It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Does anyone else take magnesium to prevent migraine?

I just started taking Magnesium again to prevent migraines. My doctor recommends 600 mg Magnesium and 200 mg Riboflavin (which is a lot of B2). Magnesium has a lot of other benefits, so it can't hurt. I now take it whenever I take Calcium (because they work together). There are some research studies that found success with these supplements.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
(female)

punkycat HB User
Smile Re: Does anyone else take magnesium to prevent migraine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylucy View Post
I just started taking Magnesium again to prevent migraines. My doctor recommends 600 mg Magnesium and 200 mg Riboflavin (which is a lot of B2). Magnesium has a lot of other benefits, so it can't hurt. I now take it whenever I take Calcium (because they work together). There are some research studies that found success with these supplements.
Hi,
I have tried all the natural therapies except for riboflavin. Magnesium did nothing for me! I also was raw vegan for several months and this did work to some extent, however it did not eliminate my migraines completely and is very difficult to adhere to long term. I would love to be able to rely on natural remedies only as I dislike medication very much and of this list I have tried, nothing made even the slightest difference:

Imigran (imitrex)
Sumatriptan
Tramal (marketed as synthetic morphine)
iboprofen
paracetamol
aspirin
excedrin (not available in Australia, so I ordered it from the US)
Magnesium
Q10

Currently I am on beta blockers, but I have only just started them, so will finds out fairly soon if they work on my monthlyl migraine. Apparently they are the gold standard in migraine prevention and I am on 2 x 40mg of inderal per day. I have heard excellent reports about riboflavin, so please keep us informed about your results.

Regards,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
(female)

Carapinay HB User
Re: Does anyone else take magnesium to prevent migraine?

So is it okay to take the Magnesium along with other medications? I am currently on verapamil for the prevention of migraines? I know it's just a mineral but just want to make sure I don't do any damage. I have also heard feverfew helps prevent them, but cannot be taken in combination with some medications.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
(female)

punkycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carapinay View Post
So is it okay to take the Magnesium along with other medications? I am currently on verapamil for the prevention of migraines? I know it's just a mineral but just want to make sure I don't do any damage. I have also heard feverfew helps prevent them, but cannot be taken in combination with some medications.
You would have to check with your doctor about interactions. I did try feverfew in the loose tea form, but the taste is so dreadful that I stopped!

Regards,
Linda

Old 08-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

well,,i take a calcium/magnesium supplement...it hasnt helped my headaches.

i was thinking of trying feverfew tablets...it couldnt hurt eh....

Old 08-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
(female)

punkycat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic View Post
well,,i take a calcium/magnesium supplement...it hasnt helped my headaches.

i was thinking of trying feverfew tablets...it couldnt hurt eh....
I don't think the tablets are effective. In days gone by, they used to drink feverfew leaves as a tea. This is how I did it and the taste was foul, really bitter and unpalatable. Currently I am on beta blockers (2 x 40mg per day) which is not ideal for me as I prefer natural remedies. I have been on them for 7 days and not a single side effect. I'd love to be able to tell you that the natural remedies work, but I have given all of them a really good try and they just don't work! The closest I got to a cure was the raw vegan diet. That definitely reduced the amount of migraines, but it did not lessen the severity of the attack when it occured.

Regards,
Linda

Old 08-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
(female)

Carapinay HB User

Thanks for your input. I am trying to switch to a vegan diet. It's not hard for me to cut out meat, but I have to cut back on the carbs and eat more fruits and veggies. Hopefully, this will help, even though my migraines aren't food related, can't hurt to just be healthier altogether. But i do agree with u about the severity of the migraines. I don't have many now, but the ones I have had were pretty bad!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
(female)

Carapinay HB User

The bottle of magnesium I have says serving size is one pill... each pill is 250? Are you sure that 600mg is not overload???

Closed Thread