It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
(male)

Lunchboxx HB User
Bad headache right after vomiting

when i got home from eating mexican food, i was extremely full, after more movement (getting up from couch, sitting back down) i felt i needed to throw up, the feeling kept on creeping up on me, then i threw up, and instantly i got a severe pain in the back of my brain/head it only lasted a few minutes and went away, but it was PAINFULL while it lasted. maybe it was the mexican food that triggered me to vomit, then the vomiting gave me the pain because i couldn't breathe while i threw up.

this just happened a little bit ago so please, any info would help.

and today i took 200mg 5htp with 250mg of tyrosine with some b-vitamins, iv taken 5htp before with great appreciation, but these were new capsules, double the dose and with tyrosine which i never tried.

please, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
(male)

Lunchboxx HB User
Re: Bad headache right after vomiting

i just had another headache, it seems like a tension headache because it only peaks for 30 seconds or so, it was throbbing in the back right of my head. i can still feel it just not nearly as bad as the peak.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
(male)

nickelv3377 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxx View Post
when i got home from eating mexican food, i was extremely full, after more movement (getting up from couch, sitting back down) i felt i needed to throw up, the feeling kept on creeping up on me, then i threw up, and instantly i got a severe pain in the back of my brain/head it only lasted a few minutes and went away, but it was PAINFULL while it lasted. maybe it was the mexican food that triggered me to vomit, then the vomiting gave me the pain because i couldn't breathe while i threw up.

this just happened a little bit ago so please, any info would help.

and today i took 200mg 5htp with 250mg of tyrosine with some b-vitamins, iv taken 5htp before with great appreciation, but these were new capsules, double the dose and with tyrosine which i never tried.

please, any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I know this post is really old but I was wondering if you could please help me out. I experienced this same thing when I was vomiting. The first time it happened I woke up nauseated and tried to induce vomiting by sticking my finger down my throat, as I was doing this I felt a really bad headache on the back of my head that hurt for at least 30 seconds. This happened once more when I tried to induce vomiting again so I stopped. A few months later which brings us to this week, I was vomiting again and felt this pain again, pretty intense pain the same as before. The only thing is this time I have had an off and on headache that has lasted all week. It seems to only be on the left side of the back of my head at ear level. It throbs and sometimes seems to be aggravated by me slightly tilting my head back. Did you ever have a CT Scan or anything or find out what it was? Also did any pain proceed that primary time it happened to you? Thank you so much if you can answer.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
(male)

Lunchboxx HB User

Yes, i had gotten some tests done after this happening. Nothing serious was found, but the urgent care doctor freaked me out by telling me it sounded like a aneurysm or stroke, and sent me to the emergency room.
They explained that it was most likely a stretching/straining of a vein in my neck, which i am thankful it didn't snap. This strain was caused by the intense one time vomit, which was probably partially because i tried to fight the action of vomitting.

I have had tension headaches occasionally ever since, I wouldnt be surprised if it was linked to what happen. It has gone down in the number of times these tension headaches arise, which im guessing is because this vein or veins have healed since. Excedrin for tension headaches seem to work wonders, which is just Caffeine and a certain non-narcotic pain killer.

I hope this helps ease some worries other people might have if this ever happens to another. Although bursting a vein in your neck isnt going to be a good day.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
(male)

nickelv3377 HB User

Thank you so much for this, it really helps! One more question if I may...You say you experienced tension headaches after that, were any of these episodes accompanied by nausea? As I said on Monday I woke up extremely nauseated and in the process of vomiting is when I triggered the headache that has lasted all week. However, i was not nauseated again, until this morning (Saturday). I woke up feeling nauseated and then my head started to throb afterwards for about a minute. Also having diarhea now which I havent had all week. Is this something you might have experienced as well?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My doctor also told me that vomiting can cause a lot of pressure in your neck area from your head movement and head being down, which can irritate the nerves that can result in headaches! They showed me a diagram of the head and neck and how this occurs. One of the nerves was the vagus nerve and the other was the trigeminal nerve. The idea about the veins makes sense as well.

I am glad everything was okay, but I imagine that this is a pain to deal with every time it happens. I also have taken Excedrin but was warned to make sure I'm not taking it way too often, and same goes for Advil, Aleve, etc. I was taking different medicine every day and it resulted in rebound headaches. I had to go with a prescription when the Excedrin Migraine wasn't working for me anymore, but occasionally I can use it!

I get nauseous VERY easily. I struggle with being able to take my prescription or over the counter medicines for migraines or headaches because of the vomiting... the pills just won't stay in long enough because of my nausea! I wish I had some advice for this, but unfortunately I'm still working on it myself.

Closed Thread