctor gave me a muscle relaxant with paracetamol. Help a little but didn't take away the lighheaded feeling.

Other symptoms:
1. tingling at the top of the fingers and toe (i also feel weakness near my elbow and near the knees)
Right now the tingling in hands is no more. On my feet i feel a little tingling (like electricity).

I went to the ortho to see if this is a neck muscle problem.

Test conducted:
1. Spinal (near the neck) xray -- normal
2. EMG/NCV (hands and neck) -- normal
There's no nerve compression, or pinched nerve.

The doctor said the cracking sound i hear a muscle problem. I had PT but didn't help. Seems to worsen my lightheadedness. Tension headache is not worse anymore.

Same symptoms as before on lightheadedness, tinnitus.

Now i'm giving up. I don't know how to manage this lightheadedness.
I'm afraid to walk a long distance now because of this lightheadedness.
I need help i don't want to be like this anymore.

Last edited by ronin27; 07-25-2008 at 09:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
(female)

susu2007 HB User
Re: Headache and feeling lightheaded

Hi Ronin,

I am sorry you are feeling bad. It is highly possible that you have a problem with your neck muscles which could be the cause behind the headaches and the lightheadedness. I have had similar symptoms and I found that physiotherapy helped me a lot. It is worth looking into it.

I hope you feel much better soon,..

Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

one thing i didn't see in your log... have you had your eyes checked recently? Just the mention of afternoon headaches... do you work in front of a computer? could ergonomics be a issue? I think mine is finally gone.. for a few weeks my neck would be fine in the morning, and it would hurt in the afternoon (i would lose some range of motion). Through chiropractic and massage i think that is worked out.

Another thing that i thought of.. have you ever kept a food diary? since most of your issues are in the afternoon (assuming after lunch and not skipping), i wondered if any of this could be food related or possible allergy?

good luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
(male)

ronin27 HB User

Hi thank you for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolysods View Post
one thing i didn't see in your log... have you had your eyes checked recently? Just the mention of afternoon headaches... do you work in front of a computer? could ergonomics be a issue? I think mine is finally gone.. for a few weeks my neck would be fine in the morning, and it would hurt in the afternoon (i would lose some range of motion). Through chiropractic and massage i think that is worked out.

Another thing that i thought of.. have you ever kept a food diary? since most of your issues are in the afternoon (assuming after lunch and not skipping), i wondered if any of this could be food related or possible allergy?

good luck!
Yes i went to the optha. I'm wearing glasses btw. I have no problems with the grade and my eyes. I have no migraine as the doctor mentioned.

Yes i'm in front of the computer most of the time. I also had PT for 2 weeks. But it didn't help.

I am not allergic to any food so we can rule this out. I consulted a neuro and she said that headache is a tension headache. It's been going on for sometime now. She gave me a muscle relaxant and it helped me but i felt drowsy. Right now the tension headache is still here.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

muscle relaxers are hard to go to work while taking. I can take flexeril late in the afternoon but not before i go to bed.

If it is tension/stress, you need to do something to remove the stress or alleviate it..yoga, pilates (although yoga maybe hard when your balance is off). How well do you sleep at night? is it a good recuperative (sp?) sleep?

I'm out of thoughts ..

good luck

Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
(male)

ronin27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolysods View Post
muscle relaxers are hard to go to work while taking. I can take flexeril late in the afternoon but not before i go to bed.

If it is tension/stress, you need to do something to remove the stress or alleviate it..yoga, pilates (although yoga maybe hard when your balance is off). How well do you sleep at night? is it a good recuperative (sp?) sleep?

I'm out of thoughts ..

good luck
Hmm i think i had difficulty in sleeping for 2 weeks. Now my sleep is normal.
Well the headache is not worst anymore.
What i worry is the dizzy feeling, specially after office its worst but i can still manage to walk a distance. The neuro said that this is an inner ear disease.
How do i manage the dizziness?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

did he say it was Meniere's Disease? there is a inner ear disorder board within healthboards. Have you read anything on there?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
(female)

Laura3939 HB User

Ronin27, did you ever find out what was wrong with you? I have similar symptoms and have confused every doctor I have been to.

Closed Thread