It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

lab122 HB User
Unhappy random sharp stabbing pains in head

ok so i rarely have headache problems and have never had a migraine in my life. im 18 years old and getting ready for college so i thought my head pains were nothing when i started getting them randomly like a year and a half ago. i used to get them every once i a while but recently i have been having them a lot. it never is before or after a headache and i tried paying attention to if i was having allergies with them or not enough sleep but nothing really seems to stay constant except for the sharp pains. i tried to research a little and found these pains called "ice pick headaches." now, i have all the basic criteria that come along with it such as head pain occurring as a single stab or a series of stabs, exclusively or predominantly felt in the distribution of the first division of the trigeminal nerve (orbit, temple and parietal area), and stabs last for up to a few seconds and recure with irregular frequency ranging from one to many per day. but these also end up either causing or are caused by headaches/migraines. if someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. i really doubt its anything big but the pains are just annoying because they hurt so bad that i have to stop what im doing. its happened when i have been driving and i literally have to try and focus on driving. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

2cutekids HB User
Re: random sharp stabbing pains in head

I get these.. I've had then since I was a kid... I don't seem to get them quite as much as I used to, I'm 34 now and I get tension headaches and some migraines.

I've had an MRI and everything is clear. They are sharp, quick stabs. Feels like someone is driving a knife in your skull and it about buckles your knees but before you can hit the floor... it's gone.. lol. WEIRD. Then a min later, you get another one... and then a few more and finally they go away. I'm not sure why... No one in my family seems to get them, maybe my father did. I don't have any advise for you cause I don't know what brings them on or how to stop them cause they don't really last long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
(female)

lab122 HB User

ya like i seriously could fall on the ground in pain and all the sudden its gone and my family like thinks i am blowing it totally out of proportion because they dont last long and are random but it has just become so annoying and more painful...i donno im going to see if maybe my doctor has any suggestions i guess

Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
(female)

middaughny HB User

I thought I was the only one that had these painful stabbings in my head. Had an MRI and they found "white spots" but still do not know what that might indicate. Sometimes the stabbing is just over one eye, mostly the right side, sometimes it feels like a crown of needles. My family is always alarmed when I react to the extreme pain but still do not fully understand. Doctors have no clue.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #5
(female)

nigela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab122 View Post
ok so i rarely have headache problems and have never had a migraine in my life. im 18 years old and getting ready for college so i thought my head pains were nothing when i started getting them randomly like a year and a half ago. i used to get them every once i a while but recently i have been having them a lot. it never is before or after a headache and i tried paying attention to if i was having allergies with them or not enough sleep but nothing really seems to stay constant except for the sharp pains. i tried to research a little and found these pains called "ice pick headaches." now, i have all the basic criteria that come along with it such as head pain occurring as a single stab or a series of stabs, exclusively or predominantly felt in the distribution of the first division of the trigeminal nerve (orbit, temple and parietal area), and stabs last for up to a few seconds and recure with irregular frequency ranging from one to many per day. but these also end up either causing or are caused by headaches/migraines. if someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it. i really doubt its anything big but the pains are just annoying because they hurt so bad that i have to stop what im doing. its happened when i have been driving and i literally have to try and focus on driving. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I Too been getting these really bad stabbing pains in right temple-now worrying cos Mum had stroke. also worried about bleeding or clot or tumour. Are these pains quite common? What treatment etc?
Nigela x
ps let me know how you got on.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
(female)

gillybe HB User

I have been having these stabbing pains in the top and back of may head on and off for years, have been to the doctor and he couldn't really help, except to give me a prescription for pain killers. But recently they are becoming more and more frequent (I am in my 50s') and they quite often move around in different parts of the head.

Right now I have had my longest 'session', lasting over a week, and although its not stopping my daily life, it is begining to wear me down.
I, like others who have written on this topic, have tried to research what the hell it is, and I have come up with nothing really substantial. The nearest diagnosis I have found is Trigemal Neuralgia, but really that mostly affects the face and jaw, and I think is quite rare in the back of the head where I am experiencing it.
It also seems that once you have TN, basically you are stuck with it.

In the past I have linked these awful sharp head pains to various things, for example: When I have had dental treatment, head exposure to cold wind, and even blow drying my hair!. But I am never quite sure what the triggers are.
I am experienceing thses horrible pains right now this week (7 days of it!). I have had a head cold and cough, and my head hurts when I cough, so maybe a link to this perhaps?

Like many others with this dibilitating complaint, I would like a doctor's view on this, but from my research, they don't seem to know what it isl, and more importantly, how to control the pain. Normal over the counter painkillers don't really help that much.

So, are there any doctors out there enlighten me and alot of people who experiencing this sometimes terrible pain?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
(female)

89yu HB User

Dear nigela,
This morning while I was sleeping, I felt like someone was poking me with a needle in the head. I get headaches a lot, but there was no headache with this. Some other person on this forum, sunkist1, whose post I can't reply to, had a sensation of a nail being driven into her head. I found something similar on another forum.
I do not know what it is, but let me know if you find out. Good luck figuring it out!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
(female)

susiej HB User

I get those pains all the time too! It's terrible.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
(female)

1maglia HB User

I have had these very same pains for over 25 years and was told they are related to the foods I eat ie... msg sodium benzote, do not know the correct spelling. and milk chocolate the yellow dye in cheese... can only eat white cheeses... I have a list of other sodium products that i have to be mindful of. Keeping a food diary can help tract the dos and don'ts.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
(female)

89yu HB User
chocolate & cheese

I know that chocolate and cheddar cheese give me headaches, but I think they have nothing to do with the sudden pain like a needle in my head.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #11
(female)

taizzy4u HB User
Lightbulb Re: random sharp stabbing pains in head

Gillybe,
Have you checked into "Arnold Chiari Malformation I"? I, like many others its seems, started having sharp stabbing pains in the back of my head in my early 20s. I'll never forget the first one, it was like someone stuck a knife in the back of my head out of the blue. Freaked me out back then. Doc said stress. Ok.? They were very infrequent over the years, but excruciating and lasting only seconds. Over time, I began to have them more frequently but had grown used to them. Big triggers: laughing, coughing, straining during bowel movements, etc. Unfortunately, although they were short in duration at first, they started lasting longer (30 - 40 seconds), my eyes would go blurry during that time (perhaps due to the pain), and I sometimes would have to hold onto something so I wouldn't fall. Also, they were starting to happen a couple times a week and eventually several times a day for weeks at a time - which led to me to constantly feel like you know what most of my days. My final straw (almost 20 years and several doctors later), I had a severe one while driving my kids home from school after looking over my shoulder. That was a first and it scared the beejeezus out of me. Alas, after the migraine diagnosis and then the arthritis diagnoses, they x-rayed my neck and noticed some disc thinning (which, by the way, had nothing to do with it) so they did an MRI. Diagnosis: Chiari I Malformation. Something you're born with affecting the base of your skull and TREATABLE (albeit through surgery). Anyway, I have had no knives stabbing me in the back of my skull for almost three years now! Incredible to live so long in pain and finally have it gone. Best part, I can laugh again without feeling like I'm going to die. Anyway, not sure if this helps. But I hope you find your answers soon.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taizzy4u View Post
Gillybe,
Have you checked into "Arnold Chiari Malformation I"? I, like many others its seems, started having sharp stabbing pains in the back of my head in my early 20s. I'll never forget the first one, it was like someone stuck a knife in the back of my head out of the blue. Freaked me out back then. Doc said stress. Ok.? They were very infrequent over the years, but excruciating and lasting only seconds. Over time, I began to have them more frequently but had grown used to them. Big triggers: laughing, coughing, straining during bowel movements, etc. Unfortunately, although they were short in duration at first, they started lasting longer (30 - 40 seconds), my eyes would go blurry during that time (perhaps due to the pain), and I sometimes would have to hold onto something so I wouldn't fall. Also, they were starting to happen a couple times a week and eventually several times a day for weeks at a time - which led to me to constantly feel like you know what most of my days. My final straw (almost 20 years and several doctors later), I had a severe one while driving my kids home from school after looking over my shoulder. That was a first and it scared the beejeezus out of me. Alas, after the migraine diagnosis and then the arthritis diagnoses, they x-rayed my neck and noticed some disc thinning (which, by the way, had nothing to do with it) so they did an MRI. Diagnosis: Chiari I Malformation. Something you're born with affecting the base of your skull and TREATABLE (albeit through surgery). Anyway, I have had no knives stabbing me in the back of my skull for almost three years now! Incredible to live so long in pain and finally have it gone. Best part, I can laugh again without feeling like I'm going to die. Anyway, not sure if this helps. But I hope you find your answers soon.
hi im just curious to whether alot of your sharp head pains are in a specific area of your head. my story is too long to go into right now as im feeling so unwell but ive these scary pains too and i feel like im gonna die!! i get them all over my head but there are 2 specific places on my head where i get them the most which are huge pains like my head is about to haemmorage...they really scary. x

Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #13
(female)

nigela HB User

Hi Mine are usually at the side of head-above my eye. Have alot of floaters in eye too-came after last episode of them. Very frightening
Thanks for your info
Nigela x

Closed Thread