It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Can anyone tell me what this could be?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
popprincess18
(female)

popprincess18 HB User
Can anyone tell me what this could be?

I get headaches almost daily, and often more than one. I've had the same thing since I was around 15 -- I'm 22 now. Sometimes it hurts too much to do anything. For instance, I once got a headache at the store with a friend and I had to stop and actually sit on the ground to let it pass. Usually lying down with my eyes closed in complete silence helps. I don't think they're migraines because they come on suddenly and typically last under a minute, whereas migraines last a while. The pain is located at the base of my head in the back and sometimes in my temples. It's really sharp and stabbing. If I have one of these headaches and can't sit down in quiet to relieve it, I sometimes get a little queasy. I've also noticed that it happens almost every time I bend over at the waist quickly and I occasionally get a whooshing, pulsating sound in my ears that sounds like blood rushing through my head. Can anyone help me out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
blues1986
(male)

blues1986 HB User
Re: Can anyone tell me what this could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popprincess18 View Post
I get headaches almost daily, and often more than one. I've had the same thing since I was around 15 -- I'm 22 now. Sometimes it hurts too much to do anything. For instance, I once got a headache at the store with a friend and I had to stop and actually sit on the ground to let it pass. Usually lying down with my eyes closed in complete silence helps. I don't think they're migraines because they come on suddenly and typically last under a minute, whereas migraines last a while. The pain is located at the base of my head in the back and sometimes in my temples. It's really sharp and stabbing. If I have one of these headaches and can't sit down in quiet to relieve it, I sometimes get a little queasy. I've also noticed that it happens almost every time I bend over at the waist quickly and I occasionally get a whooshing, pulsating sound in my ears that sounds like blood rushing through my head. Can anyone help me out?
Good news and bad news with this. The good news is that serious problems can SORTA be ruled out. If these began when you were 15 and they are still going on today when you are 22... you may be able to rule out a tumor. By now the tumor would be doing more damage than occasional headaches.

To me it sounds like textbook migraines. Ask your doctor. And if you are too worried, see if you can get an MRI to rule out serious problems.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
popprincess18
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues1986 View Post
Good news and bad news with this. The good news is that serious problems can SORTA be ruled out. If these began when you were 15 and they are still going on today when you are 22... you may be able to rule out a tumor. By now the tumor would be doing more damage than occasional headaches.

To me it sounds like textbook migraines. Ask your doctor. And if you are too worried, see if you can get an MRI to rule out serious problems.
I thought migraines lasted hours and hours, not seconds...I just went to a legit website and it said they last from 4 to 72 hours.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not a tumor cuz if it was, I would probably be dead or have a bulge in my skull or have more complications. lol But I mean, it could be some manageable condition. So far I've just been suffering with them. I can't take ibuprofen because I might have an ulcer and I wouldn't anyway because they don't last long enough for meds to really make a difference.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
1sunny1
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Sounds like you should have an MRI, not just of the head, but of the cervical spine. You could have some cervical problems. Mine start USUALLY AT THE BASE OF THE HEAD (SPINE)and I have 2 bulging disc that are causing problems, although my headaches last a while. I have also been told they are migraines even though light and noise do not bother me. I think I would be goint to the doc at this point if I were you, what if you were driving and this happened. take care..

Sunny

Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
My Gully
(female)

My Gully HB User

Quote:
HI, having had a lifetime of migraines I hope this may help. I don't think you have migraine (at least the classic migraine) migraine is a swelling of you blood vessels in your head until it causes extreme pain. This can last a short time but the chemical that causes it does not go away quickly in my experience. The whooshing and the quickness you describe seems to be like some sort of blood pressure problem. But whatever it is don't give up on looking for the answer, may be your ears, maybe your sinus- I've had similar pain with an undiagnosed sinus infection for years. All of those areas react to pressure differences which can cause what you describe. Just please don't ignore any type of pain, good luck and let us know what you find out, sk

Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
popprincess18
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

Well, when I was younger my doctor diagnosed me as having "tension headaches" which made sense at the time and since I was so young I just took what the doctor said as truth. But they didn't even do any testing, just slapped a label on it. Lately I'm not sure if that could be right, because I sometimes get these headaches when I'm content and comfortable as can be. I guess an MRI wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
rubadwan
(female)

rubadwan HB User

mmmmmm,headache has alot of causes, it is a non-specific symptom, many patiens of many different diseases show headache as a symptom!! more that 2,000 disease!! i dunno but a suggest malignant hypertension although u r too young ,check out..... btw,how many kilos do u weigh??!!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
popprincess18
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadwan View Post
mmmmmm,headache has alot of causes, it is a non-specific symptom, many patiens of many different diseases show headache as a symptom!! more that 2,000 disease!! i dunno but a suggest malignant hypertension although u r too young ,check out..... btw,how many kilos do u weigh??!!

Well, I'm 22, and I've dealt with a lot of stress most of my life, so hypertension isn't that much of a stretch. I weigh 100 pounds, so that would be...45 kilos?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Alesis
(female)

Alesis HB User

Do a web search for "intracranial hypertension". You sound like you're exhibiting the classic symptoms.

A neurologist would make this diagnosis. Although it's most common in overweight women, it can certainly occur in women (or men) of a healthy weight. I would highly recommend visiting the Intracranial Hypertension Research Foundation's web site.

My doctor is currently testing me for this; that's how I know about it.

I would mention this possibility to your doctor. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

A.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
rubadwan
(female)

rubadwan HB User

Quote:
Well, I'm 22, and I've dealt with a lot of stress most of my life, so hypertension isn't that much of a stretch. I weigh 100 pounds, so that would be...45 kilos?

i 4got to ask about ur height!! bs according to ur weight,i guess u r too skinny!!
u know something? ppl when they're very hungry,they have a really bad headache !!
i can make a list of diseases,and u excludde the ones that u r not likely to have ....

Old 05-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
popprincess18
(female)

popprincess18 HB User

Thanks for your help. I'll look up intracranial hypertension and see what I can find out.

Rubadwan -- I'm 5'2", so 157cm? I'm short and thin, and my doctor says I could stand to gain a few pounds but I'm healthy and I eat well. I'm on a new drug called Remeron for depression symptoms and one of the side effects is weight gain, and I have been eating a lot more than I used to, but I haven't weighed myself in a while, so I might even weigh more now than I did before.

Closed Thread