It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
(male)

nortoons HB User
Question Dull, throbbing, uncomfortable sensation on left side of head

I'm a 27-year-old male. For the past several months, I've been experiencing a sort of throbbing sensation mostly on the left side of my head. It's not really painful, just uncomfortable. It almost feels as if blood vessels are throbbing. Occasionally, it feels a bit tender to the touch. This uncomfortable throbbing sensation is not always present, but it seems like it is present more often than it is not. Most often it is located on the leftmost side of my head, but occasionally I've had an uncomfortable throbbing sensation both towards the back and front left sides of my head, as well.

Now, I am on the computer for the majority of my waking hours. I'm a web designer and cartoon illustrator, and all of my illustrations are digitally produced. This basically means that I'm staring at a computer monitor for at least eight hours a day, and often more. I've been doing it since I graduated from college five years ago, and perhaps it's taking its toll on me. I try to rest my eyes from time to time, but I admit I'm not particularly good about it. Do you think this throbbing sensation could be caused by computer vision syndrome? If so, what can I do to alleviate it?

Also, it's worth noting that I typically drink up to three cups of coffee per day, usually in the mornings and early afternoons. I have never been overtly affected by caffeine--I can drink a cup of coffee and still be ready for a nap. I do exercise regularly--about 45 minutes a day on average. It's tough to say whether the throbbing improves when I'm exercising or just away from the computer--I need to pay more attention. Also, it's very difficult for me to get away from the computer for any meaningful length of time since I do all of my work on it.

Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated. I am scheduled for a routine doctor's appointment in just under one week, but I'd like to do my homework and be prepared to ask him pertinent questions about this unusual throbbing sensation. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
(male)

benjamina HB User
Re: Dull, throbbing, uncomfortable sensation on left side of head

Looks like we have similar condition and it's exactly how you describe it but couldn't figure out what it is. What really caught my attention was that both of us have different working condition, lifestyle and generally different cultural background but we have similar conditions. My doctor sent me away with no answer. My health is generally great according to the blood test results and organs test. I am completely baffled why doctors quickly dismiss this as none sense when in fact it is affecting my life completely. I have this constant pulsating throbbing veins in the left side of my head. It numbs around the painful area (slight painful as in constant but bearable). It's definitely causing a slight pain in my eyes.

I am loss for explanation. Can someone help with similar conditions?

Last edited by benjamina; 07-26-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: spell check

Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

To help your eyes put artificial tears frequently when on the computer and get your bp checked.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
(male)

Drewcifer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortoons View Post
I'm a 27-year-old male. For the past several months, I've been experiencing a sort of throbbing sensation mostly on the left side of my head. It's not really painful, just uncomfortable. It almost feels as if blood vessels are throbbing. Occasionally, it feels a bit tender to the touch. This uncomfortable throbbing sensation is not always present, but it seems like it is present more often than it is not. Most often it is located on the leftmost side of my head, but occasionally I've had an uncomfortable throbbing sensation both towards the back and front left sides of my head, as well.

Now, I am on the computer for the majority of my waking hours. I'm a web designer and cartoon illustrator, and all of my illustrations are digitally produced. This basically means that I'm staring at a computer monitor for at least eight hours a day, and often more. I've been doing it since I graduated from college five years ago, and perhaps it's taking its toll on me. I try to rest my eyes from time to time, but I admit I'm not particularly good about it. Do you think this throbbing sensation could be caused by computer vision syndrome? If so, what can I do to alleviate it?

Also, it's worth noting that I typically drink up to three cups of coffee per day, usually in the mornings and early afternoons. I have never been overtly affected by caffeine--I can drink a cup of coffee and still be ready for a nap. I do exercise regularly--about 45 minutes a day on average. It's tough to say whether the throbbing improves when I'm exercising or just away from the computer--I need to pay more attention. Also, it's very difficult for me to get away from the computer for any meaningful length of time since I do all of my work on it.

Any help anyone can give me would be much appreciated. I am scheduled for a routine doctor's appointment in just under one week, but I'd like to do my homework and be prepared to ask him pertinent questions about this unusual throbbing sensation. Thank you!
Hi there,

I also have these symptoms & also stare at a computer all day... I'm a graphic designer, who only drinks one cup of coffee a day. I thought it may of been stress for me but it happens when I dont think I'm stressed?

Were you able to find a solution?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
(male)

jamiedaking HB User

Hi All,

i am so glad that I found this. I started have the same condition tenderness and throbbinh on top left hand side. I work on pc a lot too about 18 hours. Please let me know if you find diasnosis

Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
(male)

eppinizer HB User

Same thing here. Computer science student, 23 years old. Pain is on the right side for me.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
(female)

AnnaMontana HB User

I'm wondering if everyone in this thread is having headaches related to poor posture from sitting at a computer for hours and hours everyday. It might not have anything to do with your vision. Tight neck and shoulder muscles (traps, scalenes, etc) can cause tension headaches (and eventually migraines.) This can manifest as pain in the back of your head that works its way to one side. You might want to consider seeing a chiropractor or physical therapist. Even if its just one visit, they can give you simple exercises to do at your desk to help your neck and shoulders not tighten up. Just my two cents.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
(male)

eppinizer HB User

Hi Anna,

In my case you were correct. I went to my physician and she said that everything checked out neurologically. She informed me that muscle spasms from my neck were causing the periodic throbbing on one side of the head. Apparently there are some neck muscles that also wrap around the left and right side of the skull. If anyone else has suffered from neck issues in the past, this could very well be the answer.

Exercise really is the answer, but in the interim muscle relaxers could help.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
(female)

frimousse HB User

Hello, First to start off i am not a doctor but i work for an ophthalmologist... HEre is what i think... Being on a computer alot can cause irritation as your cornea becomes dry.. If you do have this symptom, you can put artificial tears in your eye to soothe it. Do not use Visine as where i work they REALLY do not like it.. don't know why but they don't. So, i would suggest Refresh Tears by Bausch & Laumb, or Systane Balance, They also come preservative free. Some patients react to the preservatives in the product... If you see that your eye is worst after a while when you put the drop in, then change to a preservative free one. Also, if you keep the drops in the fridge, it provides a cooling feeling and i feel it is better... They provide a more natural tear... Using this will not affect your eye in any way... ALso, I think that maybe you should see an Optometrist to get a complete eye exam... THis includes, IOP check (intra ocular pressure) this can cause headaches if pressure is high, vision check, retinal exam, macula etc.... It is one thing you can check into... ALso, to take a break from the computer is good too. Like i said, i am not a doctor but i think maybe this would be a good thing to do.. it can't hurt right.

ANyway, hope this helps somewhat.

Closed Thread