It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
(female)

kerrielomax HB User
i have had a bad migraine for 5 days what dose it mean

i have had a bad migraine for 5 days what dose it mean

Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
(male)

thes3raph1m HB User
Re: i have had a bad migraine for 5 days what dose it mean

welcome to the world of migraines... 5 days is a standard migraine duration.

migraines generally present as a bad headache combined with nausea, dizzyness, vertigo, photophobia (sensetivity to light) sensetivity to noise and sometimes chills/fever.

5 days is a normal length for a migraine, most times they start as a headache then more symptoms appear over the course of 1-2 days, nausea and photophobia are the first symptoms to appear with the headache, seeing aura's or sparkles are common.

the best cure is to lie down in a cool but comfortable room in complete darkness (not even natural light) take something for the pain

a common medication available OTC for migraine relieg is an APAP (paracetamol in the UK or acetaminophen in the US) plus codeine for the pain with an antihistamine type drug for the nausea (it will end in "ine" each brand use their own preferred drug here)

take the recomended dose with a large glass of water (if you can stomach it) and try to sleep in the darkness, this will relieve mose migraine headaches.

however, if you have a more severe chronic migraine developing you will not notice any improvement of the symptoms and should see a doctor who will be able to diagnose your condition and prescribe a medication to relieve your pain. if it becomes a recurrant problem you may be prescribed a one-per-day medication to help prevent migraines.

fun fact: the chemicals released during orgasm are proven to help reduce a headache faster than any OTC medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User
Re: i have had a bad migraine for 5 days what dose it mean

what meds have you tried for relief? The only OTC that can help is Excedrin and my neurolgist told me actually to take Benadryl. Just FYI the3, nothing with codeine is OTC in the US (I don't know where the OP is from).
Also, 5 days for a migraine is NOT the norm.. 1-3 days is. But some people do get them lasting longer and in that case you probably need to contact your doctor for a prescriptive abortive medication to stop it (my doc usually will give me samples so I don't have to go to the pharmacy). Hopefully by now your headache is gone though, migraines are aweful aren't they!

Closed Thread