It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
(male)

Mystical HB User
Recurring migraine and lingering pain - don't know what to do

Hello,

Over the last week I've experienced two severe migraine headaches. The first had a sudden onset while working out, I had to stop immediately and barely made it back home. It started as an intense throbbing in the back of the neck and then spread to the top/sides. It lasted a few hours with lots of vomiting.

During the week I felt a milder headache come and go, I just took some Advil to try to get rid of it. Then Saturday morning it hit me full force again and I had to call an ambulance to take me to emergency. This is definitely NOT the best place to be when having a migraine!

They gave me:
-Dexamethasone
-Maxeran

Neither helped at all. They sent me home and told me to take naproxen and make an appointment with a neurologist, which is in two weeks. I didn't want to wait so I saw my doctor and he gave me:

-Frova (a few free samples)
-Prochlorazine

So basically my daily "solution" has been Robaxacet (w/ Acetaminophen) 4 times a day, Naproxen 2 times a day, and Frova I used twice. Nothing really helps much, if anything the Robaxacet is the most helpful because it relieves the tension in my neck which seems to be the source of the pain and throbbing.

Here are my questions:

1) Does this sound like an actual migraine? It feels like a throbbing in the back of the neck and makes me nauseous. I've had many migraines before but they were never in this area and always hit me in the middle of the night. It gets worse upon physical exertion or stress.

2) Is taking these pills everyday even if the pain is not unbearable a bad idea? I've only taken the Frova when I felt the migraine was returning, but I'm worried that I'm getting rebound headaches from the other pills. However, I'm terrified of having the migraine return.

3) Is prochlorazine helpful at all for this? My doctor says it is prescribed for nausea, but that it can actually help with the headache too. It sounds like it can have side effects and is actually an antipsychotic, so I have not yet taken any.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Brian

Last edited by Mystical; 03-14-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Recurring migraine and lingering pain - don't know what to do

Prochlorperazine CAN help headaches, especialy migraine type headaches, and it is very good for nausea. Side effects are uncommon in the usual doses.

It would be ok to take the naproxen and robaxacet regularly for a few days, to allow your body to get over whatever is causing your headaches, but if you find your self needing them every day long term, then you need to go back to your doctor.

If you feel the problem is in your neck, a couple of visits to a physical therapist might be especialy usefull - well worth the money.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
(female)

lindseyvanbeek HB User

I suffer from migraines as well and what you described about your episodes sounds a lot like migraines. If they become severe, the advil and other over the counter pills will not cut it anymore. I know that most of us do not want to consider taking something stronger so often because of the rebound factor and addictive factor. But sometimes that is our only option. I can't avoid rebound headaches because there are only 2 medications that have ever worked for my migraines. As far as the Frova goes...there aren't any real dangers to being on that long term, but for tension migraines I don't think it will be very effective (I took it for a while and it didn't make a dent in the pain for very long). If they are in fact tension migraines, I would suggest a combination medication that has some type of muscle relaxer and pain killer in it. The best things I have found are some older medications called Esgic and Norgesic for abortive medications. They contain acetaminophen for the pain, caffeine for fast delivery, and another drug that will help with the muscles. I would definitely go to a neurologist and they will do an MRI and try you on some preventative meds. Those will differ but some of the side effects can be bad. As for a nausea med, I have found that finnergan(promethazine) works best and it will also help with the migraine. The most important thing to remember is that migraines are a really tricky condition and a lot of doctors who are not familiar with them will not fully believe that you have them. Remember to be your own advocate and fight for what you need. Do your own research and don't be afraid to make your own suggestions. Good luck

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User

I have to second the effectiveness of finnergan. I am also on seizure medications daily to help lessen the frequency of migraines. If you have an appointment with a neurologist in two weeks a headache diary might be helpful. You can find them on the internet in several different fashions. When completed well they can help the neurologist form a picture of your migraines and hopefully help with deciding a course of action. Good luck.

Closed Thread