It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Don't Know What's Wrong

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
VictoriaL
(female)

VictoriaL HB User
Don't Know What's Wrong

Hi,

I have started to get headaches since I was 13-14 years old [at that time I was still living in Russia]. I'm wearing glasses and I have been sent to different doctors. I used to have high blood pressure, but I thought it was because of the mountains that i was living in. Then we moved to U.S and my headaches stopped, I didn't have any problems until now.
My glasses are okay, I don't seem to have problem with my vision [you know how sometimes headaches can come from wrong prescription], but lately not only I've been having headaches, I've been heart burns. I drinked energy drinks for about a year now, they started sometimes giving me chest pains, which i figure out I might have arrhythmia, but not sure still, even though the symptoms are all the same.
Now, I'm starting missing school because every morning I wake up, I feel tired, my head hurts, stomach pains and heart burn, it is like my body is hurting all over. I dont know what is happening, but I'm tired of missing school because of this, this is my last year and I cant miss too many days.

I need help. Sadly I have no way to check with doctor at the moment [family problems] and I dont know whatever this is not serious or it is.

I know I might havent made myself clear and if you need more details, please contact me.

Thank You,

Victoria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
guy in AU
(male)

guy in AU HB User
Re: Don't Know What's Wrong

Hi Victoria, unfortunatly, you realy do need to see a doctor. Firstly, because you need a medical checkup to make sure there is nothing seriously wrong, and secondly, because the medicines that will help your headaches need a prescription.

For your heartburn, you can buy very useful medicines over the counter. Ranitidine is a good one, it has the brand name Zantac, or you can buy the generic store brand, which is just as good, and a lot cheaper.. Buy the 150mg tablets, and take one twice a day.

As for the headaches, it sounds like chronic tension headaches.

The best treatment dot these is a low dose tricyclic antidepressant, such as nortriptyline. They dont use them because you are depressed, it was discovered by chance that as well as helping depression, they also helped to releive chronic headaches.

Normaly you would start off taking 25mg at night, and then build up to 50mg or 75mg at night over a week or two. This is often all that is needed, however, if it doesnt totaly releive your pain, a useful stratergy is to keep taking the nortriptyline, and add to it an antiinflamatory pain killing drug, for example meloxicam 15mg at night. You need to see a doctor, because these medicines require a prescription, and also, because you need to make sure there isnt a serious cause for the headaches.

In the short term, simple headache remedies available over the counter should give you some relief, for example ibuprofen. Two tablets of OTC ibuprofen usualy releive a tension headache, atleast for a few hours, which should help you get up and off to school.

I have had chronic tension headaches all my life, and have picked up a lot of infomation about them, if you need any more info, please just ask

Best wishes

Jonathan

Closed Thread