It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

LLiv HB User
Unhappy Chronic daily headaches

I have experienced migraines headaches and daily headaches for about eight years now. I recently went into the hospital to be treated with IV DHE which broke the cycle of my excedrin use (I took approx 2 excedrin a day for about 6 years). I still continue to have daily headaches which I treat with ibuprofen, muscle relaxers, and maxalt during a full blown migraine. I have been on every prophilactic drug there is and none of them seem to work or work for approx. 2 weeks then the headaches come back. My headaches are so debilitating that I only work part time now. Yes, I have had MRI's and they come back negative (thank God) I think my neurologist is about to give up on me which is very frustrating. He thinks my next step is botox which I have had previously but did not have injections in my neck. He also thought as a last resort was to do a spinal tap which I hope I never have to do. Does anyone have ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Old 09-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Chronic daily headaches

are you sure it is the meds that work for 2 wks? anything that is in a cycle regarding migraines, makes me think of hormones. Have you had a full hormone checkup/blood work?

i've kept a journal of all my daily symptoms and mine are hormonal. But i'm under control now with bcp, couple days of progesterone and tyramine drops (from my chiropractor). I have also listed foods in my journal trying to figure out if it is food related. I will get a migraine about 2 hrs after i eat something i'm allergic to..like seafood

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

LLiv HB User

I have had some hormonal blood work done due to the fact I am a breast cancer survivor (5yrs), but it has been quite some time. I definitely cannot do hormone replacement due to the fact that breast cancer is hormonal related. I do know that wine and sometimes chocolate will give me a headache. I will look further into the hormonal thing because this could be helpful. I will try anything at this point. Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
(female)

hemyinspain HB User

Hi
Have you had pressure testing of the CSF fluid? it could be that you have High pressure headaches that could be cured with a shunt. Unfortunately I havent so it wont work for me but it is apparently more common than we would imagine. I have posted a new thread with my headache issues and some ideas, I hope it helps and I hope I can get some advice too. I truly feel for you x

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Congratulations on being a breast cancer survivor! I am sorry that you struggle with the daily headaches and some migraines though. I am getting into that in my life, so I understand how it affects life so much. Working part time isn't an option for me, so I am really doing everything I can to turn things around.

I also notice that I get my absolute worst migraines during that time of the month. Menstrual migraines are often related to a dip in estrogen levels. I'm on the pill, which helps keep hormones level, but still need to look into it further on what else I can do. I'd imagine that various fluctuations throughout the month can play a part.

Have you tried preventive medication to take every day? I am trying this and am hoping it helps. My doctor told me 2-4 excedrin migraine or ibuprofen every day was causing me to have regular headaches every day and that I need to cut back on it. I didn't realize I was having too much of it, since it didn't seem like a large amount of pills. With the preventive medication, it should help not need to take other over the counter pain relievers so often.

Chocolate and wine bother me too! I haven't had chocolate in years and it's so worth giving it up to feel better. There are many other treats that are delicious. Same with wine - I can have other alcohol just fine instead.

I've heard a few people who got relief from a chiropractor or neck messages! I found this interesting as I hadn't looked into this myself. I saw a doctor in my area that specializes on headaches/migraines and neck issues. I've heard that getting the neck adjusted can be risky for stroke, but a massage can be very helpful. I know I wouldn't mind regular neck massages

I'd definitely look into preventive medicine if you haven't already. My doctor told me that I should NOT need to take my maxalt-MLT as often as I did and that the preventive medicine I'm taking should help lessen the frequency and severity. Hopefully it starts kicking in soon or I'll be trying out a new one.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
(female)

rebeccad32 HB User

Hi, I suffered from this terrible condition until I discovered through a friend the Magnetic Healer for magnetic therapies. Itís a headband with two magnets developed to cure migraine and insomnia. My friend was cured of migraines and insomnia. I bought it on eBay. It is great and makes me sleep all night. On the Magnetic Healer store they have other products for other conditions like knee pain, hemorrhoids and cervical pain. Hope this helps, Best regards!

Closed Thread