It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Headaches at 26 years old 3-4 times per week on right side (temple)

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Catherine83
(female)

Catherine83 HB User
Headaches at 26 years old 3-4 times per week on right side (temple)

I have been getting headaches since I was 20. I'm now 26 and still have found no relief. The only meds that work are Excedrin Migraine but only if I catch the headache early on. If not, I have no relief after taking Excedrin. It only hurts on the right temple and has never hurt at any other location on my head. I have gone to doctors about it who basically tell me it could be anything and to keep taking whatever works. I hate masking a problem like this but can't seem to find any answers. Does anyone suffer from right side temple headaches?? Have you found an answer as to why?? I get these 3-4 times a week and it is driving me nuts!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
BeHappy2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Headaches at 26 years old 3-4 times per week on right side (temple)

It'a good you have found Excedrin Migraine to work for you.
yes i agree the key to treating the migraine is to catch before it is full blown.

I have found that if i don't catch soon enough with my medication, i use gel capsule and if i poke a hole in the gel cap it will begin working much faster if i had not. Just a thought i'd pass on to you, this has helped me.

Be Well
BeHappy2

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
leeshy215
(female)

leeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB User

Hello,
You should read my post, I think it might help you!

Hope you feel better.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
lucylucy
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

It sounds like a migraine to me, but it could also be a stress headache. If it gets really bad, you can get a prescription for Imitrex from your doctor. It's a lot cheaper now than it used to be. Ibuprofen works for me if I can catch it early enough. Mine were so bad last week, the doctor gave me an injection of a strong anti-inflamatory. Narcotic type pain meds don't provide any more relief than safer pain killers.

The best advice I can give you is to try to figure out how to prevent them. My doctor recommends 600 mg Magnesium, 200 mg Riboflavin (B2) daily. It worked for me last year, but I eventually ran out and forgot about it.

Keep a headache diary so you can figure out what your triggers are. My main triggers are insufficient sleep, orange juice, flashing lights and probably stress. Caffeine is a trigger for some people, and a treatment for others. Some OTC migraine meds are just a pain killer plus caffeine. They can help some, but actually make it worse for some people. If it keeps you from getting enough sleep, you could get into a vicious cycle.

I've been getting them all my life, though I've gone months or even years relatively pain free (especially when I was taking Magnesium). My headaches weren't diagnosed as migraines until my 30's when I started getting nauseous and seeing stars (auras).

Posture and stress could also make a difference. The way I sit with my laptop is probably really bad for my neck and back. If you have some neck pain or stiffness, it could effect the blood vessels in your head and trigger a headache. I just started going to a chiropractor for my stiff neck. It helped the last time I did it.

Catherine, if you're getting them 3 times a week, you need to talk to your doctor again. A key thing that happens in doctor's visits --- if you have an appointment to discuss a few things, the FIRST thing you tell the nurse or the doctor is the main things they'll work on. There is more your doctor can do for you (or get a new doctor). It might help to take a quiz online to determine whether your headaches are probably migraines.

Last edited by lucylucy; 07-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Closed Thread