It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Terrible pain for over a week now

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Monticello
(male)

Monticello HB User
Terrible pain for over a week now

Hi, for the past week I've been experiencing a terrible headache. Late last Sunday night, I was watching tv with the right side of my head rested on my hand which was closed into a fist at the time. I guess I must have hit a nerve or something because I started to feel pain in that side. It wasn't until about an hour later that the painful headache came. 2 days later, I went to the doctor and told him what had happened while he asked me some questions. He told me that my symptoms sounded a lot like migraines and he gave me a coupon where I could get some special migraine medicine. Well, I took them and they really didn't work. I got some different stuff yesterday and that didn't work either. There's been times where the pain wasn't so bad and I was able to take my mind off it for a couple of hours, but then the headache always returns a couple of hours later.

Usually the back of my head i always constantly bugging me. I have pain around my whole head too, but the pain in the back of my head is worse. Sometimes my ears even start ringing sota speak. I've never had a headache this long and am worried that what if I did some damage to my brain. I just have this constant fear that I'm going to die because of this headache I've been having for almost a week now. I don't know if I'm overworrying or not, but I'm just scared and don't know what else I can do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
friendsville
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Terrible pain for over a week now

I think it would be good,perhaps,if you had an MRI.I have over the years had headaches,and they scared me too.I made two different appointments to have an MRI,and chickened out each time.I dreaded the claustiphobia part,and could have
the "open architecture " option, which is easier to take.I did nothing,and the headaches went away.Ringing in the ears(Tinnitis)seems to be the normal thing to have.It has lasted for me 25 years or so.I do not believe there is a cure.Mine is
louder, as I become more anxious. Good luck. Bill

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
beth67
(female)

beth67 HB User

It sounds to me like you have developed some trigger points. Having your head in a weird position can do that. Trigger points are little knots in the muscle. You also said you have pain in the back of your head. Referred pain from trigger points from the back of the neck or head can be in the front of your head. I've had great success with trigger point therapy. It has helped with headaches and other pains. Look it up. I have a great book by Claire Davies. I think the title is trigger point therapy workbook. With trigger point therapy you feel for tender spots and then massage them in one direction about twelve times. Do this about 12 times a day. It may take a few days for the pain in the site subside. If the medication didn't work for your headache it makes me think this kind of headache isn't due to migraine. Of course see your doctor if your really concerned but maybe you can try this in the meantime. Good luck.

Beth

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
AnnD
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

A coupon for special migraine medicine?...what is the name of the special medicine?...if it is just over the counter then it isn't true migraine medicine.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Monticello
(male)

Monticello HB User

Thank you all for the responses. I went to my doctor last week and told him what happened, and he said it sounded like migraines, but the thing is my headache has not completely gone away since then. When I wake up from sleeping, my whoe head kinda hurts although it is mostly the sides. The sides of my head feel kind of tingly. During the day the past 2 days, they have been easier to deal with while I was awake and not resting my head. I'm headed to the dcotor in about 7 hours and I will tell him that I have had this headache for over a week. I just hope something can be done because I am really scared. Again, thanks for all your replies and I will keep you updated. And to the first poster, no, the medicine wasn't oer the counter. It was called Maxalt, but it was only 10 mg's so I'm not sure if the dosage was to small or if that is the right amount of dosage for medicines specifically designed for migraines.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
vh90453
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Sorry to hear of your pain. Years ago I had a constant headache (I'm not a head achey
person) for about a month, no medication helped it. Turned out to be from tight muscles in my neck, like Beth was talking about. I went and had some massage therapy on my neck and the pain gradually subsided. The massage hurt like hell but did the trick. Goodluck.

Closed Thread