It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
(female)

dorotahp HB User
headache from bending over and cough

Ok, I have had this problem for a while now, I have headaches when I cough, which get worse if the cough lasts longer, to the point where I feel like i have to grab my head because something feels like it will burst. Similar feeling when I bend over, and the pain is always on one side, above the ear, and a little in the back of the head.

Now I also have this ringing in my ears all the time, sometimes with other sounds in my ear like vibration. besides bending and coughing, I get the pressure in my head feeling which happens when I change position (bend over, lie on my stomache or whatever might cause pressure) the pressure feels like it builds with each pulse to the point I hear it loud in my ears and it lasts for a while. it kind of hurts but not too bad) My sinuses feel completely clear but what do I know if there is something deeper. I have headache pretty regularly (not always every day) sometimes migraines with aura backpain also, and neck pain, although how those apply to this other headache I don't know because the pain is different.

please help...confused... doctor ordered sinus xray... but i don't feel at all stuffy (i have perfect blood pressure, maybe a higher pulse (100 resting) and not overweight)

The Following User Says Thank You to dorotahp For This Useful Post:
jjocelyn44 (04-14-2012)
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
(female)

dorotahp HB User
Re: headache from bending over and cough

oh yah and the pain from cough or bending doesn't last long, like only a few seconds to a minute max...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

Juliehi13 HB User

I have the same exact thing....would love to know what is causing it...i have absolutely no sinus congestion either....haven't seen a doctor...waiting to see if it clears itself

Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
(female)

dorotahp HB User

I am goin to the doc tomorrow, hopefull I'll know something at least a direction.... but I'm confused and dont even know where to start, do my regular headaches have anything to do with this cough headache? and the other stuff?? ugh

Last edited by dorotahp; 10-21-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: help

Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

zeeda HB User

so dorotahp....did you find out what's causing your head ache?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #6
(female)

dorotahp HB User

Hi, I went to the doctor on thursday and she did some neurologic tests and such, which seemed to be all ok as far as I know, and then she told me to start taking vitamin B6 and to come back in a week for follow up, she also sent me for some other deficiency tests like potassium, and iron, and some TSH tests, also something that has to do with kidney problems.... now I wait till I see her again to find out if something cam up in the tests.... I'll keep u posted on other stuff

Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
(male)

mrgrey HB User

Hey, I have exactly the same thing, a dull pain in the back of my head when I cough. I've noticed that it is worse when I eat sugar. The pain in my head only started yesterday. I've had the cough for over a month - the odd thing is that the urge to cough is almost non-existent, but I can feel fluid in my lungs and force myself to cough. Please post what you find out. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
(male)

fillo HB User

Dear bend-over/cough headache sufferers, I suffer the same/similar unknown malady. I never used to get head aches of any sort. Ringing in the ears was the last draw; only a few months old: the rest started about eight(?) months ago. I am 59. I am in good health. I, too, notice some amplification with eating in the ear ringing. The pain on bending over never seems to TOTALLY go away, but varies day-to-day week-to-week in it's intensity. Stress may well be some part of the equation I have noticed. It's an odd litmus test of SOME thing. I feel the whole goes waaaay back to some sinus/chest issues I had a some time a go; all symptoms slowly manifesting, serially, as if some virus were migrating and growing; ultimately finding a final resting place some where deep in my brain. Early on, I had strange watery nose-running that would seemingly appear for little reason. For months I had some phlegmatic situation thate would induce frequent “ah-he-ahe-ahems”. Wish I knew what it was and with the health reform deal would move along so I could at least have what advice/wisdom the AMA may have to offer. Ibuprophen does not seem to help much and more, or less coffee, or alcohol does not seem to change anything. I am on self-imposed reduction in caffeine and alcohol as it all is very disturbing. I have wondered if it’s a latent allergy that is causing cerebral disturbance or something like internal shingles. I say “Help!” as well. p

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
(male)

mrgrey HB User

Update on my own problem: the cough has gone away on its own, but it did hang on for 1.5 months which is a really long time. I asked my doctor about my headaches, and he told me that headaches in the specific area in the back of the head where it meets the spine are tension headaches. My headaches have also gone away now that I've moved out of some stressful situations.

I think many physical problems are caused by stress - so look at reducing your stressful situations before spending lots of money on doctors. Make it a priority.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
(female)

dorotahp HB User

hello, thanks for the post, I've accepted that its likely caused by stress as well. I know it gets worse with stress so thats a sign. I also actually have OCD, so as thats an anxiety disorder it probably more than a coincidence that i have those symptoms, if stress gets better and i still have the symptoms then I'll worry. Thanks

Old 12-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
(female)

inspiron HB User

I have the same problem except my pain is in my left upper eye socket. Any exertion or bending over causes pain and pressure. I have been thru 2 courses of ZPak and antibiotics, Kenalog shot, steroids, Ibupropren, Tegretol, OTC sinus pills. No drainage or blockage. Not sure what to try next short of MRI?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
(female)

ackybreaky01 HB User

I am so glad to hear that other people are experiencing this!!!I was beginning to think I was crazy. I have been to Neurologists, ENT's you name it!! They cant find anything. WHAT??? I cant do things like I use to and I have to be very careful not to laugh too hard or start coughing because the pain stays for a while. Glad to know I'm not crazy!
What is it??? Anyone know what causes this???

Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
(female)

cher19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackybreaky01 View Post
I am so glad to hear that other people are experiencing this!!!I was beginning to think I was crazy. I have been to Neurologists, ENT's you name it!! They cant find anything. WHAT??? I cant do things like I use to and I have to be very careful not to laugh too hard or start coughing because the pain stays for a while. Glad to know I'm not crazy!
What is it??? Anyone know what causes this???
Well it's not just me either - have had all the tests, neurological, mri, have had this probelm for about 15 years, although it did go away for about 5 years when I retired, but has in past month returned - the only thing that gave relief was a propranalol tablet, but that doesn't work as well now - I have always thought it had something to do with a back problem. I can get some relief from the pain sometimes by adjusting posture. Would love to hear if anyone has a cure.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
(female)

saxonsue47 HB User
Talking Re: headache from bending over and cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillo View Post
Dear bend-over/cough headache sufferers, I suffer the same/similar unknown malady. I never used to get head aches of any sort. Ringing in the ears was the last draw; only a few months old: the rest started about eight(?) months ago. I am 59. I am in good health. I, too, notice some amplification with eating in the ear ringing. The pain on bending over never seems to TOTALLY go away, but varies day-to-day week-to-week in it's intensity. Stress may well be some part of the equation I have noticed. It's an odd litmus test of SOME thing. I feel the whole goes waaaay back to some sinus/chest issues I had a some time a go; all symptoms slowly manifesting, serially, as if some virus were migrating and growing; ultimately finding a final resting place some where deep in my brain. Early on, I had strange watery nose-running that would seemingly appear for little reason. For months I had some phlegmatic situation thate would induce frequent “ah-he-ahe-ahems”. Wish I knew what it was and with the health reform deal would move along so I could at least have what advice/wisdom the AMA may have to offer. Ibuprophen does not seem to help much and more, or less coffee, or alcohol does not seem to change anything. I am on self-imposed reduction in caffeine and alcohol as it all is very disturbing. I have wondered if it’s a latent allergy that is causing cerebral disturbance or something like internal shingles. I say “Help!” as well. p

Old 04-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
(female)

saxonsue47 HB User
Talking Re: headache from bending over and cough

Hi, I was intrigued to read your symptoms on this site as they sound just the same as mine, I've been having problems with my eyes watering to the point that I look like I'm crying my eyes out, other times the "tears" just pour out of my nose.......a slight feeling of pressure first..then my nose just gushes...YUCH. I've been having those horrible headaches when I bend over and I'm sure my head is swollen on the left side above my eyebrow...but maybe it's always been that way! Well....I've recently had a scan of my sinuses and am due to go back in June to find out if there is a problem. BUT......I have also had that phlemy problem that you mention......I've been wheezing at night (mainly) when I lie down to sleep....not much during the day. I find it's worse when I lay on one side and hardly affects me when I lie on the other side. The doctor said I'd developed adult asthma as I'm 55 but it doesn't seem like asthma to me as my son has had it all his life and his symptoms are very different to mine.I find I'm coughing just to clear my airways.....I don't actually have a cough. I'm sure all this...watery eyes, running nose, wheezing, phlemy chest are connected but the doctors all look at me as if I'm stupid.......How did you get on.......has your problem been sorted, if so maybe you can give me the answer?

Closed Thread