It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

headache behind eye.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
j12David
(male)

j12David HB User
headache behind eye.

I've done my searching around tonight, and I have my suspicions, but i'd like to get a 2nd opinion.

My headaches started about 4 1/2 years ago shortly after I joined the army. After having a headache for 3 days in a row I went to the doctor, who said it must have been stress related (I was getting married, moving into a new apartment, etc.). Not to long after I got settled down there, the headaches went away.

Fast foward to Nov 2008, I deploy to Iraq, and not but a few weeks into deployment the headaches start again. But these are every single day, until May when I went home for 18 day, as soon as I went home the headaches stopped, and didn't come back until February 2010. I thought it was caused from stress, which seems to be the issue looking at my history. But why were the headaches there for the first part of my deployment, and not the second part (when I was most stressed). I didn't think about it until today, when I felt the headache creeping up while out with my wife having lunch. Nothing stressful has happened today, it's been a great day, but the headache is here, and Excedrin tension no longer does the trick (as it did in 2004).

The pain starts as a ache in between my shoulder and neck, over the next hour or it will begin to crawl up the side of my neck, then to my right temple, and behind my right eye. Nothing seems to soothe it, except sleep. It ALWAYS occurs around 5 p.m. (the pain, not the warning aches), and if I just tolerate the pain eventually it will get to the point where it's sharp stabbing pain and makes it very difficult to sleep. I rarely allow it to get this far, but it's starting to ruin every minute that I have free from work (since it always occurs when I'm getting off work).

I spoke to a RN a few weeks ago who told me it just must be stress related and to give it time. Awkwardly enough the headaches went away after talking to him, but soon came back.

Any suggestions would be great. I of course have free health care, it just seems that every doctor I talk to always brushes it off as tension and/or stress related headaches. I'm starting to think there is more to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
fordp82
(male)

fordp82 HB User
Re: headache behind eye.

Hello David,
A pain which eventually settles behind the eye is very likely to be migraine.
The fact that it is relieved by sleep also points to the same diagnoses.

Migraines are usually precipitated by prolonged stress and surprisingly even by relief of stress( that explains your after job headache daily).
Doctors who say it is merely tension related headache have understood nothing of your condition.
With regular prophylaxis, you could be almost migraine free in 2 to 3 months.
Also, there are anti migraine pills which provide quick relief.
I hope, this helps.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
another40winks
(male)

another40winks HB User

Dave,
i have the same problems also except i have them constantly as u say shoulder, neck and worst off the temple n behind the eye which is absolute quality at sucking any spare energy u may have to perhaps enjoy something....i am certain that stress does not help the situation but i believe it may be to do with muscle stress mainly aimed at the shoulder...bad as this sounds i believe self pleasuring (to put politely) puts to much stress on the shoulder hence the neck muscles work harder to help them out causing them to ache...as for the temple / eye i have rescently heard of trigger points which is something to do with pain from a certain point (ie shoulder) sends a message to the brain which somehow gets confused n causes pain in another area (ie head).

I would suggest u look at trigger points
Also see a osteopath to help relieve tension in shoulders n treat trigger points if u have any.

do u have pain at the side of your ribs also??

if u find a solution to ur prob other than this please let me know what is as i am a man in desperate need of a rest from feeling ko'd on a permanent basis.

Good luck with it

Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
j12David
(male)

j12David HB User

Honestly, shortly after this post I realized that I wasn't taken the proper doseage of excedrin tension. Once I realized I should have been taking 2, when I was only taking 1, my headache started to clear up.

Besides that, my stress levels have been down over the past month, and the headaches are no longer as frequent. When I feel one coming on I just take 2 excedrin tension and feel 90% better. It's always lingering there, but not enough to cause me any discomfort.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
esker
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

David, you have trigger points in your neck and shoulder muscles. Trigger points cause referred pain. The referral zone for the neck and shoulder muscle trigger points is behind the eye. You should try to find a physical or massage therapist trained in trigger point therapy and stretching to help you get some relief. You may need to go in once a week for a month or two, then gradually reduce the frequency to once a month with stretching exercises every day for maintenance. I think you'll feel much better.

Closed Thread