It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

luminescent HB User
Headaches after napping?

I will sometimes, although very rarely, get this feeling after I sleep at night, but I get it every time after napping. I get an extreme headache, it feels like all the blood and pressure in my body has gone to my head and is continuing to try to push up, and I get very light-headed and dizzy, mainly when I stand, but sometimes while sitting too. It has gotten to last longer and longer each time... I used to wait it out and then have a dull headache for the day, but now I have to take ibuprofen because it lasts too long. Other symptoms I've been having include:

fatigue
depression
anxiety
daily headaches otherwise
hair loss
dry skin/lips
palpitations (they come on randomly, not when I'm stressed or anxious)
poor memory, brain lag, brain fog, confusion, etc.
ice cold extremities
acne
decreased libido
diarrhea
heat intolerence
frequent urinary tract infections
decreased appetite
small-moderate weight gain

Although we only did the TSH test, my doctor ruled out thyroid (lab result was 1.5). He wasn't very interested in any adrenal cause. I feel like anxiety could explain most of this, but not all... especially not the horrible feeling after napping. Plus, I'm a firm believer that things like anxiety and depression are caused by something, either real life events that bring you down (which isn't the issue) or a medical condition.

So I don't know. Does it sound like anything to you? My doctor is scheduling a CT scan, but I like to get ahead of the game. I love medical science.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

Dragon79 HB User
Re: Headaches after napping?

Hello. I have been experiencing something very similar to this for the past few months, although not with napping. I wake up a lot at night, and once in a while when I'm sleeping my head will start pounding every time I roll over. When I get up in the morning it is much worse when I stand and I get lightheaded. The bad ones like that will last for a few days, slowly getting better. Lately they have been milder though. I am on medication for migraines, but am still getting headaches every day.

I also have had some of your other symptoms... hair loss, fatigue, memory/concentration problems, heat/cold intolerance, cold extremities (which sometimes get flushed and hot), intestinal problems. I used to get frequent UTIs, but they stopped when I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis (many similar symptoms to UTIs).

My TSH was 1.2, and I've had an MRI and sleep study that both came back normal except for the waking up a lot. One possibility I haven't explored yet is Hashimoto's, which can give Thyroid symptoms without an abnormal TSH. The test to determine that is for antibodies. Apparently this test isn't usually done without an abnormal TSH. Also, although my ferritin and B12 levels were within range when they were tested (31 and 385), from what I've been reading here they might be low enough to experience symptoms. At my next doctor appointment I'm going to ask to have all my vitamin levels tested, and if they are low ask my GI doctor about possible malabsorption issues.

Good luck with the CT scan and let me know if you figure anything out!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

luminescent HB User

Hi, thanks for the reply! We should definitely keep each other up to date; it sounds like we have a lot of similar issues.

Hashimoto's, yes, that's the name of what I was thinking is still a possibility as well. But with a great TSH level, my doctor seems very hesitant to consider anymore thyroid issues. I don't think he was very thrilled on my suggestion of it to begin with. Maybe when this CT scan comes up clear, he'll continue to pursue the matter? Otherwise, I don't know if he's very concerned. He scheduled a follow-up after the scan, assuming that it's clear, in two weeks. Previously, he scheduled a follow-up in four weeks, but I asked for a sooner appointment because this headache thing is quite annoying. Is that normal for a doctor to do?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
(female)

Dragon79 HB User

I don't think my GP knows a lot about thyroid issues, and I can't see an endocrinologist in the practice without a diagnosis of something, so I think I'd have to really push to get the antibodies testing. It's a simple test, maybe if you bring it up enough your doctor will do it just to shut you up.

I'm seeing a neurologist for my headaches, and the follow-ups usually range from 4 to 6 weeks. That's usually due to waiting to see if a treatment helps though (I've been trying different medications, and have also had injections in my occipital lobes). He did call me up (on a Sunday even) right away when the MRI results came back. I understand about wanting to act sooner on headaches though... I've been suffering them on and off for probably about 15 years. They've been almost daily for the past six months, and though the severity has decreased with medication, it is still very frustrating to deal with daily pain.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
(female)

Dragon79 HB User

Oh, something I forgot to mention is that my neurologist recommended the book "Heal Your Headache" by Dr. David Buchholz. It focuses on reducing migraine triggers by getting rid of rebound headaches (usually from caffeine and some medications) and avoiding dietary triggers. I've just started working on my diet, so I don't know if it'll help or not, but I'm hopeful.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
(male)

blues1986 HB User

Every time I take a afternoon nap, I wake up with a headache. Its something that I am used to. I thought it was common...

The Following User Says Thank You to blues1986 For This Useful Post:
leahsharpe9 (10-08-2011)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
(female)

luminescent HB User

I used to sometimes get a headache if I slept too much, but it was mild and went away pretty quickly. Now it makes me feel like I'm about to die from a head explosion. My doctor seemed worried about the headache after napping thing before I even described how bad it was, but I would think a mild one is common too, so I don't know.

Dragon - It's the same with my GP. Doctors are genuises, but *everything* is still so much to learn and keep up with regularly. I'll definitely try bringing up the antibody thing as a final thing to shut me up, and maybe something about nutrients too! Maybe he would have an idea. I don't really eat well so it's a possibility.

Followups after treatments make sense, but I don't know, this guy is just kicking me out the door and telling me to come back later, expecting everything to fix itself by then. No treatments at all. But my CT scan results should come back today and I'll see if anything is going on there!

15 years of headaches is impressive though. That's incredible patience. I'm glad that medication is at least doing something for you, but hopefully the root of the problem will be found and fixed soon! Even the recent 6 months for you is just much too long.

Last edited by luminescent; 05-04-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
(female)

Dragon79 HB User

My GI doctor was no help. She wouldn't even test my other vitamin levels, because she said she wasn't concerned about them unless I tested positive for celiac. I decided to just get myself some liquid vitamins since they are easier to absorb.

I'm pretty frustrated with doctors. Unless you fit a well known pattern of something they can easily diagnose, they tend to send you on your way without addressing your concerns. However, I haven't given up on my neurologist yet. He continues to try new things to help my headaches.

Good luck with the CT scan results!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

All of those symptoms could also indicate peri (pre) menopause, but you didn't say how old you are. Those symptoms can begin ten or more years prior to menopause though. Like you said, they could all also indicate anxiety.

As for the headaches after you nap, rather than completely lying down, try napping in a recliner or something similar. I too always get a pounding headache if I nap, but just recently discovered if I doze in our recliner that I don't get one. I also feel more refreshed and not so groggy. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe its the fact that I don't sleep as long or as deeply, but at least it satisifies my desire to sleep for a little while and I don't have to deal with the pain afterwards.

Good luck in your search for an answer!

Nancy

Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
(female)

luminescent HB User

Dragon- That sucks! I know what you mean. My doctor prescribed me antidepressants yesterday. That's great - I could use some for the depression and anxiety, but it doesn't solve my other problems. He thinks they're caused by depression/anxiety. Even if they WERE, there's other problems too that I even directly asked him about and he admitted are not a symptom of depression or anything. So... I guess that's all I get. That or I go to another doctor.

Nancy- I'm 21. Pre-menopause would be an exciting answer for this, haha, but it's definitely ruled out.

I'll try that out next time I nap! Luckily I've avoided it for a little while now, but I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by luminescent; 05-13-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
(female)

Dragon79 HB User

What type of antidepressants were you prescribed? Some antidepressants can also be used to treat migraines. I've been on amitriptyline and nortriptyline (tricyclic antidepressants) for my migraines, and while they helped, they didn't help enough. My boyfriend found migraine relief with Cymbalta, but the insurance wouldn't pay for it. The one med I've found that got rid of enough of my headaches was topamax, but I stopped taking it due to hair loss. I recently started a med in the same family called zonisamide, but I'm not sure yet if it's helping.

I've taken a few more naps in the past few weeks, and they are definitely making my headaches worse! When I wake up my head is pounding, but that gets a bit better once I get out of bed. Yesterday I didn't mean to nap, but fell asleep while lying in bed with an ice pack on my head.

I feel like the pounding headaches when I wake up has to do with too much blood flow. Maybe that's why napping in a recliner helps. I doubt I can sleep in a recliner, but I'll try propping my head up a little more with pillows.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
(female)

mchardwicks HB User

First off let me begin by telling you that I understand how you feel, and I pray you will find what is causing them soon. I have suffered with migraines for over 20 years now. I have tried everything that I know of to prevent them. I was put on Elevil (anti-depressent) about 8 years ago. It did slow them down quite a bit, but I did still get them. I quit taking everything so that my husband and I could have children. I have continued to get migraines the entire time. Now I am 37 years old, and going through peri-menopause. Last month I got 13 migraines. They have taken over my quality of life. I have 3 children who are 11, 7, and 5. They know when to be EXTRA quiet now, and it makes me so saddend by this.

I have been doing a lot os studying, and going to the Dr. Here is what I have learned:

Dr. visits: tested blood, MRI, offered anti-depressents, anti-seizure meds, sleeping pills, etc.

Dr said it could be my thyroid, hormones, depression, etc. He is at a loss. I can't take hormones, they make me very sick. So, the only thing I have taken is Treximet when I actually get a migraine. It works 100% of the time.
I also am very fatigued. I also attempt many naps now. I always wake up with a Migraine. Today was just a headache, and I felt very blessed.

I have began to take B-complex, probiotics, vitamin C, magnesium, mulit-vitamins, and a peri-menopause vitamin. This has helped some. I still get migraines, but not as many. I now am getting about 6-10 a month. My next step will be with the neurogologist, and with an allergist. I hope this has helped a little. Good luck, and keep posting so we can help eachother along this battle.

Closed Thread