It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

plonk HB User
Unhappy Headaches and Chocolate

For some reason whenever I eat too much chocolate I get a nasty headache.
I luv chocolate, and sometimes its good if I have a hypo. I'm not diabetic but I still get a rare few.
Is there any chocolate out there that isn't likely to give me these?
I'm in the UK.
Also, is there anything I can do to help them once I get them?
Good pain killers anyone?
I'm on Naproxen for something else but not even that touches it.
Thanks for any help.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Re: Headaches and Chocolate

Chocolate is actually a somewhat common migraine trigger. I have this same problem and have one family member like me, but not anyone else I Know has this problem. When researching about it online, it seems fairly common for migraine sufferers. We all have different triggers!

No, unfortunately there isn't a chocolate that won't do this, except for white chocolate since there is no cocoa. Do you like white chocolate okay? Dark chocolate might make it worse since it's more concentrated. If you MUST have some chocolate, just have it occasionally and only eat a small amount. I have taken some advil with a small brownie that somebody made for me (and I felt bad to not eat it since it was for me!) and was okay since I took it with the brownie. If I take medicine AFTER the migraine is already there, it doesn't work for me. Also, excedrin migraine works pretty well for me. It has caffeine in it and it seems to do the trick most of the time.

Luckily I am used to not eating chocolate and don't crave it. Sometimes I see white chocolate and it sounds very good though, and I know I can eat it! I also get hypo as well. I used to try to cut out my sugars except for fruit, and I'd be feeling drunk all the time and only now figured out that my blood sugar was too low. Try some other sweets, like caramel or vanilla flavors. I also like to have coffee with flavors in it when I need a sweet boost. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to keep everything in control!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 03-10-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread