It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
(male)

TFian HB User
Chronic migraine problem

I'm looking for help on a particular problem I've had for around 5 some years, which is a constant unending migraine headache which is debilitating. Was going to a neurologist a couple years ago to treat it, but unfortunately, my insurance ran out, and couldn't see her anymore. So it's now up to me to the best of my abilities to try to treat this on my own, since I really need this to end. To describe the symptoms, well, an unending throbbing migraine, which only ends when I'm asleep, and kicks right back up when I'm awake. Pretty bad fatigue, because of the pain of the migraine, it pretty much make sit hard for me to concentrate and work. I currently have one idea that may be causing this migraine, but unsure if it's really the cause. Along with my migraines, I have some ongoing nasal congestion, to where it's difficult to breathe through my nose, and I also have strange purple discolorization under my eyes (the same type of discolorization is pictured here * link to picture removed by hb-mod, moderator * ). Some have said these are symptoms of allergies, and that the nasal congestion may very well be causing my migraines. Because so, I bought some Centirizine Hydrochloride to test the allergy problem, but it didn't seem to really have any effect. So I don't know if it's not an allergy problem, or I just didn't attack the allergy strong enough (took 20 mg Centirizine to be specific, didn't really do anything)

So, is anyone aware of this problem? And if so, what can I do?

They're a number of medications I can aquire online without an RX, say if I need to get on Gabapentin or Topamax, I'm willing to try whatever that's medically sound to try to get rid or at least significantly mitigate these migraines. Can anyone here help me?

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-11-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Please don't post links to pictures, per posting policy. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to TFian:
Paddy55 (09-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

Nikivee HB User
Re: Chronic migraine problem

I can completely empathize with what you are going through. I have suffered from the same type of migraines for the past several years, they lasted about 5 days a week or more and I would go to bed with it and wake up with it. They were making life impossible at work and at home. I've been on every rx imaginable to treat my migraines over the last 20 years but have started taking Topamax over the last 2 weeks. Althought it's still premature, I will say that I have not had a migraine in these two weeks however, the side effects are quite serious. I did get a dull headache for two days when there was a major change in the weather but it was nothing close to what I would normally get.

I don't think this is a drug you should buy online. This is a powerful drug that I think should be monitored by a physician/neurologist. I began at 25mg at bedtime and will begin taking another 25mg in the morning this week and will continue to taper up until they find the dosage that works for me. I did tons of research on the side effects and chose to see for myself. So far, I get tired very easily, my sleep is really messed up, strange dreams and some insomnia, my concentration and appetite are off. As the last two weeks have progressed, these have started to ease off. I am expecting that when I add the extra 25mg each week or two that the side effects will start again.

I also had severe sinus issues with my migraines which also seem to have improved. I still seem to be a little stuffed up at night but that's allergies and my pharmacist says I can still take a mild allergy rx at bedtime.

So that's my experience. Although, I'm tired allot, I think it's better than being in flat out in the dark by myself wondering if today was the day my head would explode. I'm on holidays from work right now and may find it too hard when I go back to work but until then I'm enjoying my family. I was up to taking 2 Axert or Maxalt per day 5 to 6 days a week and was almost to the point of having a stroke when I saw a Neurologist. I hope you find something that works for you.

Best of luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

punkycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFian View Post
I'm looking for help on a particular problem I've had for around 5 some years, which is a constant unending migraine headache which is debilitating. Was going to a neurologist a couple years ago to treat it, but unfortunately, my insurance ran out, and couldn't see her anymore. So it's now up to me to the best of my abilities to try to treat this on my own, since I really need this to end. To describe the symptoms, well, an unending throbbing migraine, which only ends when I'm asleep, and kicks right back up when I'm awake. Pretty bad fatigue, because of the pain of the migraine, it pretty much make sit hard for me to concentrate and work. I currently have one idea that may be causing this migraine, but unsure if it's really the cause. Along with my migraines, I have some ongoing nasal congestion, to where it's difficult to breathe through my nose, and I also have strange purple discolorization under my eyes (the same type of discolorization is pictured here * link to picture removed by hb-mod, moderator * ). Some have said these are symptoms of allergies, and that the nasal congestion may very well be causing my migraines. Because so, I bought some Centirizine Hydrochloride to test the allergy problem, but it didn't seem to really have any effect. So I don't know if it's not an allergy problem, or I just didn't attack the allergy strong enough (took 20 mg Centirizine to be specific, didn't really do anything)

So, is anyone aware of this problem? And if so, what can I do?

They're a number of medications I can aquire online without an RX, say if I need to get on Gabapentin or Topamax, I'm willing to try whatever that's medically sound to try to get rid or at least significantly mitigate these migraines. Can anyone here help me?
First you need to establish why you are getting head pain this severe and prolonged. It may very well be "just" migraine, but it may be indicative of something more serious. In Australia we have universal healthcare, so we can get things checked out for very minimal cost, but I think you may be in the US, so this is probably an expensive option for you.

Regards,
Linda

Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User

have you tried a chiropractor? acupuncture? That has helped me a great deal. Please do not buy neurontin/gabapentin or topamax online with out seeing a doctor. These are dangerous drugs. The main use if i remember correctly is for seizures but they found they help chronic pain with fibromaylia and migraines. You also cannot just stop taking these meds.

when you had insurance did you ever have a ct scan or mri?

another thing that you can do and it is free.. keep a daily journal of your symptoms and what you eat, what day you are on in your cycle. It could be a food allergy. I'm basically wheat/gluten free and that helped a lot of my fatigue.. along with going off Yaz bcp.

good luck!

Last edited by dolysods; 08-12-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

Orangejuice1 HB User

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Migraine. This is not the same 'animal' as Episodic Migraine. 97% of people who get migraines, get Episodic Migraines - meaning there are normal days between migraines. Furthermore, migraines are not just headaches. Not only do they leave you in your own little world of pain, but they affect your brain, your physiology, your emotional state, your concentration, etc. For Chronic Migrainuers; the drugs that work for episodic migraines do nothing. At this point, only the new Botox injections have been found to be helpful, but 3 or 4 normal days a month is still not much of a trade off for 6 darn shots of Botox in the head every six weeks. I suppose it is better than NO normal days a month.

And yes, you can have migraines when you sleep. I am frequently awakened by severe pain in the night.

I have found that Topomax does nothing to lessen my migraines, but does tend to keep me calmer about the pain. I suppose that's one good thing.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

Orangejuice1 HB User

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Migraine. This is not the same 'animal' as Episodic Migraine. 97% of people who get migraines, get Episodic Migraines - meaning there are normal days between migraines. Furthermore, migraines are not just headaches. Not only do they leave you in your own little world of pain, but they affect your brain, your physiology, your emotional state, your concentration, etc. For Chronic Migrainuers; the drugs that work for episodic migraines do nothing. At this point, only the new Botox injections have been found to be helpful, but 3 or 4 normal days a month is still not much of a trade off for 6 darn shots of Botox in the head every six weeks. I suppose it is better than NO normal days a month.

And yes, you can have migraines when you sleep. I am frequently awakened by severe pain in the night.

I have found that Topomax does nothing to lessen my migraines, but does tend to keep me calmer about the pain. I suppose that's one good thing.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Tfian - I'm so sorry you are having to deal with chronic migraine - my neurologist called it "intractible migraine". It is just horrible to try to have a life when you have to deal with this. I know you said your insurance ran out, does that mean you will not see a doctor at all, or not for a year? I'm not sure how that works. Anyway, I wanted to tell you that my neurologist just attended a world-wide conference in Geneva Switzerland about migraine. With all the best minds researching and treating the worst cases, they still say the only (or the best) treatment that will help a patient with intractible migraine is botox injections. I've tried new drugs as they became available, like topamax, inderal, even the old ones like cafergot. But the neurologist now wants me to stay on my drug for preventing migraines - called Verapamil, a blood pressure pill - to keep them from getting to the level " 10 " every day, and in addition, having a series of Botox injections. He says that is all that is left for me, we have tried everything. (and by the way, I do have chronic sinusitis on the same side as well).
Not sure if this helps, now that there is no insurance, but perhaps you can check into it for the future? Best of luck to you!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
(female)

Orangejuice1 HB User

You said it Paddy55. There are not many options left to us except Botox, and possibly the medications you mentioned for hopefully keeping levels of pain down from a 10. I hope more research will reveal a better way of treating our disability.

My doctor has recently been out of town....speaking at the migraine conference in Geneva. I guess we both have doctors that should be 'in the know.'

Last edited by Orangejuice1; 09-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Closed Thread