It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

aembry HB User
sharp pains in temple...

Has anyone ever experienced sharp, stabbing pains in the temple. Mine is mostly on my right side. They come on out of nowhere and only last for a few seconds. They also come and go throughout the day. I woke up 2 mornings ago with a really bad stabbing pain in my right eye and since then I have been experiencing the pains in my temple. I'm only 22 but I'm kind of worried that it is something serious! I have read alot of things about ice pick headaches but I'm not sure that's what is going on!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: sharp pains in temple...

that does sound like an ice pick headache, however if you are new to having such a headache it is best to get checked out by a doctor to rule out anything else. Like migraines, they can start out of the blue at any age. A friend of mine is in her 30s and never had a single migraine until a few years ago. Now she gets them several times a year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

lutsen422 HB User

It's interesting that you mention this. I have had migraines for years, but last week I had the kind of headaches that you describe - I thought I was having little strokes. It was terrifying. I went to the ER and they called them ice pick headaches. I've had little versions of them since then, but not nearly as bad. I'd get it checked out just to be sure.
Good luck!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
(female)

aembry HB User

I'm glad to hear someone else experiences the same thing! I can be very paranoid and I have anxiety really bad at times. When something is wrong I automatically assume the worst! The first thing I thought of was an aneurysm or a brain tumor. I know it's possible with my age but I'm guessing it's rare. But that doesn't keep me from driving myself crazy about it!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

lutsen422 HB User

I'm exactly the same way - the headaches came back yesterday with a vengeance and I ended up in the ER again. They did an MRI and bloodwork and, aside from my TSH being a bit high, they figure it was stress. But I was sooo panicked going in there that my BP was 140/120 or something and my pulse was 121. I was sure they were going to find a big tumor on my brain! hang in there!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

aembry HB User

i know! it's terrible to always think there is something bad wrong! i know that more than likely it is nothing serious but i can't seem to stop thinking that it is! i literally broke down crying over it last night. my hubby thinks i'm crazy.. he says i've been like this since he has known me.. and he's right! wish i could get over my fear of thinking i'm just gonna fall over dead or something.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
(female)

aembry HB User

I have to go for a ct scan tomorrow with contrast. Has anyone ever had one of these. I'm worried about that dye stuff that have to put in you.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
(male)

DOLORE HB User
Wink Re: sharp pains in temple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aembry View Post
Has anyone ever experienced sharp, stabbing pains in the temple. Mine is mostly on my right side. They come on out of nowhere and only last for a few seconds. They also come and go throughout the day. I woke up 2 mornings ago with a really bad stabbing pain in my right eye and since then I have been experiencing the pains in my temple. I'm only 22 but I'm kind of worried that it is something serious! I have read alot of things about ice pick headaches but I'm not sure that's what is going on!
Hi this happened to me last week.This is different than yours though.Get a MRI.It was my left temple.I had a MRI done last year for migrains.So I didn't have a MRI again.The pain was very severe .It was like a pick hitting my temple and it would last just a couple of seconds.Then after 30 or so seconds it would come back again.I thought it was either a blood vessel popping or a tumor.Went to doctor and told me it was Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) sydrome.Told prescribed ibuprofen 800mg 3 times a day..The pain went away.If you are getting these sharp pains get a MRI first it could me more serious

Last edited by DOLORE; 08-02-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
(male)

DOLORE HB User

Hi this happened to me last week.This is different than yours though.Get a MRI.It was my left temple.I had a MRI done last year for migrains.So I didn't have a MRI again.The pain was very severe .It was like a pick hitting my temple and it would last just a couple of seconds.Then after 30 or so seconds it would come back again.I thought it was either a blood vessel popping or a tumor.Went to doctor and told me it was Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) sydrome.Told prescribed ibuprofen 800mg 3 times a day..The pain went away.If you are getting these sharp pains get a MRI first it could me more serious

Old 11-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User

Definately sounds like what I am going through. My doctor called them ice pick headaches also. They are not common, hitting women over 45 the most. Yet only 3% of the population suffer from them. Mine have been going on for the past 3 months, and are getting worse. Some days are fine - then out of the blue I am stopped in my tracks by the stabbing pain just about my temple. Today it has happened about 16 - 18 times. The only think we can take is a preventative. Indomethacin is usually prescribed but I have an ulcer so I ahve to try something else. I sure wish they'd find a reason, and a cure.

Closed Thread