It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

boopsmom HB User
Topamax....

I just started taking Topamax this past Thursday for migraines. By Friday I had developed a dry hacky cough. I thought I was coming down with something. Tonight I decided to get on the internet and did a search for "Topamax and Cough" and found that a dry cough can be an immediate side effect.

Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it last?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

ShonaB HB User
Re: Topamax....

Hi, I've been taking Topamax since July and I've had the same kind of cough. The only thing is, I've had my cough for longer than that (previous side-effect). My Dr. suggested that I take 1 dose of generic Robitussin DM in the morning. It works wonders! I don't cough all day. Sometimes, depending on weather & such, I'll start coughing again in the late afternoon or evening. I simply take another dose & I'm good all night. I also have several allergies and the cough med really helps with the post-nasal drip and all the other fun stuff. Hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

jessicalynn13 HB User

I have been on it for 7 mths and the only side affects i have had is weight loss, and some tingling in hands and feet, but that is gone now. I get a headache every couple of weeks with 200 mg daily plus Facet injections every 8 weeks. Trying Botox next. Good Luck. Jess

Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
(male)

kwaight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopsmom View Post
I just started taking Topamax this past Thursday for migraines. By Friday I had developed a dry hacky cough. I thought I was coming down with something. Tonight I decided to get on the internet and did a search for "Topamax and Cough" and found that a dry cough can be an immediate side effect.

Has anyone else experienced this and how long did it last?
I've been on Topamax since July (25mg / day starting - now on 125 mg / day ) and I've had a dry cough ever since starting. I know it's the Topamax because when I forget to take the morning dose, which I occasionally do, the cough gets better for that day. My neurologist doesn't seem to know anything about this side effect and my GP just seems to defer to the neurologist. It's a nuisance, but as the Topamax seems to help with the "stonkers" I'll put up with the cough. Unfortunately I also have medication over-use headaches after years on Solpadol and the Topamax dont seem to help with those. Still one problem at a time. Good luck, most people do seem to benefit after a while on the Topamax but you have to find your ideal dose.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
(female)

Lousy Cook HB User

It did'nt last long, cough drops are good or candies. Keep water around so calories don't add up if you are counting. I've been on it for 5 years.

Closed Thread